Has any other boy group done it? (1 Viewer)

Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,579
Reactions Received
6,439
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I know alot people like to compare EXO and NCT
saying they cant compare etc etc

but the hype exo had at debut was insane...
and they were able to keep that amount of popularity since debut...

Im not a exo fan
[was nearly one once until my bias left]

but i honestly i dont think any group has ever compared to actual fan level..


sales wise yes there might be alot groups what can compare now..
due to more availability etc

but
there only current groups what were somewhat close
maybe txt and itzy

but even than doesnt feel as insane
plus txt fans dont even feel like txt fans << i know some are me being one but you get alot bts fans claiming to be txt fans

itzy fan base is pretty quite also



bts wasnt popular at debut before someone says bts..
same with ateez and loona also nowhere near same level​
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,383
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Stray Kids maybe? The thing about that is that it limits groups to big 3 groups because other than those, the only one I can think of that was super popular at debut was BAP and their fanbase diminished, and JYP is known more for girl groups than boy groups. While Ikon are flops by YG standards and Winner got done too dirty to ever have a huge fanbase, so that kind of limits it even more. But for me id say Stray Kids yeah
 

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
.
.
Joined
2 July 2019
Messages
4,814
Reactions Received
19,142
Location
3ᑢ 273⁷
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,000
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Ship
Now that you mention it EXO really did have a lot of hype and a pretty sizable fanbase waiting for them at debut, I can't really think of anything like it

i know some are me being one but you get alot bts fans claiming to be txt fans
I always thought this was going to be the case but just in terms of the MOAs I know, not many of them actually stanned or even seem to like BTS that much. Armys gave TXT a lot of hype but I don't think they necessarily gave them any more fans, I find that really interesting. The hype from Armys as well as the anticipation of being BTS' 'successor' gave them a lot of anticipation overall but not fans, the people who did become fans recognised TXT for being TXT, not as BTS's younger brother group or successor therefore I don't think the hype and anticipation surrounding TXT before debut really influenced their actual fanbase size that much. I would compare their hype level to Exo but not the popularity
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Willow
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I can't think of too many boy groups.....Twice may be comparable
EXO is interesting though because they were big in terms of a fanbase but didn't have much recognition from the public until 'Growl'. SM has a good strategy for building a fanbase cause they know where the money is at.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Willow

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
shinee? I'm not an old kpop fan but they seem to have always been popular, they still have a pretty decently sized fanbase as well.
I'm not well versed in fanbase histories that much,, but I believe their fanbase wasn't too big at the start? It was a pretty average sized fanbase for SM. I think their fanbase blew up somewhere in the beginning, but it didn't start out booming like EXO's
 

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
SuJu, maybe. Seo Taeiji and the Boys? Idk, a little too old for me to know. I'll ask my mother. Winner? They were dubbed monster rookies at the huge and immediate success, but as I left the fandom sometime in 2014/2015, I don't know how steady the fanbase stayed.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I'm not well versed in fanbase histories that much,, but I believe their fanbase wasn't too big at the start? It was a pretty average sized fanbase for SM. I think their fanbase blew up somewhere in the beginning, but it didn't start out booming like EXO's
but wasn't exo small in the beginning? I always hear their fans talking about how people called them "the failure of sm" or something like that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Willow

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
but wasn't exo small in the beginning? I always hear their fans talking about how people called them "the failure of sm" or something like that.
They had a big fanbase, but their songs weren't that well-loved by the whole of Korea or something. Commercial success didn't come as quickly as the larger fanbase, but they were still huge I think.
 
Joined
1 March 2019
Messages
6,661
Reactions Received
14,598
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
but wasn't exo small in the beginning? I always hear their fans talking about how people called them "the failure of sm" or something like that.
Mama sold a decent amount of albums, but nobody turned up to fansignings, and EXO-M spent most of their time in China. They then disappeared for fourteen months until XOXO came out, which got them wins but people belittled them for that. Then Growl was the repack song which blew them up.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,383
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I'm not well versed in fanbase histories that much,, but I believe their fanbase wasn't too big at the start? It was a pretty average sized fanbase for SM. I think their fanbase blew up somewhere in the beginning, but it didn't start out booming like EXO's
Shinee swept all the rookie awards unlike Exo, but then again no other huge groups debuted in Shinees year I don't think like Exos did. Fanbases in general were smaller in Shinees day though
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Willow

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Shinee swept all the rookie awards unlike Exo, but then again no other huge groups debuted in Shinees year I don't think like Exos did. Fanbases in general were smaller in Shinees day though
True true. I think fandoms started getting noticeably bigger during 3rd gen kpop?
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,383
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
True true. I think fandoms started getting noticeably bigger during 3rd gen kpop?
Yeah for sure, at the very least international fandoms
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
iKON for sure.
After WIN and Mix and Match people were super excited for them to debut and My Type was a HIT.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread