In your opinion, which group has the best music? (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Big Bang, 2NE1, f(x) and Blackpink, there isn't lot about their discographies i would consider bad or mediocre, there is some of course (like trash that Fantastic Baby is, but not a lot).

I stan them all though so..
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
74
Reactions Received
383
Location
England
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
for ggs: rv, 2ne1, fx, snsd
bgs: shinee, vixx. nct and seventeen are alright. (i dont listen to any of the new bts and exo stuff but they had great songs pre 2017)
 
  • Like
Reactions: margoto and Ahsoka
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,041
Reactions Received
4,458
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Loona has reached well beyond the confines of typical kpop sounds since their first solo release, incorporating influences from many genres outside of kpop and outside of Korean music altogether, and has possibly the most musically varied discography among all idol groups without having sacrificed an ounce of production quality. Jaden Jeong, creative director at BBC, and production team MonoTree, among others, have done a great job pushing the boundaries of what kpop girl groups are expected to sound like.

Mamamoo has a long history of doing kpop on their own terms, presenting the tried and true girl crush concept in an altogether different skin, and after years of pop lightly touched by elements of jazz, r&b and dance music, they are now moving towards a much more mature sound reminiscent of soloists from other Korean musical genres, a growth well suited for the strength and versatility of their vocals and growing talents as songwriters. Of course, a great deal of the credit still goes to RBW's in-house production team as well as frequent songwriting collaborators like Cosmic Girl (aka Jooyi, formerly of RaNia).

AOA and 9Muses both have consistently great music across the majority of their respective discographies. For girl groups receiving the bulk of their attention for sexy concepts, it would have been easy for them to stuff their releases with meaningless filler, but each of their songs comes across as having been given the care and attention to detail that other groups might reserve strictly for their title tracks, and this consistency in quality is thanks in large part to longstanding partnerships with producers like Brave Bros (AOA) and Sweetune (9Muses).

EXID also boasts a very solid discography, borrowing liberally from a particular era of American hip hop and r&b that is near and dear to the production duo of Shinsadong Tiger and LE, and giving it a home in kpop without becoming purely retro or corrupting the source material beyond recognition. Their work, while sometimes predictable, is almost always tasteful, and it doesn't hurt to have some of the strongest vocals and rap in the game bringing life to an urban street style far more common to boy broups.
 

GoldenBunny

RM's Bonsai Nanny
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
635
Reactions Received
2,191
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I'm super biased and really music picky, but in my mind BTS deserves every musical quality accolade and award they get. Their stuff is so layered and complex, and they play so often with sound and structure that no two BTS songs are particularly similar. Their title songs are great, but it's the discography as a whole and their amazing selection of b-sides from every era that make them next level and has allowed them to keep sucking global locals into the stan pit at an accelerated rate despite starting from the ground up and singing in Korean. They were crafting bops and socially conscious slaps from the beginning, and they just keep expanding their sound with each album. They're an album-sales group first and foremost, and they've got the music to pull it off.

NCT continues to delight and surprise me; I love their future sound and how experimental and sexy they are. Consistently great quality.

Mamamoo and Dreamcatcher both continue to make great music that's usually a bit different than their peers. Ateez has just started so who knows, but all of their songs are extremely listenable. They'll probably just keep going up.
Txt. That 10 total seconds we've heard of their lead single slaps. :pandaroll:(kidding kidding I swear!)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
BAP for me, thats one of the main reasons theyre my ults.
Oneus are very new but their one release was incredibly solid.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
56
Reactions Received
268
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Girl Groups:

Red Velvet:
I know I'm biased but their discography is the reason they're my ult bias sooo...
They have such a diverse discography but they never have a song that feels off-brand. Hate it or love it, songs like RBB and Rookie are quintessential Red Velvet, as are OOTN and Automatic.
Every album feels like a fully executed concept musically. I can feel the effort put into the B-sides to contribute to the overall album.
Small disclaimer, I don't think groups need to be as drastically diverse as Red Velvet is in order to have a good discography. But I think there are subtle ways to be more diverse. Different instrumentations, tempos, using lower range more than the upper range, etc.

LOONA:
With their solo, subunit, and group releases, they've really covered a lot of ground. They have songs with orchestral arrangements (Let Me In, Kiss Later), pop perfection (Eclipse, LCM), and one of the best b-sides of 2018 - Stylish. I will be honest in that I think they have a couple of weaker songs in their earlier releases (You and Me Together, I'll be There) but they more than make up for that imo.

f(x):
Definitely some of the best albums in kpop, that's all I really need to say.

Honorable Mentions:
Mamamoo
GFriend


Boy Groups:

EXO:
Their albums are always top-tier, every B-side is just amazing and you can find literally so many B-sides that could be title tracks lol. They really give amazing vocals and I love the music production.

NCT:
I love how experimental they are. People hate on Simon Says a lot but I prefer they go that direction instead of "Regular". Simon Says sounded ahead of its time.

Honorable mentions:
BTS: I'm personally not into their older releases like Converse High and Boy in Luv. I find it really hard to appreciate those songs, but overall I can see that they really have a strong discography and fully thought-out albums.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bara and Hallyuse
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
67
Reactions Received
233
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
For me I've liked every single song from only four groups. B.A.P, SF9, ASTRO and Shinee. Honorable mention to my old bias group History because I loved everything they released. Man I miss them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread