COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sensitive Ex-national beauty queen stirs backlash over comments on latest current events-protests n stuff(sorry tryin' for neutral even-handed ness here) (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
So in my country, the Miss Universe national beauty queen 2017 commented on the latest current events in the US, re: the ongoing protests n she put her foot in her mouth by saying:
Sth ridiculous n absurd.
"To the black people, relax, take it as a challenge, makes you stronger.

"You chose to be born as a 'colored' person in America for a reason. To learn a certain lesson."

So then she got backlash:

Until she lost some contracts:
N the national chapter/local director of Miss Universe organisation took her to task:
Even asking her, wdym ur white?(the 2017 national winner is mixed-race , brazilian-chinese malaysian but somewhere she identified herself as white n said she got bullied in school for it)

I think it got too much for her (when she lost contracts/job) so;
Then she said sorry:

Reactions differed.

Later:
basically saying, i heard y'all but im gonna keep speaking my truth.

Miss Universe org n event is so problematic, even without this person(she seems to hv severed contract abruptly, prematurely in 2018 when her contract was for 3 yrs). So im just gonna post this first without further personal comments now. I might edit/add more later. Just thot this was interesting n a snapshot/look at my country.
Wat do u guys think, if anything?

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Ok, my personal reaction is wtf? Wat r u thinking? How can u say/think tat n post it out, first tat its a choice to be born black.

Then tat u believe in new age woo woo mysticism,
which is a valid choice for u to believe in.

But if people knew tat before or during ur controversial posts,i think it may hv explained so much of the mindset tat ur thinking.

Still way out there for me n not sympathetic at all to less privileged people than u seem to be but people might hv understood/(or misunderstood less) wat u posted earlier.

Just a mess n unsympathetic person i believe.

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
This woman is so damn ignorant

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
If more people believed that you choose everything about yourself and how you're born that's one thing but no one believes in that and you're going to make a statement like that? Just no

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
Even asking her, wdym ur white?(the 2017 national winner is mixed-race , brazilian-chinese malaysian but somewhere she identified herself as white n said she got bullied in school for it)
She’s not wrong per se, she is somewhat white if she’s part Brazilian I would think, iirc ~65% of Hispanics call themselves white, (from the US census or something)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
If more people believed that you choose everything about yourself and how you're born that's one thing but no one believes in that and you're going to make a statement like that? Just no
Life plot twist, poor people are just hardmode gamers

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
That's exactly her logic and it makes NO SENSE, like even if this was true it still doesn't justify police brutality!
My thot abt this is if she had reversed the order of her posts or parallelled them smh, most people would hv dismissed her post abt black people choosing to be born into a hard life, since she believes ridiculous n absurd things so shdnt be taken seriously, or sth along those lines.
Would u take everything a person u think is flaky seriously? But she got taken seriously n so got backlash, (Note i think she has every right to believe the things she posted in #2 but i dont take seriously everything said by a person who believes such, everything would need to be considered in light of this belief)
[I dont agree with the police brutality n am ambivalent abt the violence since reading abt rodney king in the 90s? n its aftermath, including the killing/death of korean-american shop-owner then {but not the protests}, so hvnt posted much abt it. Not sure wat to say or how i think bout it all, its complicated-plus i dont think i hv much to contribute, being far away n still thinking abt it.

She’s not wrong per se, she is somewhat white if she’s part Brazilian I would think, iirc ~65% of Hispanics call themselves white, (from the US census or something)
But shes mixed, brazilian-chinese; the chinese part makes her only partly white. My cousin's child is mixed chinese-russian parentage n i believe isnt deemed white, or only part white; hoping the child doesnt get treated badly like this woman was in my country(my cousin n fam r in US now so its different)
Life plot twist, poor people are just hardmode gamers
Hv u ever read this:
Opposite or corollary to ur statement, it posits that straight white male is the easy (depending on circumstances) mode, so therefore any other setting is hard(er); among the many comments (IIRC) poor black woman is hardest (again depends on circumstances; country, education n others- not ur intelligence as regards education but in certain countries girls arent school-going or only until certain age, so harder setting less education opportunities). I musta read thru all comments when i first came across it, so memory may be inaccurate. But very illuminating for me n others. But lot of pushback at that time from those disagreeing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread