Is Kpop starting to accept lgbt now? (1 Viewer)

Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't know much about male idols and BG's and if they have been including lgbtq content, but for GG's and female idols in 2020, there have been some gay-themed/undertones MV's/songs lately.

You got Irene and Seulgi, (G)I-DLE, Chungha, and now Gfriend with 'Apple'.

So, I was wondering, in your opinion, are companies starting to accept lgbtq content? Because before, there would be little to no lgbtq themed or gay undertones in MV's/songs in sight, but it seems in 2020, there has been quite a bit.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well there has been lgbt+ undertones before too, but maybe those are gradually increasing.

But even as early as BEG's Abracadabra there was almost kiss at the end of mv's between two members.



Then bit newer (2012), GLAM's Party XXO had pretty much LGBT+ positive lyrics

 
Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well there has been lgbt+ undertones before too, but maybe those are gradually increasing.

But even as early as BEG's Abracadabra there was almost kiss at the end of mv's between two members.



Then bit newer (2012), GLAM's Party XXO had pretty much LGBT+ positive lyrics

Yes, I've already seen these and there are many other LGBT MV's/Songs, etc, however, has there really been this many in a short amount of time? Usually there are only 1 or 2 lgbt kpop MV's in a year if we're lucky.
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Yes, but I'm afraid of companies misusing it. Representation is important but kpop fans sometimes overdo and push the LGBTQ concept so much, that I'm afraid that they'll just use it to lure in fans or profit from it. That's something that I find not acceptable
 
Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yes, but I'm afraid of companies misusing it. Representation is important but kpop fans sometimes overdo and push the LGBTQ concept so much, that I'm afraid that they'll just use it to lure in fans or profit from it. That's something that I find not acceptable
You have a good point. I think as long as it brings positive representation, then I am all for it. But if it does not, then I am against it also.
Hopefully though that the idols will be able to see through companies doing it for the wrong reasons though and they refuse to do it that way.
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
You have a good point. I think as long as it brings positive representation, then I am all for it. But if it does not, then I am against it also.
Hopefully though that the idols will be able to see through companies doing it for the wrong reasons though and they refuse to do it that way.
not everyone is free in their company. Artists from AOMG have almost absolute freedom but artists from SM or YG e.g. have almost no creative freedom
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
No. Until we see a kpop idol who is openly Lgbt and won’t get discriminated against and asked to step down then lgbt won’t be accepted In kpop.

they can use as many rainbow flags at the end of the day and use lgbt people like props to make them look woke but if they can’t even help their own artists who are actually lgbt then it’s not acceptance in my book.
 
Joined
18 June 2020
Messages
651
Reactions Received
1,212
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Other
Pronouns
they/them
I don't know much about male idols and BG's and if they have been including lgbtq content, but for GG's and female idols in 2020, there have been some gay-themed/undertones MV's/songs lately.

You got Irene and Seulgi, (G)I-DLE, Chungha, and now Gfriend with 'Apple'.

So, I was wondering, in your opinion, are companies starting to accept lgbtq content? Because before, there would be little to no lgbtq themed or gay undertones in MV's/songs in sight, but it seems in 2020, there has been quite a bit.
Hopefully. I'm scared it might just be more of a new "trend" that's starting to happen that's not about supporting but profiting off lgbt like its a trend. But I really hope I'm wrong and there starting to be more accepting. Only time will tell.
 
Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
No. Until we see a kpop idol who is openly Lgbt and won’t get discriminated against and asked to step down then lgbt won’t be accepted In kpop.

they can use as many rainbow flags at the end of the day and use lgbt people like props to make them look woke but if they can’t even help their own artists who are actually lgbt then it’s not acceptance in my book.
Well, if you put it that way then you are correct but I think that as long as they don't misrepresent and take small steps towards lgbt positivity, then that is something imo.
 

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,597
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,428
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
there is a difference between genuine acceptance and making gay themed music videos. k-pop companies or even idols can still be homophobic and use lgbt undertones as a part of fanservice. i love all the songs given as examples but unfortunately i doubt that if an idol came out as gay the reaction would be as positive as it is for these songs/mvs. but it's still better than nothing so i guess i'll take what i can get.
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,363
Reactions Received
27,574
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,986
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
I feel like companies are more open to the idea of having lgbtq undertones, but I don’t think they’re any more open tbh
It was only a few years ago that SNH48’ MV for Uza was banned for implying a lesbian couple
 
Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I feel like companies are more open to the idea of having lgbtq undertones, but I don’t think they’re any more open tbh
It was only a few years ago that SNH48’ MV for Uza was banned for implying a lesbian couple
That's true, however, things are slowly changing overtime, so I think if they produce more meaningful lgbt content that represents in a good light, then I think that eventually, acceptance will come.
There is still such a long way to go though.
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Hasn't this always been a thing in K-Pop though? Maybe not in their MVs but K-pop idols have always been doing skinship (hugging, holding hands, kissing even) and baiting fans into shipping them since K-Pop first became a thing. The only difference now is that they're just also doing it in their music videos. But is featuring it in MVs to make i-fans happy considered acceptance? I'm not too sure. They could literally just be doing it for hype and views.
But that said, I do agree that idols these days are much more open about it. There are plenty who have publicly shown their support and others who have said things in their concerts or fanmeets. I'm not sure if they're more accepting as a whole but I think idols are more aware of it because of their large international following these days.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,239
Reactions Received
76,670
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,772
Ship
Wreck
When you compare how much progress has been made in gender, race and sexual equality in the US then you can see that sexual equality made more progress in a shorter amount of time.

There will of couse come a point where it would need to be publicly accepted as a whole to make real progress but I think it's getting people more used to the idea and will make it relatively fast when that moment does finally happen.
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Well there has been lgbt+ undertones before too, but maybe those are gradually increasing.

But even as early as BEG's Abracadabra there was almost kiss at the end of mv's between two members.



Then bit newer (2012), GLAM's Party XXO had pretty much LGBT+ positive lyrics

I was about to say this, Kpop has never rejected LGBTQ+ before, I think they've become more open about it and I would say Korean Society as well. Of course, they still pretty much conservative but they're not hiding it or trying to deny it.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Is it weird that I didn't see most of these as gay???? O.o

The rep in them with back up dancers and lyrics maybe (I don't know the lyrics) but the SeulgiXIrene one I don't really get??? Same with Apple?

Also I'm pretty sure G (IDLE's one was about goddesses or something not necessarily lesbians???
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Yoohyeon
Joined
14 July 2019
Messages
2,532
Reactions Received
8,405
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Is it weird that I didn't see most of these as gay???? O.o

The rep in them with back up dancers and lyrics maybe (I don't know the lyrics) but the SeulgiXIrene one I don't really get??? Same with Apple?

Also I'm pretty sure G (IDLE's one was about goddesses or something not necessarily lesbians???
Seulrene's MV is referenced to a couple of lesbian movies, one of them being The Handmaiden which is a Korean Lesbian movie.

This is the English Version of (G)I-DLE's Oh My God, the lyrics are different and more sexual:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread