I feel so stupid and Idk what to do (1 Viewer)

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
A while back my mom decided to buy a whole cow (for meat) and it didn’t bother me at all in the beginning, I am trying to stop eating animal products but it’s been a slow process. It didn’t become difficult until we went to the place that actually was going to slaughter the cow, I cried like a baby after seeing all these animals looking happy and healthy and not knowing their fate, when we were driving away I felt like I let them all down because I knew they were going to be killed in a few months. A few weeks ago I also had a horrible dream about one of the cows I saw their and today we finally got all the meat of this cow, as I was helping my family store it all into our freezer I felt so sick as they were naming off all the different kinds of meats from this one cow, I was shaking d trying not to cry in front of them because I felt so stupid. I still eat meat but it was just something about knowing that I walked away from this animal when it was alive and then now packaging him into my freezer. I don’t know if I can even bring myself to eat any of it and IDK how to tell my mom this. I just feel so stupid because I still eat meat but this particular cow I can’t bring myself to eat anything from him.

I really don’t know what to do, I feel so bad and just want to say sorry to this animal. I feel so stupid for crying over this.
 

Venomous

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,809
Reactions Received
6,359
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
10,457
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
I'm probably not going to be very well liked for this particular statement, but most of my family are farmers, so...
I personally find it insulting to the life of the cow to not eat it. Most cattle from family farms are raised well and dispatched quickly. These aren't pets, and they aren't really "wild" animals. This is their purpose in life. Every cow is the same, whether you've met it or not. Cows aren't like people, they don't think or feel the same way we do so anthropomorphizing them is a bad idea.
 

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I'm probably not going to be very well liked for this particular statement, but most of my family are farmers, so...
I personally find it insulting to the life of the cow to not eat it. Most cattle from family farms are raised well and dispatched quickly. These aren't pets, and they aren't really "wild" animals. This is their purpose in life. Every cow is the same, whether you've met it or not. Cows aren't like people, they don't think or feel the same way we do so anthropomorphizing them is a bad idea.
I understand your opinion on the situation, my grandpa used to raise his own meat so I’ve grown up in that environment, I never actually saw the animals when they were alive but I was aware that he was the one who raised them up and everything.That’s why I found this so random for me because I’ve never had a problem with things like this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think it's pretty normal actually, its one thing when you know you're eating an animal in an abstract sense and another when you're actually confronted with the situation.
 

Venomous

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,809
Reactions Received
6,359
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
10,457
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
I understand your opinion on the situation, my grandpa used to raise his own meat so I’ve grown up in that environment, I never actually saw the animals when they were alive but I was aware that he was the one who raised them up and everything.That’s why I found this so random for me because I’ve never had a problem with things like this.
It's probably because you're projecting your feelings onto the cow. Cows don't feel emotions the way humans do, nor do they feel pain the way we do. You'd think it barbaric to perform surgery on a person who was awake and standing up, but that is done to cows all the time. It's one of those things that is a byproduct of not teaching people where their food comes from. I was raised seeing and knowing what happens to beef cattle, so it doesn't bother me. Meanwhile you were removed from the process because by the time you see that cow, it's already pre-cut and packaged into containers. This is why we need to educate more on food production.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Wingfrost

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
You shouldn’t feel stupid about it at all. 6 years ago I stopped eating meat and eventually gave up eating animal products altogether because I saw videos and a documentary about the treatment of animals in slaughterhouses.

If you don’t feel comfortable eating the meat then you shouldn’t make yourself eat it. If you feel okay eating it after awhile then that’s up to you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Wingfrost

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Wingfrost

Venomous

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,809
Reactions Received
6,359
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
10,457
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
What do you mean by this?
I mean there is no one-to-one comparison between what we experience as people and what cows experience. While they do express complex emotions, we're not sure to what level or their awareness and understanding. The same goes for pain. We know cows do feel pain, but whether or not their pain tolerances are comparable to humans is totally unknown. We do know they're far more stoic and tolerant.


Basically what I mean is, there is no way to directly understand what cows think and feel, because their brains work in similar yet different ways as our own. A lot of what we experience may not be what they do, based on the evolutionary development of our brains versus theirs.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I mean there is no one-to-one comparison between what we experience as people and what cows experience. While they do express complex emotions, we're not sure to what level or their awareness and understanding. The same goes for pain. We know cows do feel pain, but whether or not their pain tolerances are comparable to humans is totally unknown. We do know they're far more stoic and tolerant.


Basically what I mean is, there is no way to directly understand what cows think and feel, because their brains work in similar yet different ways as our own. A lot of what we experience may not be what they do, based on the evolutionary development of our brains versus theirs.
So for all we know they could be experiencing the same emotions as us?
 

Venomous

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,809
Reactions Received
6,359
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
10,457
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
So for all we know they could be experiencing the same emotions as us?
Yes, but not necessarily the same way we do. However we also have to remember that cattle are no longer wild. They were domesticated for the purpose of consumption. Humans are omnivores, meat is a part of our diet.
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
I mean there is no one-to-one comparison between what we experience as people and what cows experience. While they do express complex emotions, we're not sure to what level or their awareness and understanding. The same goes for pain. We know cows do feel pain, but whether or not their pain tolerances are comparable to humans is totally unknown. We do know they're far more stoic and tolerant.


Basically what I mean is, there is no way to directly understand what cows think and feel, because their brains work in similar yet different ways as our own. A lot of what we experience may not be what they do, based on the evolutionary development of our brains versus theirs.
slight tangent, but yeah scientists are still confused ?? ig?? about animals' emotions and such. I read an article like 2 months ago about the classification of personality types of humans to animals, and how they're similar, but not the same
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
don’t feel stupid about this. a lot of people who are thinking of stopping eating meat/animal products. I haven’t eaten anything like that for two years now and I can assure you that’s super normal. it’s a process and you have been thinking about these things which makes you more emotional in these aspects.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wingfrost

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread