Video I didn't know Yuqi and Shuhua covered SHE's Superstar recently in their concert (1 Viewer)

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
.
.
Joined
24 November 2018
Messages
52,131
Reactions Received
94,782
Location
Dreamworld
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
132,191
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
Nice!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Selfmate
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,144
Reactions Received
53,001
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
174,123
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
oh no, I had missed that! when was their heyday?
I would say the naughties aka between 2000-2010ish
but they are pretty successful in their own individual rights as well

I was aware of them during the 00s as a lot of Taiwan variety shows were broadcast here in S.E.A(actually maybe only 1 country mostly or on mandarin cable/satellite channels) then. I'd say they were/are still Taiwan's biggest gg (ever?, can't think of others rivaling them since) tho not as big maybe as female solos/HK Cantopop artists (can't think of any big HK ggs rn tho). Since going solo, some made inroads into China too. Sadly I think they hvnt hit big outside Mandarin listening fanbase as much as K-pop/jpop (as an Asian I hv a theory tat SoKor had US influence in a cultural way tat others like jpop/mandopop/cantopop/cpop didn't thus only kpop has (so far) broken out in the west (I dont/can't read Asian calligraphic languages so it's amazing I like/love kpop so much).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Selfmate
Joined
13 January 2023
Messages
50,685
Reactions Received
55,507
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
286,073
I was aware of them during the 00s as a lot of Taiwan variety shows were broadcast here in S.E.A(actually maybe only 1 country mostly or on mandarin cable/satellite channels) then. I'd say they were/are still Taiwan's biggest gg (ever?, can't think of others rivaling them since) tho not as big maybe as female solos/HK Cantopop artists (can't think of any big HK ggs rn tho). Since going solo, some made inroads into China too. Sadly I think they hvnt hit big outside Mandarin listening fanbase as much as K-pop/jpop (as an Asian I hv a theory tat SoKor had US influence in a cultural way tat others like jpop/mandopop/cantopop/cpop didn't thus only kpop has (so far) broken out in the west (I dont/can't read Asian calligraphic languages so it's amazing I like/love kpop so much).
they are probably the biggest GG to come out of taiwan and maybe even the biggest in China
 
  • Like
Reactions: LoveYooShaSha
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,144
Reactions Received
53,001
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
174,123
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
they are probably the biggest GG to come out of taiwan and maybe even the biggest in China
As I said above I can't think of any other (non korean) Asian language gg(or Asian origin) with a bigger fandom than them, maybe only AKB48 n associated acts combined. N AKB48 tried to make inroads to S.E.A. but I think all efforts flopped or iv forgotten/heard next to nthg(or actual zilch) since. I think AKB48 associated acts come to my country for jpn festivals but only diehards attend is my impression. Sthg abt jpn/china/taiwan/hk origin artists except for 80s/90s acts where they r super popular in home country n somewhat popular in Asia is different from kpop where either there's no traction or the acts R just focused internally, like IU used to be(or still is). Mostly male solo/bgs come to mind or solo female acts from Asia are popular n do concerts outside their home country. I'm not sure if they toured anywhere mandarin isn't spoken but they seem on par or close to Jolin Tsai/rainie yang level in popularity amongst the cohort of fans from tat era. I think Jay chou or his level only is more popular than them.

Tat said I think kpop is the only widespread genre where the audience mostly don't understand korean(outside korea). Jpop n cantopop/mandopop do hv popularity where jpn/Chinese isn't understood but I hvnt noticed widespread concerts/promos in S.E.A maybe a few acts/artists do appear here n there but kpop is an exception. There's new acts like genblue/gen1es tat try to emulate kpop/survival shows but it hasn't seemed to hv caught on. Even Skarf bk many yrs ago had 2 S.E.A members but disbanded n the 2 non korean members returned I believe.

S.H.E rlly broke the mold. Twins I think gave chase but I dk wat happened mostly(ok I seem to be slightly mistaken above as Twins were popular in Thailand which is NOT known as a Chinese speaking/understanding culture/ppl but I could be mistaken, Jackson Wang I know had some clips of him solo turning up there.)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Selfmate
Joined
13 January 2023
Messages
50,685
Reactions Received
55,507
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
286,073
As I said above I can't think of any other (non korean) Asian language gg(or Asian origin) with a bigger fandom than them, maybe only AKB48 n associated acts combined. N AKB48 tried to make inroads to S.E.A. but I think all efforts flopped or iv forgotten/heard next to nthg(or actual zilch) since. I think AKB48 associated acts come to my country for jpn festivals but only diehards attend is my impression. Sthg abt jpn/china/taiwan/hk origin artists except for 80s/90s acts where they r super popular in home country n somewhat popular in Asia is different from kpop where either there's no traction or the acts R just focused internally, like IU used to be(or still is). Mostly male solo/bgs come to mind or solo female acts from Asia are popular n do concerts outside their home country. I'm not sure if they toured anywhere mandarin isn't spoken but they seem on par or close to Jolin Tsai/rainie yang level in popularity amongst the cohort of fans from tat era. I think Jay chou or his level only is more popular than them.

Tat said I think kpop is the only widespread genre where the audience mostly don't understand korean(outside korea). Jpop n cantopop/mandopop do hv popularity where jpn/Chinese isn't understood but I hvnt noticed widespread concerts/promos in S.E.A maybe a few acts/artists do appear here n there but kpop is an exception. There's new acts like genblue/gen1es tat try to emulate kpop/survival shows but it hasn't seemed to hv caught on. Even Skarf bk many yrs ago had 2 S.E.A members but disbanded n the 2 non korean members returned I believe.

S.H.E rlly broke the mold. Twins I think gave chase but I dk wat happened mostly(ok I seem to be slightly mistaken above as Twins were popular in Thailand which is NOT known as a Chinese speaking/understanding culture/ppl but I could be mistaken, Jackson Wang I know had some clips of him solo turning up there.)
I used to listen to Jolin and Twins all the time lol
 
  • Wow
Reactions: LoveYooShaSha
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,144
Reactions Received
53,001
Location
Rosé's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
174,123
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
I used to listen to Jolin and Twins all the time lol
I think i hv nvr knowingly listened to either Jolin or Twins(or S.H.E as the case may be) or know any songs(titles'l, I mostly know them from tv shows shown here on free TV 20 or so yrs ago. There are English subs(but youtube wasn't yet a thing. Eng subs not from Taiwan program providers but I think locally subbed. Even now taiwan dramas/variety last time i chkd/was therr a few yrs bk(& kdrama) r shown weekly in the neighboring country I'm pretty sure.

My fave Chinese language song is "一場遊戲一場夢" by Dave Wang Jie(which I heard on radio ONE TIME after high school when I was working in a Chinese restaurant n during break between lunch n dinner shift I was at the workers quarters with coworkers n heard it n hvnt forgot it since. Also leng Chan by Wang Fei but tats only cos it's a reworked/Chinese language cover version (sort of) of my fave singer at the time Tori Amos' Crucify(or maybe a different song, hvnt heard in long time n I know the melody but in my head the English title n Faye Wong version fit different parts of my brain so the titles don't come together n I'm not googling it rn.) Tats my entire knowledge of Chinese songs (from memory, if I play 一場遊戲一場夢 on YouTube I might click on other chinese songs but they don't rlly stick in my memory. I do love Chinese movies from 80s/90s n Maggie cheung from then.)

BTW when did u listen to jolin/twins/S.H.E?
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Selfmate
Joined
13 January 2023
Messages
50,685
Reactions Received
55,507
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
286,073
I think i hv nvr knowingly listened to either Jolin or Twins(or S.H.E as the case may be) or know any songs(titles'l, I mostly know them from tv shows shown here on free TV 20 or so yrs ago. There are English subs(but youtube wasn't yet a thing. Eng subs not from Taiwan program providers but I think locally subbed. Even now taiwan dramas/variety last time i chkd/was therr a few yrs bk(& kdrama) r shown weekly in the neighboring country I'm pretty sure.

My fave Chinese language song is "一場遊戲一場夢" by Dave Wang Jie(which I heard on radio ONE TIME after high school when I was working in a Chinese restaurant n during break between lunch n dinner shift I was at the workers quarters with coworkers n heard it n hvnt forgot it since. Also leng Chan by Wang Fei but tats only cos it's a reworked/Chinese language cover version (sort of) of my fave singer at the time Tori Amos' Crucify(or maybe a different song, hvnt heard in long time n I know the melody but in my head the English title n Faye Wong version fit different parts of my brain so the titles don't come together n I'm not googling it rn.) Tats my entire knowledge of Chinese songs (from memory, if I play 一場遊戲一場夢 on YouTube I might click on other chinese songs but they don't rlly stick in my memory. I do love Chinese movies from 80s/90s n Maggie cheung from then.)

BTW when did u listen to jolin/twins/S.H.E?
I'm Chinese (from GuangDong which is right next to HK so I speak cantonese as well)
heavily into cantopop and TVB back then (when it was still good)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread