- Joined
- 10 September 2019
- Messages
- 62,057
- Reactions Received
- 52,509
- Location
- Europe and Asia
- Website
- www.ancestry.com
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 201,062
- Fandom
- 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
- Gender
- Male
- Pronouns
- Eurasian
we do have political and legal studies in HS if I recall correctlyI am not sure we have that here @Selfmate
yes we didwe do have political and legal studies in HS if I recall correctly
CBSE?depends on where you're from.
here in india (i'm talking about cbse) a class called social and political life (which was mostly basic pol sc with a bit of basic sociology) was a part of our social studies course (which also included history and geography) in middle school (6th-8th grade).
then we had pol sc proper in 9th and 10th grade as a part of the social studies course (which was like the middle school social studies except you also had economics).
in 11th and 12th grade, there's no one subject called social studies, one can study each of the disciplines that came under it as independent subjects. so pol sc too can be taken, but it's optional. anyway you can take it up in college even if you didn't do it in 11th and 12th grade.
My middle school (when we started languages) offered only Spanish. We didn't even have French![]()
My high school had more, there were 3 or 4 languages. But we were also told that colleges would prefer that we stick with the original language we picked, so the only reasonable choice was to stick with Spanish![]()
taking Spanish whilst taking psychology is a real eye opener."You can learn another language, but that'd be stupid, innit?"![]()
I am not sure we have that here @Selfmate
I wish my school did T^Twe do have political and legal studies in HS if I recall correctly
it's an optional unit (elective) down underI wish my school did T^T
it'd be an elective here as well, but one of our required credits in u.s government so i signed up for it and I hope we get to have debates bc honestly, that'd be really fun :3it's an optional unit (elective) down under
I think in the US they have units or classes on civics which I think is slightly different down underit'd be an elective here as well, but one of our required credits in u.s government so i signed up for it and I hope we get to have debates bc honestly, that'd be really fun :3
I think in the US they have units or classes on civics which I think is slightly different down under
we have a civics responsibility class (but it's for after school and you have to personally go to the teacher offering it to us)Here we have a “civics” class in high school which is probably the most similar thing. In college and university (yes they are two separate things here) we have political science.
Extremely hard to remember is a big stretch, especially for an English speaker learning to speak Spanish, French, or German. I do think foreign language should be introduced at a younger age, but I don’t think it’s any more useless having high schoolers learn languages than having all students learn algebra 2. Will most students forget the foreign language they learn? Sure. But that’s true of most subjects, yet requiring they be taught isn’t unreasonable. And the idea of not requiring any foreign language at any point sounds pretty bad imo because it teaches more than just how to say pineapple, it teaches about languages in general from a broader viewpoint, as well as cultural influences sometimes.taking Spanish whilst taking psychology is a real eye opener.
learning a second language shouldn't be required in high school bc our critical periods have ended to learn languages which makes it extremely hard to remember
CBSE?
en.wikipedia.org