if kpop groups want to expand to the west then they should be educated about our culture and issues (1 Viewer)

Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
there's literally nothing else to say here. they do the same thing in japan. they give them Japanese classes to learn the language and they give classes to understand the culture.

why don't they do the same thing for the west? why are so many of them saying and doing ignorant things when they come over to the west? and honestly what I mean by that is they say disrespectful shit to poc (specifically black people) and then think that fans will be okay with it. "but they're from Korea, they don't know any better" that's not a good excuse. they're coming over to the west, profiting off of us, they should at least try to learn. I understand that we have some complicated issues over here but a simple google search would at least get them through the time they're promoting.

if they can do the same thing when they promote in Japan, it shouldn't be hard to do the same thing when they're promoting in the west.
Nene Leakes Leave GIF - NeneLeakes Leave Rhoa - Discover & Share GIFs
 
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't think it's comparable. Japanese culture and any western culture cannot be compared. Truth be told, and as a Westerner, we don't really hold up to the culture as much as East Asia does. Freedom of speech is way different, levels of respect are almost non-existent. Yes, it wouldn't hurt to educate them on certain issues that people are oversensitive about nowadays, but the same can be said about the western artists as well.



Personally, I have nothing against this MV, I think it's cute and in no way offensive, yet there was an uproar.
 

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
I agree with what you're saying but I think it can go the opposite way too. There are many international fans who have said some very ignorant/racist comments about Korea despite supporting the idols. I've heard 'all Koreans are homophobic and racist' sort of thing all the time and it must hurt so much for Koreans who have to hear that TT Yes, Korea is a very conservative society but so are many other countries and it doesn't give a right for anyone to stereotype.

Also other celebrities promoting Korea or other countries don't read up on each country that they visit either... All celebrities should be doing it but I don't think we should point out just kpop idols and their companies.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I don't think it's comparable. Japanese culture and any western culture cannot be compared. Truth be told, and as a Westerner, we don't really hold up to the culture as much as East Asia does. Freedom of speech is way different, levels of respect are almost non-existent. Yes, it wouldn't hurt to educate them on certain issues that people are oversensitive about nowadays, but the same can be said about the western artists as well.



Personally, I have nothing against this MV, I think it's cute and in no way offensive, yet there was an uproar.
of course, there's a difference in every culture, but that doesn't stop them from being educated. I'm not saying that we make them learn every single social issue that's existed but it would be nice if they at least learn the basics. they're educated on what's offensive in japan so I simply don't understand why they can't be educated on what might be offensive in the west. from my personal experience, at least in America, were way laxer when it comes to what's considered disrespectful. you don't need a whole class to know what westerners might not like.

and I agree with you, western celebrities should also be educated if they were to promote in countries overseas.
 
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
they're educated on what's offensive in japan so I simply don't understand why they can't be educated on what might be offensive in the west. from my personal experience, at least in America, were way laxer when it comes to what's considered disrespectful.
You said it yourself. In Japan, culture and tradition are a huge thing. It's never good to offend anyone, but it's especially not good to offend a Japanese person. Their pride is overwhelming. On the other hand, as you said, the west is way laxer to disrespectful situations and handle them differently. You will never see a Tzuyu style apology video from a western artist. Heck, they would usually just "go over" a scandal like it never happened. If Koreans do offend, it's out of ignorance, rarely intended. In the end, it's common sense to know what's appropriate in which culture, especially if you're traveling somewhere. It's just a matter of taking the breach personally. East Asia cultures will take culture breach much more personally than us in the west.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I agree with what you're saying but I think it can go the opposite way too. There are many international fans who have said some very ignorant/racist comments about Korea despite supporting the idols. I've heard 'all Koreans are homophobic and racist' sort of thing all the time and it must hurt so much for Koreans who have to hear that TT Yes, Korea is a very conservative society but so are many other countries and it doesn't give a right for anyone to stereotype.

Also other celebrities promoting Korea or other countries don't read up on each country that they visit either... All celebrities should be doing it but I don't think we should point out just kpop idols and their companies.
I agree, Westerners also should be educated. I think I'm bringing up kpop because were on a kpop forum and also because there's been a big uproar about this topic specifically. Especially because kpop idols are expanding more to the west. I think being educated would help them more in the end if they want to expand.

If they come to the west to perform a few times then I don't think that they should take a class, although it would be nice if they did some research on international fans. but some kpop groups have campaigns and promote heavily in places like the united states and say ignorant things. do they know better? depends on the situation. but its the companies fault for not giving them proper education about the place they're promoting in.
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Agreed but... the "west" is not like a country like Japan. There are many differences between the USA and Western European countries tho. I am all for people being educated in a country they visit (aka sustainable tourism) but it needs to go both ways. Beyoncé doesn't know anything about Belgian culture yet she performed here many times.
Tbh I also think that people need to realize that not every country has the same rules, culture, mannerisms, ... as theirs. How many American kpop fans I've seen who were shook that certain scandals like drugs are taken seriously by kpop fans who are from countries were no drugs are allowed astonishing. Some of them didn't even know that drugs are actually banned in countries (yes I know it's weird that these exist).
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Agreed but... the "west" is not like a country like Japan. There are many differences between the USA and Western European countries tho. I am all for people being educated in a country they visit (aka sustainable tourism) but it needs to go both ways. Beyoncé doesn't know anything about Belgian culture yet she performed here many times.
Tbh I also think that people need to realize that not every country has the same rules, culture, mannerisms, ... as theirs. How many American kpop fans I've seen who were shook that certain scandals like drugs are taken seriously by kpop fans who are from countries were no drugs are allowed astonishing. Some of them didn't even know that drugs are actually banned in countries (yes I know it's weird that these exist).
I think that I was mainly referring to America because that's really the only place I see kpop groups actually promoting in. I said that west because I didn't want people to think I was some self-centered American who thinks the world revolves around America. I said this in an earlier post but if a group is just coming to a country to perform a few concerts then I don't think that they need to be educated heavily on the cultural differences and what may be considered offensive. but if they're trying to promote and make a name for themselves then I think some type of training or education class needs to be given to them.

someone like exo who only performed in America four times and then went back to Korea doesn't need to be heavily educated.

a group like bts who really only promotes in America and has stadium tours every year, needs to be educated.

the same would apply with a western artist. if Beyonce was trying to become big in Belgium then I would expect her team to educate her on the cultural differences.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
If you don’t like how they act just don’t be a fan then???
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I don't think it's comparable. Japanese culture and any western culture cannot be compared. Truth be told, and as a Westerner, we don't really hold up to the culture as much as East Asia does. Freedom of speech is way different, levels of respect are almost non-existent. Yes, it wouldn't hurt to educate them on certain issues that people are oversensitive about nowadays, but the same can be said about the western artists as well.



Personally, I have nothing against this MV, I think it's cute and in no way offensive, yet there was an uproar.
Totally spot on. The economic and cultural ties between SK and Japan (China as well) can't be compared to the western market.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
If you don’t like how they act just don’t be a fan then???
so only Koreans and white people can be their fans??? kpop artists get to take from certain cultures and say ignorant shit and their fans who are poc cant educate them or want them to be educated??
they get to profit off of westerners and we cant ask them to idk learn the absolute basics of the cultural differences that we have here?
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
so only Koreans and white people can be their fans??? kpop artists get to take from certain cultures and say ignorant shit and their fans who are poc cant educate them or want them to be educated??
they get to profit off of westerners and we cant ask them to idk learn the absolute basics of the cultural differences that we have here?
What?
first of all, I don’t even get what your trying to ask of idols here. Mandatory classes about western culture enforced by the government? A lesson of being pc becoming the standard along with dance/vocal/etc? Like?
You say westerners like they’re this monolith and not literally billions of individuals who each make they’re own choice of “do I think this person/group is acceptable enough to give them money”
If you think that idol A is racist, why would you still stan them??? Why would you continue supporting someone who’s a big bad racist??? Voting with your wallet is a very simple concept to grasp. If idol A or their company wants to offend potential fans, then that’s their problem. They can choose to lose out on profits if they want. Where does it affect literally anyone else?
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
What?
first of all, I don’t even get what your trying to ask of idols here. Mandatory classes about western culture enforced by the government? A lesson of being pc becoming the standard along with dance/vocal/etc? Like?
You say westerners like they’re this monolith and not literally billions of individuals who each male they’re own choice of “do I think this person/group is acceptable enough to give them money”
If you think that idol A is racist, why would you still stan them??? Why would you continue supporting someone who’s a big bad racist??? Voting with your wallet is a very simple concept to grasp. If idol A or their company wants to offend potential fans, then that’s their problem. They can choose to lose out on profits and fans. Where does it affect literally anyone else?
huh? that's not what I said at all. I'm literally saying that their teams and companies should educate them about the places they're promoting in. I'm saying the west and really what I mean is America because that's the only place where kpop groups are actively trying to promote in besides Japan and Korea.
But the same sentiment still stands if they want to promote anywhere else. I'm just talking about America because as i said, thats really the only place idols are doing heavy promo in.
what I'm asking is for companies to literally do the bare minimum. sure a class on the cultural differences and what's wrong and what's right to do or say in America would be nice (considering they literally do the most to educate idols about japan when theyre trainees) but all I'm asking now is to just show them that what they say or do in Korea might not be okay in America, I don't understand what's so crazy about that??
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
huh? that's not what I said at all. I'm literally saying that their teams and companies should educate them about the places they're promoting in. I'm saying the west and really what I mean is America because that's the only place where kpop groups are actively trying to promote in besides Japan and Korea.
But the same sentiment still stands if they want to promote anywhere else. I'm just talking about America because as i said, thats really the only place idols are doing heavy promo in.
what I'm asking is for companies to literally do the bare minimum. sure a class on the cultural differences and what's wrong and what's right to do or say in America would be nice (considering they literally do the most to educate idols about japan when theyre trainees) but all I'm asking now is to just show them that what they say or do in Korea might not be okay in America, I don't understand what's so crazy about that??
Youre coming across as very ~holier than thou~
”they should follow MY ideas because IM right and THEYRE not”
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
People treat like it's some far left SJW concept but it's just being educated on certain faux pas.
If you're going to pander to a certain audience, educate yourself on what to do to avoid alienated them
It's just common sense
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Youre coming across as very ~holier than thou~
”they should follow MY ideas because IM right and THEYRE not”
how is what I'm saying coming across like that??
asking them to learn about the place they're promoting in is... bad? if a western artist came to korea to promote and completely disregarded the cultural differences and acted as if they were living in America everyone would drag the shit out of them but asking a kpop idol to literally do bare minimum research is inherently bad??
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
A quick glance at the list of concerts held shows that K-Pop is equally promoted in US and Europe.
I don't mean just concerts but promo as well. I'm aware that they hold concerts but kpop groups are mainly doing actual promo in America.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
how is what I'm saying coming across like that??
asking them to learn about the place they're promoting in is... bad? if a western artist came to korea to promote and completely disregarded the cultural differences and acted as if they were living in America everyone would drag the shit out of them but asking a kpop idol to literally do bare minimum research is inherently bad??
I’m not disagreeing with you in the fact that yeah sure ooo cultural sensitivity yeah blah blah blah, and I’m not saying it’s bad???
just??? What I think you’re saying you want makes no sense to me
Have a hypothetical idol. Say this idol, idk, hates black ppl. They debut and are looking to expand their audience
Now there are two situations here:
1. They don’t do their research. They expose themselves as racist and lose money, fans, etc. everyone now knows them as a racist idol and knows not to support them
2. They do their research and expand into the American market. No one knows they’re racist and now their black fans are unknowingly throwing money at someone who secretly hates them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread