(G)I-DLE Fan Apologizes For Causing A Misunderstanding About Yuqi’s Alleged “Colorist” Statement (2 Viewers)

Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Source: (G)I-DLE Fan Apologizes For Causing A Misunderstanding About Yuqi's Alleged "Colorist" Statement

(G)I-DLE Fan Apologizes For Causing A Misunderstanding About Yuqi’s Alleged “Colorist” Statement

“There are two major, regrettable mistakes I made in tweeting this.”


(G)I-DLE‘s Yuqi was accused of saying a “colorist” statement during their recent live broadcast. When Shuhua claims she wants to be a police, Yuqi responded, “If you want to be a police, your face needs to be darker. When you catch criminals at night, your face will stand out.”



However, a fan account had summarized her comment to a phrase that could be misinterpreted as a colorist or racist joke. Yuqi was soon criticized for the misunderstanding.

After the controversy spread widely among (G)I-DLE fans, the fan account realized their mistake and uploaded a sincere apology.



They explained that when they first uploaded the post about Yuqi’s comment, they knew she was not being racially prejudice.

I decided to tweet about this exchange, even after a bit of hesitation. The reason was because although it mentioned skin color, it was very clear to me that the words did not come from any kind of racial prejudice.
— IDLEVIEW
They acknowledged that their quick summary and translation delivered the wrong message and caused a misunderstanding.

While Yuqi’s comment, spoken in Korean, had very little froom for misunderstanding, I later realized my translation was not.
There are two major, regrettable mistakes I made in tweeting this. The first is my sloppy translation. The tweet I made was a crude summary of Shuhua and Yuqi’s exchange, put in the simplest way possible. It was not even a word-by-word translation, and I chose to put it in terms like “skin color”, “dark”, “white” based on the short term memory I had on the conversation.
Being one of the quickest to translate the Vlive, I thought it would be okay to deliver a general idea of what was going on, instead of doing subtitle-worthy translations that would eventually be provided later by other fans.
— IDLEVIEW

They emphasized that all accusations of Yuqi being a “colorist” or “racist” are untrue and that the sole fault laid on their carelessness.

"My carelessness eventually brought about certain interpretations that Yuqi was making a racist remake, and I desperately wish I had gone over the original video, revised my words a bit more to reduce any room for misunderstanding because such accusations against Yuqi are absolutely untrue."

— IDLEVIEW


They also explained that they lacked consideration when quickly posting the tweet as they did not fully take into consideration the international communities that would be affected by the misunderstanding.

My second mistake is lack of consideration. I did not think deeply enough to expect that the simple mention of skin color would automatically be regarded as problematic to the international communities.
— IDLEVIEW
Lastly, they apologized to Yuqi, the fans, and everyone who was affected by their original post.

I apologize to Neverland who had to see negative comments about Yuqi who only deserves to be loved. I apologize to those who work hard every day to sustain the positive image of (G)I-DLE.
Finally, I apologize to Yuqi who is being criticized not for what she has done, but for my wrongdoings and carelessness.
— IDLEVIEW
Read IDLEVIEW’s full apology below:

gidle yuqi apology 1


gidle yuqi apology 2
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
Unfortunately, many people deliberately spread this sort of misinterpretation or misinformation about an idol, and the resulting scandal can REALLY hurt their career even if untrue. Fans need to be more skeptical about these things and not bandwagon "cancel" a celebrity right away.

I'm glad this particular person apologised, but there are so many more like them. It's especially scary because most international K-pop fans don't know Korean and are susceptible to false translations since they can't confirm what was said themselves.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
So like what is the consensus on gidle anyway are they racist or no
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Sounds like it's a problem with interpretation. The statement could be taken several ways it seems and i'm guessing Yuqi was more a long the lines saying "you are so pale people would see you even at night". But I can see with how it was translated things could get confusing because i'm not even sure if my interpretation is right either
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,363
Reactions Received
76,684
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,215
Ship
Wreck
I don't see this being in any way racist even with the original message because saying she'd need darker skin says nothing about her race.

Thinking it's about race would be jumping to the conclusion that she could only mean black people when there are dark skinned asians, white people can get tans to make them look orange.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think this is just a case of people getting riled up over misinformation and misinterpretation.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread