How many times have you changed your area of study? (1 Viewer)

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
When I first started college, my major was undecided and I really couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted to study. Eventually, I majored in Mass Communications and then switched to Film Production. And now I don't even know if I want to continue studying anything to do with media because I've lost a bit of interest in it and there's some personal reasons that go into it as well.... For some reason, now I'm debating on whether or not I should study psychology which is the total opposite of what I wanted to do beforehand. I mean I have thought about it on and off before, but I was like "No, I don't want to do this" and I suddenly have an interest in it.
:zoomeyes:

Okay, enough of my stupid rambling. This is kind of a dumb thread anyways. lol

Anyways, have any of you changed what you've wanted to study? If so how many times do you think you've done it?
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
719
Reactions Received
6,480
Location
Buddy Hole @ Zoom
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Around 5-6 times. I changed from bio all the way to just poli sci. For health reasons, I left bio as the environment was toxic and I lost interest in the subject. The hyper-competitiveness did not sit well with my personality and I couldn't see myself there. Right now, I have an interest in computer science (which I plan on pursuing before continuing on to a professional school).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka and lexus

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Wow I thought I was alone. I don't know anyone who has changed as many times as me in real life. Most of my friends have already graduated and already working and I literally just found what I want to do in life.

Throughout my whole high school life, I wanted to be a forensic psychologist so the first degree I took in uni was Bachelor of Arts and my goal was to major in Psychology and if possible, get a double major and add criminology to it. At the time, I hated science (or so I thought) so I took arts since it was possible to major in Psych in both science and arts. But the problem was, I hated Arts so much. In year 11 and year 12, I took subjects from all disciplines (Legal, Psych, Lit, English & Maths) so I could have a taste in everything and I was really good at Lit and English so I took subjects in those areas in my first year but I was so bored. I'm someone who loves school but I hated my course so much that I didn't even want to go to uni anymore. So I left it and studied a diploma of counseling for about a year after that. The problem was, I ended up disliking that too. I loved psychology but the counselling aspect just wasn't for me and the diploma wasn't really about psychology but basically just preparing us for a career in counseling. I was bored with that as well so I left it but then that was when I was beyond confused about what to do in life because all I knew I wanted to be was a psychologist and since I hated counseling, I didn't know what to do. I was literally on the verge of being depressed when a family friend recommended I try science. I rejected it at first since I thought I liked art more than science but then since I had no other interest areas but I still wanted to study I gave it a try. I was lucky that my grades were good so I got into a Bachelor of Biomedicine and that's what I'm currently studying now. And honestly, it's crazy how much I actually love it. If I was told just 5 years ago that I would be in a science degree I would have laughed but look at me now. So now I'm in biomed and although we don't have to major in anything in this course, I'm majoring in Microbiology and I love it so much. I'm so glad I gave it a shot. I'm back to enjoying school and I actually have goals in life again so I'm happy. So that's my life story lol.
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
Tbh, I'm about to add a second bachelor's degree in History, because I have no idea whether I will really want to continue studying Biology. So for now, I'm doing both, but I might just change it again later on, idk.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus and Ahsoka

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
It's rather hard to change where I'm around, I changed it once from Data processing to Social Sciences (nth to do with each others).. wanted to change it again to History, but then found out it'd be harded than i thought and just kinda got stuck with Social Sciences ^^;
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Wow I thought I was alone. I don't know anyone who has changed as many times as me in real life. Most of my friends have already graduated and already working and I literally just found what I want to do in life.

Throughout my whole high school life, I wanted to be a forensic psychologist so the first degree I took in uni was Bachelor of Arts and my goal was to major in Psychology and if possible, get a double major and add criminology to it. At the time, I hated science (or so I thought) so I took arts since it was possible to major in Psych in both science and arts. But the problem was, I hated Arts so much. In year 11 and year 12, I took subjects from all disciplines (Legal, Psych, Lit, English & Maths) so I could have a taste in everything and I was really good at Lit and English so I took subjects in those areas in my first year but I was so bored. I'm someone who loves school but I hated my course so much that I didn't even want to go to uni anymore. So I left it and studied a diploma of counseling for about a year after that. The problem was, I ended up disliking that too. I loved psychology but the counselling aspect just wasn't for me and the diploma wasn't really about psychology but basically just preparing us for a career in counseling. I was bored with that as well so I left it but then that was when I was beyond confused about what to do in life because all I knew I wanted to be was a psychologist and since I hated counseling, I didn't know what to do. I was literally on the verge of being depressed when a family friend recommended I try science. I rejected it at first since I thought I liked art more than science but then since I had no other interest areas but I still wanted to study I gave it a try. I was lucky that my grades were good so I got into a Bachelor of Biomedicine and that's what I'm currently studying now. And honestly, it's crazy how much I actually love it. If I was told just 5 years ago that I would be in a science degree I would have laughed but look at me now. So now I'm in biomed and although we don't have to major in anything in this course, I'm majoring in Microbiology and I love it so much. I'm so glad I gave it a shot. I'm back to enjoying school and I actually have goals in life again so I'm happy. So that's my life story lol.
Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I didn't really develop much of an interest in Psychology until recently. It's something that I refused to even think about. But, then I realized that I do love helping people. Long story short, I have anxiety so I thought that I could maybe help young children and teenagers who deal with it since I have personal experience with it. I'm not entirely sure if it's what I want to do yet, but I'm still considering it. ^^
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy and Ahsoka

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I didn't really develop much of an interest in Psychology until recently. It's something that I refused to even think about. But, then I realized that I do love helping people. Long story short, I have anxiety so I thought that I could maybe help young children and teenagers who deal with it since I have personal experience with it. I'm not entirely sure if it's what I want to do yet, but I'm still considering it. ^^
Honestly psychology is really fun. If you have a genuine interest in it, I’d say go for it. The main reason I have never looked back at psych (and the reason I avoid all neuroscience subjects) is because I’m literally traumatised from my experiences. But the subject itself is pretty good. I’m just glad I had the opportunity to try counselling out and see that a career in that area wouldn’t be for me rather than completing my degree and figuring it out too late.
For me, the only downside to me changing courses was that since all the subjects I changed into had nothing to do with each other, I had to start from scratch and couldn’t add any of my successfully completed subjects as credit. But in the end, I got to study some other subjects I never would have otherwise so that’s good.

Also, this is why I’m against the system of forcing 17/18 year olds to choose their future. If they gave us more opportunities to explore each area that would be fine but the subjects in high school are so different to uni. The subjects I LOVED in high school were like nightmares in uni. I’m amazed at people who actually manage to find something they love without exploring anything else. So I’m glad I wasn’t pressured in any way to stick to something I hate and got the chance to change. If you really don’t like what you’re doing now, don’t force yourself to stick through it until the end because that course literally depends your future and your career.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
Honestly psychology is really fun. If you have a genuine interest in it, I’d say go for it. The main reason I have never looked back at psych (and the reason I avoid all neuroscience subjects) is because I’m literally traumatised from my experiences. But the subject itself is pretty good. I’m just glad I had the opportunity to try counselling out and see that a career in that area wouldn’t be for me rather than completing my degree and figuring it out too late.
For me, the only downside to me changing courses was that since all the subjects I changed into had nothing to do with each other, I had to start from scratch and couldn’t add any of my successfully completed subjects as credit. But in the end, I got to study some other subjects I never would have otherwise so that’s good.

Also, this is why I’m against the system of forcing 17/18 year olds to choose their future. If they gave us more opportunities to explore each area that would be fine but the subjects in high school are so different to uni. The subjects I LOVED in high school were like nightmares in uni. I’m amazed at people who actually manage to find something they love without exploring anything else. So I’m glad I wasn’t pressured in any way to stick to something I hate and got the chance to change. If you really don’t like what you’re doing now, don’t force yourself to stick through it until the end because that course literally depends your future and your career.
I'm still thinking that I'll give Psychology a go. I think it might be good for me since I can help people that have gone through similar experiences as me. The one thing that I'm scared of is that I won't like it. But, I guess I won't know until I try it.
And I agree that we shouldn't make 17/18 year olds choose their careers. It's so hard to figure out what you want to do especially at that age. There's so much pressure put on you when you're still really young. A lot of the stuff I've learned in high school was completely different from what I've learned in college too and none of that stuff applies to what you'll do later in life. Unfortunately with my high school they just passed you onto the next class and they couldn't care less about how low your grade was.... :/
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suzy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread