Is it rude to comment on someone’s weight loss? (1 Viewer)

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
I was just watching a video and I read a comment where someone said they noticed that the person in the video lost weight and that they looked good. They didn’t body shame her or call her fat, and whatnot. But there were replies to this comment saying that it was rude to comment on someone’s weight whether they lost or gained.
In my experience, I don’t recall getting offended when someone would tell me that I’ve “gotten so skinny” or whatever. But, I don’t like it when someone (mainly my grandmother) say I’m getting too thin. My grandma would actually complain about it and she even assumed that I wasn’t eating. To this day I’m still told that “need” to gain weight, but I just try to brush it off now.

But anywho, what’s your opinion on complementing someone’s weight loss? Do you think it’s offensive or do you think it’s okay to compliment on?
 

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
i think if you phrase it all right and its relevant to the topic then its all right. idk if that makes sense :yolk:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey and lexus

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: Mangoey and lexus

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I think it's fine but also I know people love censorship and as a result, it's normalized to get upset over everything nowadays even if it's not a big deal. The only time I could see it being offensive is if someone is trying to gain weight not lose OR if they are recovering from an ED and saying that could trigger them or spur them on instead of helping them get healthier.
 

Day

♡ ຕɪѕѕɪηɢ уᴏᴜ ♡
.
.
.
Joined
20 October 2018
Messages
126,058
Reactions Received
53,013
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
524,535
Ship
Wreck
It's a double-edged sword. For me, I've always been thin but there was a point when I was in high school that I weighed myself and decided it was "too much". So I went on a 500 calorie diet for a week and a half and my mom made a comment of "you look so skinny" and made me think "ah, it must be working." It made me want to continue the behavior. I think you should only comment on it if you know how the person thinks. For example, someone who's vocal about wanting to lose weight to become healthier or gain more muscle - definitely okay to congratulate them. But for my mom to comment on my weight, it encouraged me to keep counting calories and watching what I eat in a day.

As long as you phrase it in a way that doesn't seem like a praise, it should be fine? Asking questions like "are you losing weight?" might be better than to directly comment on it.
 

Panda

.
.
.
.
Joined
24 September 2018
Messages
8,755
Reactions Received
24,302
Location
Somewhere Near Bamboo
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
12
Fandom
Starlight
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
Personally, I wouldn't really mention it unless I knew that a person was actively trying to lose weight and was open about that. Otherwise, I just wouldn't say something
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,799
Reactions Received
6,351
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
10,202
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
The issue is, you never know if someone is sensitive about their weight, has a health condition, eating disorder, etc. It's not really anyone's place to comment on someone else's weight and it often does more harm than good. Just don't. It's not about censorship, it's about breaking people of the habit of commenting on a stranger's body. Self-image is a big part of confidence, if you don't know someone personally, it's not your place to say anything.
 

ChiaraStar169

bite the apple, baby!
.
.
Joined
12 September 2020
Messages
40,124
Reactions Received
46,794
Location
irritating the metalheads
Website
www.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
183,412
Fandom
mainly bg
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I echo the others, Lex (btw is your name Alexus or just Lexus? lol). It can come off as rude if you don't know if she's tryna lose weight or not. Pretty risky move.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey
Joined
21 April 2021
Messages
2,315
Reactions Received
2,105
Location
Shibuya 109
Website
iprincesita.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
90
Fandom
Groo
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
To me, yes. It makes someone think about what they look like. That could make them look at things about themselves they don't like or they think could be fixed. It's just not a good idea to comment about someone's weight whether good or bad. When u praise someone for being skinny, it makes them think they need to be skinny to be beauty. Or if u shame someone for being overweight, they'll feel like they need to start eating less to be skinny and feel beautiful. Just not a good idea because u never know what they could be insecure about, what their mental state is like, or how they will react to ur comments.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I never comment on it unless someone is telling me that they are losing weight and are happy with the weight they lost. Otherwise I do find it rude or something you shouldn't comment on because you don't know what people are going through health-wise. Also, with Youtubers and stuff these people are not your friends or someone you know so its just weird to comment on their weight or appearance like you personally know them.
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
The only times when I was bothered by a comment on my weight has been on times when I gained weight, and I was feeling physically bad because of it, and yet people kept saying I looked better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
.
.
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
12,423
Reactions Received
54,952
Location
ARMY base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
55
Gender
Female
Ship
mmm if I know that person is trying to lose/gain weight then yeah, I might compliment them, I don't think saying that they made a progress is rude

As for myself, I don't really get offended anyway, I was sometimes skinnier than I wanted to be, but it didn't bother me when people told me that I lost weight. Or when I started to go to the gym, it was a compliment when people started to notice without me pointing that I'm making a progress
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mangoey

Mangoey

⤔ ғ ʟ ᴀ ᴍ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴏ ⬹
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
8,269
Reactions Received
26,625
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
I think it depends on who the person who lost weight is, who's commenting on their weight loss and the tone of voice they use.

Like if I had previously told my friends that I was planning on losing weight or something and then they nicely commented on it, I would be pretty happy about it. But as an asian person, I've had so many of my parents' friends offer unwarranted comments on my looks and body - either positively or negatively (usually negatively lol) - in a very condescending tone and it always bothers me just a little.
 
  • Love
Reactions: lexus

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
I think it depends on who the person who lost weight is, who's commenting on their weight loss and the tone of voice they use.

Like if I had previously told my friends that I was planning on losing weight or something and then they nicely commented on it, I would be pretty happy about it. But as an asian person, I've had so many of my parents' friends offer unwarranted comments on my looks and body - either positively or negatively (usually negatively lol) - in a very condescending tone and it always bothers me just a little.
Smart thinking my small fruit :sanapray:
 
  • Love
Reactions: Mangoey
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I was just watching a video and I read a comment where someone said they noticed that the person in the video lost weight and that they looked good. They didn’t body shame her or call her fat, and whatnot. But there were replies to this comment saying that it was rude to comment on someone’s weight whether they lost or gained.
It seems to me all this is the result of having people from all over the world being brought together and bringing their own regional concepts of what's respectful and what's rude. Apparently, people in general (exceptions exist) think their regional way of thinking is the correct one.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread