In KPOP: Are You More Naturally A Critic? Or A Promoter? (1 Viewer)

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
In KPOP: Are You More Naturally A Critic? Or A Promoter?





Both are viable sides of the same coin. Praise and criticism.

Both are necessary features of our world.

If nothing is criticized, what is the motivation for improvement?

If nothing is praised, why even strive to begin with?

In terms of how you interact in kpop on these forums, which camp do you find yourself more naturally within?

Or do you find yourself a hybrid of both?





Me?

I'm most naturally a promoter. I'm a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to kpop. I find more satisfaction and happiness in building up rather than in criticism or tearing down.

I'm not blind to faults, for sure. I am perceptive of them.

But I actively choose to focus on the good as much as I can.

I am able to offer criticism, but I am much more adept at defense and promotion. Those are my strong suits and where I feel most comfortable.... and find most rewarding.

I see my role as one that's actively needed to balance criticism. Everyone needs someone in their corner. I see myself as functioning in that way.

I'm basically a cheerleader. Or a hype man.... if you want to go with hip hop analogies.

You can't take the fan out of the fanboy.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Critic I guess, I'm not that big on promoting things, I mean sometimes if I'm really into sth I might, but I rarely give only praise- and besides I'm really picky with kpop. I could count with my hands the songs I liked last year and I critic new song when I listen it straight away ^^;
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
Critic I guess, I'm not that big on promoting things, I mean sometimes if I'm really into sth I might, but I rarely give only praise- and besides I'm really picky with kpop. I could count with my hands the songs I liked last year and I critic new song when I listen it straight away ^^;
Confidant and comfortable in what you love. If others like it then that's cool too. But don't feel the need to go overboard in your evangelism?
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Confidant and comfortable in what you love. If others like it then that's cool too. But don't feel the need to go overboard in your evangelism?
Well I can be pushy at times if I find someone who might be interested, but my tastes are often bit in the left field so often no and i'm quite comfortable just liking my own stuff too, the forgotten b-sides and such ^^;
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
I'm naturally a critic in general. Upon first listen, I will usually pick out something bad about a song rather than good. I'm picky with the music I like.

I promote underrated stuff mostly because they need the promotion tbh.

Or what I really like, ex. "Young" by Baekhyun and Loco :pandalove:
 
Last edited:

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
A weird hybrid
When it comes to music, I'm definitely a promotor. I really listen to almost anything.
When it comes to personality, behavior and shortcomings, I do become a lot more critical. But I do defend on occasion
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
I’ll promote a song of just Jimin breathing to hell and back
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Critic most of the time.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,675
Reactions Received
13,340
Location
Idol Hell
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I'm both. I think that critiquing can actually be really enjoyable, especially if you're discussing it with someone who has a different opinion. However, if I just completely dislike/hate a song or a group, I normally don't talk about them, because I'd rather not ruin it for other people. And usually when giving my opinions on a song I have both positive and negative opinions, so I'm not completely a critic I guess?
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
4,371
Reactions Received
11,118
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
330
Fandom
ReVeluv
Gender
Female
Both, but more a critic than a promoter.

Either way, online, I mostly keep my critiques to myself. I may mention something that I dislike about a song or thought was strange, but if it's...harsh? I tend to keep it to myself. I know what I don't like, and I also know I don't mince words xD, so it's best I keep it to myself.

As for promoting -- if I like something, I usually promote it IRL with the few people I know like K-Pop in my circle, lol. I'm not an effusive person in general, so I rarely do promotion online. That's why I ain't got more badges, rip.
 

GoldenBunny

RM's Bonsai Nanny
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
635
Reactions Received
2,191
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Both too! I love to critique things even from fave acts because it's interesting. And I also try to draw people I love into the same interests if they don't reject it :llama_laugh: I've sucked two innocent bystanders into ARMY life the last couple of months just by sending videos and gifs and letting the BTS death spiral do its work. I regret nothing, stanning with friends is the best. (Except now they know more about Bangtan than I do 0.o) Another friend who was super casual into Kpop has discovered a righteous love of Dreamcatcher. So satisfying! :pandahappy:
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
4,371
Reactions Received
11,118
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
330
Fandom
ReVeluv
Gender
Female
Both too! I love to critique things even from fave acts because it's interesting. And I also try to draw people I love into the same interests if they don't reject it :llama_laugh: I've sucked two innocent bystanders into ARMY life the last couple of months just by sending videos and gifs and letting the BTS death spiral do its work. I regret nothing, stanning with friends is the best. (Except now they know more about Bangtan than I do 0.o) Another friend who was super casual into Kpop has discovered a righteous love of Dreamcatcher. So satisfying! :pandahappy:
uwu you're so precious, omg Dx :llama_squish::llama_squish::llama_squish:
 
  • Love
Reactions: GoldenBunny
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
both.
I like to be happy when I'm listening to kpop, I like to laugh at jokes from my fandom and I like to promote my faves, that's what I go on stan twitter for. believe it or not, it does have its good sides.
but I do like to critique sometimes and that's what I go on threads like these for.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GoldenBunny

perhapz

ab imo pectore
.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
6,070
Reactions Received
31,387
Location
🏰 & 🍀
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I think I always try to praise/promote the good side of the things, even if I kinda dislike it.
But I also know how to express my critic points when necessary.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
425
Reactions Received
2,705
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I was a once a straight critic. Sometimes I also said shit to a group for fun
But ever since i stanned GFriend and completely drawn into kpop world, i became a promoter in public. I learned how how precious a group was when you stan them completely and how difficult it was to defend a group (especially one who has ton of weak points). I realized how simple critics or hate can actually change image of a group so much and even discourage its fans. From this I tried not to critic any group completely and tended to praise them more. I also became open to a lot groups and genres to improve my knowledge on kpop.

I still make critics but only share it to my close acquaintances or when someone asked me for it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sory

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
.
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
23,134
Reactions Received
38,822
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,488
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I probably lean more towards the promoter side can't you tell from my sig? LOOK FORWARD TO JBJ95'S COMEBACK EVERYONE!!. If I don't like a song then I won't really talk about it. I usually only ever give critique when someone asks my opinion on a song/group, but I do like to have conversations with someone who has the complete opposite opinion as me when it comes to a song, it's really fun and helps you to see from their point of view.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread