honest question about dahyun (twice) and korean beauty standards (4 Viewers)

Joined
23 July 2019
Messages
106
Reactions Received
462
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
so i saw one of those "visual ranking (by korean beauty standards)" and by god i know they're never very accurate, but i saw dahyun ranked low and i was curious about this? note that even if she doesn't conform much to korean beauty standards, generally, doesn't mean she's ugly. indeed, i see a lot of people who truly don't conform to usual beauty standards in sk still be praised for their looks in sk. (i hate how a lot of fans outside asia don't apply critical thinking when it comes to said beauty standards anyway, lol. beauty standards ANYWHERE don't truly determine a person's beauty)

it said that her face is considered cute, not beautiful. but i honest to god thought she was an official visual? i'm just a casual twice fan and she seems to have a lot of screen time in their videos. she also looks really conventionally pretty?




she has a wide nose and unfortunately that attracts undeserved hate in some people's cases, but kim lip (loona) never receives it for her nose. (note: I'M NOT SAYING SHE SHOULD! poc with wide noses are gorgeous and they should be celebrated.) kim lip has a really narrow chin so her nose actually seems wider than dahyun's, but she's still considered conventionally pretty in sk and outside it. so i'm just wondering -- it SHOULDN'T matter, dahyun IS beautiful -- is she actually considered "just cute, not beautiful" in sk generally???
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
As far as I knew Koreans tend to really like her.

As for her fit for Korean beauty standard.

Her milky white skin is a feature that they prize.


I think Dubu is so pretty and cute. She has very clean proportional features.



 
Last edited:
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
I find Dahyun very beautiful with unique visual but unfortunately people call her the visual hole with Chaeyoung. She always ranks low in the visual polls that I saw about Twice.

She does fit Korean standards but in an unusual way and people don’t like too much difference. From what I see she is also loved due to her entertaining personality. She shines the most in variety shows.
 
Joined
23 July 2019
Messages
106
Reactions Received
462
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I find Dahyun very beautiful with unique visual but unfortunately people call her the visual hole with Chaeyoung. She always ranks low in the visual polls that I saw about Twice.

She does fit Korean standards but in an unusual way and people don’t like too much difference. From what I see she is also loved due to her entertaining personality. She shines the most in variety shows.
damn wtf.............. how could you call her a visual hole??? and i think chaeyoung is really pretty too, she seems to be more on the sexy side a bit. her looks in the "heart shaker" mv were some of my favorites.
 
Joined
23 July 2019
Messages
106
Reactions Received
462
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
As far as I knew Koreans tend to really like her.

As for her fit for Korean beauty standard.

Her milky white skin is a feature that they prize.


I think Dubu is so pretty and cute. She has very clean proportional features.



i'm asian myself so i will never not be iffy on the milky white skin thing (it is A Problem), but she's soo pretty wtf

you're right, her features are v clean and well-proportioned 🤩
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
I find Dahyun very beautiful with unique visual but unfortunately people call her the visual hole with Chaeyoung. She always ranks low in the visual polls that I saw about Twice.

She does fit Korean standards but in an unusual way and people don’t like too much difference. From what I see she is also loved due to her entertaining personality. She shines the most in variety shows.
Are you talking about International polls or Korean polls?
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Twice is a group where everyone is considered a drop-dead gorgeous visual in a unique way. Dubu ranking low doesn't mean anything against her, she's gorgeous but compared to the other members, many do consider her the "visual hole." I've never actually seen her get hate or criticism for her face tho

It's usually Sana, Tzuyu, Mina, Momo, and Nayeon that dominate the visual rankings
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,224
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,687
Ship
Wreck
If this was a Twice visual ranking then it doesn't mean much as at the end of the day every group has to have someone who is the best and worst at something like Hwasa can be considered the worst vocalist in Mamamoo but she'd still wipe the floor with a lot of other vocalists.
 
Joined
9 October 2019
Messages
437
Reactions Received
1,568
Location
Italy
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Dahyun ranks high in my list in terms of beauty, she is cute but also beatiful. She is not really part of visuals and usually she is considered to be one of the funniest members of the group, but at the end of the day each member is beautiful in their own way. P.S. Visual "holes" are non-existent in TWICE for me.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
all that I know is that I just love Dahyun and that she is one of the most precious idols
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
damn wtf.............. how could you call her a visual hole??? and i think chaeyoung is really pretty too, she seems to be more on the sexy side a bit. her looks in the "heart shaker" mv were some of my favorites.
I don’t understand either. Dahyun is one of the Twice members that I noticed the most the first time that I saw them. And she is really stunning in the Dance the night away mv. I was amazed by her beauty. I agree about Chaeyoung too. :nekolove:

Are you talking about International polls or Korean polls?
International polls and I have seen plenty of nasty comments about her and Chaeyoung but mostly about her because people say that at least Chaeyoung is useful ( not my opinion of course).
 
Joined
30 March 2019
Messages
5,067
Reactions Received
15,900
Location
𝚂𝚞𝚐𝚊'𝚜 𝚁𝚊𝚙𝚜 🤍
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Squoosh ♡
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
they / them
Ship
Wreck
If she ranked low, Jennie (BLACKPINK) should rate low.
They have similar features. Not all the same but similar.
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
Dahyun is very pretty imo, but I can see why people would call her cute rather than beautiful. She's so cute and squishy. :llama_squish:

However don't koreans usually like people with quite small facial features, whereas it seems like Dahyun has a bigger nose and mouth than, say, Tzuyu? So maybe that's the case.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
her skin :bigcatcry: god i want it
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I guess it's because Twice is so stacked visually, some people might rank her last but she's still extremely pretty. Also her personality in varieties and stuff is more dorky/funny and she can be a bit of a clown so people might not immediately think of her when they think "visual" :yolk:

But she has a lot of fans and is popular.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread