Is the album sale growth nowadays actual growth? (1 Viewer)

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
Nowadays it appears a lot of groups are seeing big jumps in the physical side of things but are these groups actually growing as much as they appear to be or is it a result of fandoms inflating their numbers?

For those that don't know which way I am talking about it is the donation campaigns that you've probably seen around and end up resulting in bulk buying albums which bulk buying is not anything new in kpop and has been around for ages.

What is new with these donation campaigns though is that they are raising money even as far as months ahead of comebacks and the albums that are bought are not going anywhere but instead just being given out to random people as this avoids shipping costs which lets you buy more albums.

What are your thoughts on the situation and if kpop groups are actually growing that fast or are fans just making it seem like they are?​
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it's tricky. It's kinda both in a way. I do think some growth plays part in it but at the same time fans are buying more too
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
It's a mix of growth in numbers and an increase in dedication, which is arguably more important
Something tells me that gg stand won't be sustaining this culture for too long

Speaking of which, did Nevies fundraise for Idle? Cuz I don't remember seeing anything but that jump is huge
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
It's a mix of growth in numbers and an increase in dedication, which is arguably more important
Something tells me that gg stand won't be sustaining this culture for too long

Speaking of which, did Nevies fundraise for Idle? Cuz I don't remember seeing anything but that jump is huge
Well in Ktown alone (G)I-dle got 60k in pre-orders which is 18k more than they have even sold overall and that's just from 1 store, that'd be an insane amount of growth that could only be from Queendom as any kind of explanation and I don't think (G)I-dle is gonna jump potentially 70k naturally from Queendom.
 
Joined
23 February 2019
Messages
186
Reactions Received
552
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I think Queendom played a really big part. Lion being on the album helps a lot to sell this album. Even so they did not win, looking at their youtube viewers, social numbers and now their increase in sells it is easy to say queendom gave them the biggest boost out of all participating girl groups.

I love it that they finally get recognized more in Korea!
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
I think Queendom played a really big part. Lion being on the album helps a lot to sell this album. Even so they did not win, looking at their youtube viewers, social numbers and now their increase in sells it is easy to say queendom gave them the biggest boost out of all participating girl groups.

I love it that they finally get recognized more in Korea!
They already had a hit in Korea though with Latata and even Hann only did a little worse than Latata, it was just last year they did kinda flat but they were still growing as a group
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
It's a mix of growth in numbers and an increase in dedication, which is arguably more important
Something tells me that gg stand won't be sustaining this culture for too long

Speaking of which, did Nevies fundraise for Idle? Cuz I don't remember seeing anything but that jump is huge
Well in Ktown alone (G)I-dle got 60k in pre-orders which is 18k more than they have even sold overall and that's just from 1 store, that'd be an insane amount of growth that could only be from Queendom as any kind of explanation and I don't think (G)I-dle is gonna jump potentially 70k naturally from Queendom.
Well, from my experience as a kpop veteran I can say that now is easier to buy physical albums compared to 7-10 years ago. Back then I just had the option to purchase digital albums because on top of the expensive shipping (which still expensive af) we barely had online stores.

About G-idle, I don't want to be that person but their sudden jump in sales is honestly weird. They're trendy, indeed but enough to surpass BP, Mamamoo, and Twice's 1st day of sales??
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abeamus and yeji

perhapz

ab imo pectore
.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
6,070
Reactions Received
31,387
Location
🏰 & 🍀
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I think there was a c-nevies bulk buy with donations, yeah, which might have helped with the huge increase in numbers.

But at the same time I really think Idle grew a lot with Queendom, and specifically Lion

In the end, I'd say a lot of factors contributed to these sales numbers and, at the same time, all the other fandoms have the opportunity to do the same, so this shows, at the very least, that Idle's fanbase is really growing or getting more avid
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abeamus and Ashla_K

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
Well, from my experience as a kpop veteran I can say that now is easier to buy physical albums compared to 7-10 years ago. Back then I just had the option to purchase digital albums because on top of the expensive shipping (which still expensive af) we barely had online stores.

About G-idle, I don't want to be that person but their sudden jump in sales is honestly weird. They're trendy, indeed but enough to surpass BP, Mamamoo, and Twice's 1st day of sales??
Yeah it's definitely got easier for international fans which has seen an increase in sales however that was like a gradual increase and then last year groups just started doubling their sales in 1 comeback and now we're hearing about people buying albums like that through these projects.

It's a big jump but I don't think they are doing anything other groups aren't already doing and this is just another way that is gonna change the market as more groups are able to hit 100k.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ashla_K

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread