I need pet advice (1 Viewer)

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
So there's this puppy that's looking for a home.
And I'm seriously thinking about it.

I'v always had dogs until I moved out.
I kind of miss it, especially since the weeks before i moved out, i walked the family dog daily.
I really need to push myself to take a walk so having a dog would help.

The thing is, I live in a one bedroom apartment with a small terrace.
It'll be a golden retriever cross
I live alone and work 39.5 hours a week.
I don't think the dog is going to be alone because I also have a bunny and i'm afraid something might happen
(unless I move bun to the bedroom when I'm at work with the door closed).
I can also drop the dog off with family who also work, but not so long days as me and also have a dog (so they have company).

I'm really in a pickle.
I am aware the dog will be a medium sized dog and they're quite active breeds in a small house...
​
 

Magician

girl in the bubble ☆
.
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
29,345
Reactions Received
36,273
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
66,410
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
As long as the dog gets enough excercise, I don’t think it’s a problem. My friend also works full time and lives in a small studio apartment, but she makes sure that the dog gets at least 3-4 hours exercise a day. She wakes up around 5am to walk her dog
:haylul:

How old is the dog tho'?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Belgizen

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
As long as the dog gets enough excercise, I don’t think it’s a problem. My friend also works full time and lives in a small studio apartment, but she makes sure that the dog gets at least 3-4 hours exercise a day. She wakes up around 5am to walk her dog
:haylul:

How old is the dog tho'?
That's what I though too
Around 3 months so they can't walk that far currently as a puppy
 
  • Like
Reactions: Magician

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I would be more concerned about finances. You need to make sure your budgeting for another pet. Golden's while amazing are money dumpsters. You need to make sure you are saving up emergency funds for emergencies. You need to look into some good pet insurance as well and make sure you are putting aside money for just basic health care like annuals, vaccines, prevention, and things like that-sorry as someone who works in vet med the amount of unexpected money pet's can run you through is a lot and I don't want it to be a situation where you are unable to afford care in an emergency with a younger dog who may get into things and get bored while you are out and reak havoc...aka foreign body surgery or emergency induction of emesis.

Just be aware of that extra financial cost and savings.
:taesquish: :taesquish: :taesquish:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Belgizen

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
I would be more concerned about finances. You need to make sure your budgeting for another pet. Golden's while amazing are money dumpsters. You need to make sure you are saving up emergency funds for emergencies. You need to look into some good pet insurance as well and make sure you are putting aside money for just basic health care like annuals, vaccines, prevention, and things like that-sorry as someone who works in vet med the amount of unexpected money pet's can run you through is a lot and I don't want it to be a situation where you are unable to afford care in an emergency with a younger dog who may get into things and get bored while you are out and reak havoc...aka foreign body surgery or emergency induction of emesis.

Just be aware of that extra financial cost and savings.
:taesquish: :taesquish: :taesquish:
oooh yeah that's true! I am aware of the costs for having a dog.
I do have money on my savings' account for emergencies and vet check ups aren't that expensive here. My mom and I went together with my bunny and the dog needed his vaccines and check-up and we paid 76 euros combined.
We've never taken pet insurance before. What's included? Is it like for operations etc?
Or is it more like when the dog bites someone? Cuz that's already incuded in my family insurance
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
oooh yeah that's true! I am aware of the costs for having a dog.
I do have money on my savings' account for emergencies and vet check ups aren't that expensive here. My mom and I went together with my bunny and the dog needed his vaccines and check-up and we paid 76 euros combined.
We've never taken pet insurance before. What's included? Is it like for operations etc?
Or is it more like when the dog bites someone? Cuz that's already incuded in my family insurance
So the insurance is more for emergencies. But Pet insurance (at least over here is different then normal insurance-forgot you live elsewhere so it may be different). So you still have to pay upfront for emergencies (hence emergency funds), then afterwards they'll look through the claims and reimburse you anything they cover.

The main thing here is you want to get it when the pet is young because if they end up eating something they shouldn't for example or getting diagnosed with something serious like a heart issue or a kidney issue and THEN you get insurance-the insurance will consider it a pre-existing condition and will NOT cover it. So yeah.

But I would look into it if I were you since you don't live in the same country as me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Belgizen

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
So the insurance is more for emergencies. But Pet insurance (at least over here is different then normal insurance-forgot you live elsewhere so it may be different). So you still have to pay upfront for emergencies (hence emergency funds), then afterwards they'll look through the claims and reimburse you anything they cover.

The main thing here is you want to get it when the pet is young because if they end up eating something they shouldn't for example or getting diagnosed with something serious like a heart issue or a kidney issue and THEN you get insurance-the insurance will consider it a pre-existing condition and will NOT cover it. So yeah.

But I would look into it if I were you since you don't live in the same country as me.
Oooh yeah that's how insurance works.

Thing is that you can also do that for horses but usually the most common operations e.g. colics aren't even covered.
I know of one here that's quite well known but minority of people take out those types of insurances. They usually are able to add like a package with their family insurance
 
Joined
1 January 2023
Messages
24,865
Reactions Received
11,022
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
98,654
Fandom
Shawol, Bonoh
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
the apartment size shouldnt be a problem, if u can manage to walk him at least 2~3 times per day for 30mins ~1h each.
the main problem is, that dogs (adult dogs too) should not stay alone for a long time.

its also the reason I dont have pets. I work 40h a week.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Belgizen

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
the apartment size shouldnt be a problem, if u can manage to walk him at least 2~3 times per day for 30mins ~1h each.
the main problem is, that dogs (adult dogs too) should not stay alone for a long time.

its also the reason I dont have pets. I work 40h a week.
ooh yes I would go before and after work. Since it's still a puppy, i can't go that far rn
My mom usually comes home to eat wih her dog so he's alone 4h at most (my dad's shifts vary so he's usually home in the afternoon or the morning)
That's why i'm doubting it. I was gonna wait until my bun is gone (which I hope doesn't happen) and when my mom retires, but the dog is a foster dog of someone we know so it's a great opportunity.
 
Joined
1 January 2023
Messages
24,865
Reactions Received
11,022
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
98,654
Fandom
Shawol, Bonoh
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
ooh yes I would go before and after work. Since it's still a puppy, i can't go that far rn
My mom usually comes home to eat wih her dog so he's alone 4h at most (my dad's shifts vary so he's usually home in the afternoon or the morning)
That's why i'm doubting it. I was gonna wait until my bun is gone (which I hope doesn't happen) and when my mom retires, but the dog is a foster dog of someone we know so it's a great opportunity.
yeah, for you. is it for the dog too?
pls dont take offense in my words.
I thought a lot about this when I moved out from home and started living alone.
getting a pet (be it a foster pet or not) should always benefit the pet in the end.
leaving a pet alone for hours on a regular basis is not good for a pet.
if you have a full time job and cant work from home, but still want pets/animals in your life,
you caould do volunteer work in animal centers or sth similar.

but its your decision to make. I dont want to talk you out of it. I dont know your situation, so I cant fully judge.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Belgizen

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
yeah, for you. is it for the dog too?
pls dont take offense in my words.
I thought a lot about this when I moved out from home and started living alone.
getting a pet (be it a foster pet or not) should always benefit the pet in the end.
leaving a pet alone for hours on a regular basis is not good for a pet.
if you have a full time job and cant work from home, but still want pets/animals in your life,
you caould do volunteer work in animal centers or sth similar.

but its your decision to make. I dont want to talk you out of it. I dont know your situation, so I cant fully judge.
I get that, that's why i wanted advice.
I've had dogs my whole life but there's at least someone at home or dog is alone for 4 hours max (our family dog is lazy anyways)
I wish I could, but the only shelter nearby (or official one at least) is in a park famous for raping people in daylight so I avoid that place
I can work from home but my place of work only allows once a month. I am kind of waiting for another position to open where I get to work 3 days from home and work 38h
The lady is going to bring to dog Saturday with her when she deals with our horses, so my mom will meet the dog then.
We're gonna have a lengthy discussion about it if she likes the dog too
 
  • Like
Reactions: ani07
Joined
1 January 2023
Messages
24,865
Reactions Received
11,022
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
98,654
Fandom
Shawol, Bonoh
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
I get that, that's why i wanted advice.
I've had dogs my whole life but there's at least someone at home or dog is alone for 4 hours max (our family dog is lazy anyways)
I wish I could, but the only shelter nearby (or official one at least) is in a park famous for raping people in daylight so I avoid that place
I can work from home but my place of work only allows once a month. I am kind of waiting for another position to open where I get to work 3 days from home and work 38h
The lady is going to bring to dog Saturday with her when she deals with our horses, so my mom will meet the dog then.
We're gonna have a lengthy discussion about it if she likes the dog too
I always get so invested when it comes to animals (I`m vegan too, so its a sensitive topic to me, hope u understand).
I wish I could work from home too. I would get a pet immediately. :pepecry1:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Belgizen

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
I always get so invested when it comes to animals (I`m vegan too, so its a sensitive topic to me, hope u understand).
I wish I could work from home too. I would get a pet immediately. :pepecry1:
I get it, we're massive animal lovers at home and majority of our animals have been saved in some way (my horse for example was abused).
It's not a decision I would take lightly and my parents won't allow me to take lightly
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread