I'm probably one of the few who thinks .. (1 Viewer)

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
..that music from Rookie/Nugu Groups, practically groups who aren't popular, have way better music these days than popular groups?
That's one of the reasons why I like them more.

For me personally it just feels like they don't even try anymore.
They have their fanbase and they know what music they like so they just do what fits into that instead of going all out, which imo not popular groups do much better these days, at least the ones I listen to.
I'd call it generic, which isn't an insult because good generic music is still bopping. Especially when it's a good generic song.

Not saying popular groups music is bad, but it could be much more? Take Blackpink for example, they are being held back by Teddy's production imo, their music could have much more potential than it does right now. I still liked KLT and the b-sides of the album but they can do much more than that.

Bigger group's music might still be better on a production level because they have more producers who can finish the products but recently it's tending to be too overproduced, too perfect which makes it less fun to listen to the songs.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I kinda agree with you. I defently prefer older groups and alot of rookie gg‘s and haven’t listen too much to the current top groups ( bg‘s mostly).
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,256
Reactions Received
76,671
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,870
Ship
Wreck
I think non Big 3 groups have caught up with the Big 3 a lot in general, for talent there's plenty of groups to rival the Big 3 ones now and even for money and production there are a few to rival them now while the Big 3 have been focusing more on expanding into other markets and seemingly coasting with their Korean promotions.
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
I stan both nugu's as well as popular groups (50-50)
I think why is because
1) there are a lot more nugu's than "popular" groups so to find something your taste is easier to find amongst those 100 nugu's than those 10 popular groups
2) They are "niche" groups: they know what their fans like and they can keep the concept all those fans like. E.g. NCT127 has fans that love Touch while others like Cherry Bomb so they can't please both
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
I agree and disagree at the same time because there are some gems among the nugus groups but at the same time I think that they are also generic and duplicate the same formula than the Big3 out of hope to make it. And sometimes some nugus groups have tragic songs because of the terrible production.
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
This is a mixed bag for me. There are simply more non-Big3 than Big3/popular groups, so statistically it is easier to find a lot of nugu groups with good music.

Some are killing it but there are also artists I find boring or uncreative (for both nugu and popular).

In recent years, non-Big3 groups are improving and meet/surpass what Big3 provides, as more small companies invest in their groups and amp up production value.

For me to enjoy a 'nugu' artist they have to have decent song production and some uniqueness in their music, but that goes for every artist.

Sorry, this is just word vomit at this point.
 
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
3,333
Reactions Received
8,736
Location
☼ Shine brighter than the Sun ☼
Website
www.HOW-TO-BE-AS-PERFECT-THAN-ME.Com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18
Fandom
MY/Sone/reveluv
Gender
Male
Pronouns
whatever i don't care
.that music from Rookie/Nugu Groups, practically groups who aren't popular, have way better music these days than popular groups
agree

i enjoy OMG and weki meki comeback much more than fancy and KTL
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
That's cause nugu groups have room to experiment and see what could make them stand out in the market and gain them their own fanbase. Once they do get that fanbase, they'll choose to stick to the style that got them the majority of the fanbase. Why they do this? Well, for one, it's because the market is over saturated and in the end, this is a business and the companies need to make money off the short life spanned idol groups.

BLACKPINK and TWICE sticking to the sound their fanbase buys is a smart move imo because the fanbase gets the the music they stanned for and the company is guaranteed is to make money for the comeback.

GFriend, RV and MAMAMOO are the perfect example of why experimentation as a popular group is risky. When they each go beyond their respective popular sounds, they chart horribly and are branded as irrelevant.
 

melancholia

i love yall <3
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
3,178
Reactions Received
14,722
Location
twice and loona's heart
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
..that music from Rookie/Nugu Groups, practically groups who aren't popular, have way better music these days than popular groups?
That's one of the reasons why I like them more.

For me personally it just feels like they don't even try anymore.
They have their fanbase and they know what music they like so they just do what fits into that instead of going all out, which imo not popular groups do much better these days, at least the ones I listen to.
I'd call it generic, which isn't an insult because good generic music is still bopping. Especially when it's a good generic song.

Not saying popular groups music is bad, but it could be much more? Take Blackpink for example, they are being held back by Teddy's production imo, their music could have much more potential than it does right now. I still liked KLT and the b-sides of the album but they can do much more than that.

Bigger group's music might still be better on a production level because they have more producers who can finish the products but recently it's tending to be too overproduced, too perfect which makes it less fun to listen to the songs.
tea
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47 and Myco

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
While I think lot of nugus and rookies come out with good stuff, I tend to stan more of popular groups and to me they have superior music overall. I personally see the resources and experience being translated into quality with them.

When for less known groups that I have also being fan of (now the ones I have been fan of have already disbanded or in indefinite hiatus) I have noticed that they had less direction in their music, they might have big changes between comebacks in order to find sth that would be popular and they might lack overall sound of their own. So for me with more established groups I feel like I know what kind of stuff I will get at least sound-wise and if I like groups music or not if that makes sense.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread