I have to say this out loud, and I'm sorry if people will get mad at me for it. (1 Viewer)

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
(Warning: This is a rant. This will get racial.)

I absolutely cannot understand why certain Kpop fans will get upset and legitimately cancel idols having hairstyles from African cultures (or even other cultures). It's not the fact that they have the hairstyle necessarily, but that people are willing to throw out a whole person because of a hairstyle.

"But, Panda, you aren't black, you can't talk about this." Sure. But, I understand the idea behind it. There are Africans out there who get negatively judged for their hairstyles. I get it, I have seen it happen in real life myself. Also, is it just me, or are the people who aren't willing to hear from other cultures besides African-related ones kinda killing the conversation that we need to resolve the issues we have? But that's besides this thread.

And of course, we can bring in the whole cultural appropriation issue into this.
19606

However, these idols aren't mocking the hairstyle, they aren't poking fun at anyone with it. They wear it with respect even if they themselves may not like it (after all, companies control these things too). But, some idols love the hairstyle as well. Why are people getting mad at them then? We are pushing negativity on idols (or honestly anyone wearing this hairstyle with a good intention) that should be directed to the ignorant people who make fun of the hairstyle. Those ignorant people are the issue. Not the people who are simply wearing it. What's so bad about wearing a hairstyle that they find beautiful?

So, where's the issue? Why can't somebody wear a hairstyle from a different culture if they like it? I'm not trying to disrespect anyone really. I'm just confused on where the rationality in this is.

Okay, my rant is over. Anyone can go ahead and comment down there, whether it's disapproving my point or having a conversation or leaving the opinion or telling me I'm stupid or something, it's whatever. It's just the whole thing that happened with Chan from Stray Kids made me think about this again.

Let's hope I won't regret posting this ^^'
 

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
8,269
Reactions Received
26,625
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
i agree, i think hating on an idol just because of a hairstyle is dumb since like you said, they don't control how they're styled and they don't do it out of disrespect or in a mocking manner.
People just need something to be angry about I guess :/
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
They aren't even "black/African hairstyles" some maybe but dreads legit have shown up in history multiple times and the origin of them isn't exactly clear either. This shit is just exhaustive and stupid at this point.

Stop hurting people over what they do with their hair.
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I get the cultural appropriation complaints on some occasions but something as trivial as hairstyles really shouldn't be brought into it. It's like you can't even appreciate or respect another culture without being called "racist".

What's worse is most fans shouting cultural appropriation on social media aren't even doing it to fight racism, only to get attention and "likes". Dragging someone else to feel good about yourself is pretty pathetic.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Is the Stray Kidz thing really getting that bad? :welp:
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
1,124
Reactions Received
7,796
Location
Fuck me Chico
Website
www.allkpop.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
Wreck
it's just that where they could be showing appreciation, they should could be sidestepping into appropriation - . So, "What's so bad about wearing a hairstyle that they find beautiful" you asked. Well, for me seeing someone with a hairstyle who's wearing it freely, who probably doesn't get as much negative intake as when a black person wears it. isn't right, if a black person wore the same hairstyle people call it 'ratchet' or 'ghetto'. When people with power and privilege decide to 'validate' customs and traditions that oppressed people have long been marginalized that 'This is cool, to wear' is where things get serious. Hairstyles are not just hairstyles, they bring baggage with them, gendered and racialized connotations and stereotypes are attached to them.
 
Last edited:

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
it's just that where they could be showing appreciation, they should could be sidestepping into appropriation - . So, "What's so bad about wearing a hairstyle that they find beautiful" you asked. Well, for me seeing someone with a hairstyle who's wearing it freely, who probably doesn't get as much negative intake as when a black person wears it. isn't right, if a black person wore the same hairstyle people call it 'ratchet' or 'ghetto'. When people with power and privilege decide to 'validate' customs and traditions that oppressed people have long been marginalized that 'This is cool, to wear' is where things get serious. Hairstyles are not just hairstyles, they bring baggage with them, gendered and racialized connotations and stereotypes are attached to them.
I agree partially, there's clearly an issue with racism towards Black people, no denying in that at all. However, like I mentioned above, shouldn't we be mad at those who are racist? Shouldn't we be criticizing them, those who created those stereotypes and marginalized people because of it?

If a person thinks "this is cool to wear" they clearly must see a beauty in it even if they aren't aware of the cultural backgrounds, of course having those would be great as well. But this entire issue really goes back to the people who differentiate between a black person and another race person wearing this hairstyle. Imo, the person wearing it doesn't do any harm unless they are flat-out ridiculing it.

Yet, "Hairstyles are not just hairstyles, they bring baggage with them, gendered and racialized connotations and stereotypes are attached to them." This is very true. But, people cannot even wear this hairstyle out of appreciation for the culture. Racial connotations will continue to persist because some people will never grow out of that mindset. But, if we forbid everyone to do anything of anyone's culture, how are we supposed to unite and grow close to each other? How are we supposed to break down those stereotypical and racial conflicts if someone who appreciates something from a different culture cannot even show it this way without getting bashed?

I'm not trying to become protective of my opinion, I'm honestly just writing my thoughts, I'm sorry if I sound bashful in any way ^^'
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
why is this Chan thing getting so much attention? Every idol does it. Is it bc stans think Stray Kids are "woke"? lol. Anyway they just want to be angry it gives them a sense of purpose you know to feel like they're doing something good for minorities...even if they're bullying people.
this is about lots of idols ^^'
Lisa got bashed too recently
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
i agree with your point.

I dont think ive ever done anything that could be confused with appropriation and i live in a pretty one race society, so i might not be the most, knon on this subject, so i might not see the full context...but to me i feel like its a movemnt with good intention that goes to far. SOmethings are clearly wrong, but people have to learn that appriciation isnt appropriation. and I was listening to a youtuber Miss Darci today she comments on korean topics...and she mentioned appropriation, and said something that made a lot fo sense to me, alot of the people who caim "oh you need to understand the cultural history and get permission"

how can you measure those things? like darci said mentioning blackpink's lisa kill this love hairstyle...what if lisa made a whole video detailing the history of box braids? anyone just seeing her walk on the street wouldnt know she has this knowledge, she cant carry a megaphone and blast it everywhere she goes...and how does one get a whole races approval anyway? these are unquantifiable requirments. people need to i think go to n american philosiph...since tis does seem to be a mainly western debate...innocentill proven guilty..right? assume people have the right intentions until they prove otherwise.
I totally agree with the second part. There's no way to measure good or bad intentions, yet, people will assume the worst. And the whole permission thing is interesting as well, and I honestly don't know. People will never know honestly.
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
1,124
Reactions Received
7,796
Location
Fuck me Chico
Website
www.allkpop.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
Wreck
I agree partially, there's clearly an issue with racism towards Black people, no denying in that at all. However, like I mentioned above, shouldn't we be mad at those who are racist? Shouldn't we be criticizing them, those who created those stereotypes and marginalized people because of it?

If a person thinks "this is cool to wear" they clearly must see a beauty in it even if they aren't aware of the cultural backgrounds, of course having those would be great as well. But this entire issue really goes back to the people who differentiate between a black person and another race person wearing this hairstyle. Imo, the person wearing it doesn't do any harm unless they are flat-out ridiculing it.

Yet, "Hairstyles are not just hairstyles, they bring baggage with them, gendered and racialized connotations and stereotypes are attached to them." This is very true. But, people cannot even wear this hairstyle out of appreciation for the culture. Racial connotations will continue to persist because some people will never grow out of that mindset. But, if we forbid everyone to do anything of anyone's culture, how are we supposed to unite and grow close to each other? How are we supposed to break down those stereotypical and racial conflicts if someone who appreciates something from a different culture cannot even show it this way without getting bashed?

I'm not trying to become protective of my opinion, I'm honestly just writing my thoughts, I'm sorry if I sound bashful in any way ^^'
I didn't take this to be bashful in anyway
"How are we supposed to break down those stereotypical and racial conflicts if someone who appreciates something from a different culture cannot even show it this way without getting bashed"
I understand your point and completely agree. I in no way was justifying the hate that Chan received, I don't condone it. I do see where people would get offended by it, I was only explaining it from their point of view. and, its just not us "trying got find something to hate on" . I, as long as you do give credit and not give it new name and try to make it trendy when for thousands of years Africans were doing, and it was deemed unprofessional, have no problem with another race appreciating it.
 
Last edited:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I personally feel like things like dreads are already part of several subcultures so I don't understand the claim that they are only part of black culture, maybe they once were, but later they were adapted into hippie and bohemian subculture



and nowadays even into cyberpunk and gothic subculture




and I feel like they aren't trying to appropriate or mock the black culture, they are doing their own thing.

With idols i think using of dreads and other similar hairstyles is part of using hip hop subculture and it's style, which does make sense for rappers to do. Now hip hop subculture is quite closely related or even part of black culture as in american-african culture and I do understand some criticism like sometimes idols hairstyles and looks can look like cheap and superficial attempt of copying american rappers and hip hop artists, it can feel more like costume than actual style of that person. But, I also feel like that's sth that's not done out of mockery, but often with appreciation of hip hop and rap of US and their style, and tryign to appear more as real rapper or hip hop artist themselves, kinda like you expect heavy metal guys to have long hair and black eyeliner, you expect rappers to have dreads and hip hop clothing- or that's at least first thing that comes to minds of many when you say rapper. So I think that's more of trying to adapt style associated with music genre than trying to appear as black person or mock black culture.
 

Discipline

Together, Just be joyful tonight.
.
Joined
29 October 2018
Messages
1,467
Reactions Received
6,252
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
you voiced my opinion on this issue perfectly, Panda. The core issue of the, 'culture appropriation' argument is that it's ignorance, mockery and belongs to one culture. It is understandable that people of the said culture are protective due to the ridiculing that they receive however to shield it from people that want to appreciate and share the culture with others is less productive and gives the culture even more connotations.

There's been a progress in removing racism, though it's been slow, but the only way to push towards more equality is in normalising these things so that people are used to it and don't even give a second glance to someone having dreads, braids and anything else.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread