Is there anyone running linux? (1 Viewer)

Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Recently, someone asked what are everyone running, windows or mac. I just said I was running linux. I want to know who is running linux, either as the only system, on a partition, or whatever.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: gone4good
Joined
31 December 2022
Messages
27,461
Reactions Received
39,089
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
84,782
Fandom
Swith*PNK-Panda
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Supreme Lord Emperor Commander
I do or atleast have been trying too. I'm trying to install Arch on a Chromebook but I decided to give up. OMG, Chromebooks are trash! :pandangry: I currently have Endeavor installed. Not a big fan so I'll probably switch back to Arch or Mint.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I do or atleast have been trying too. I'm trying to install Arch on a Chromebook but I decided to give up. OMG, Chromebooks are trash! :pandangry: I currently have Endeavor installed. Not a big fan so I'll probably switch back to Arch or Mint.
You had them installed and switch to endeavor? How have been your experience installing linux software?
 
Joined
31 December 2022
Messages
27,461
Reactions Received
39,089
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
84,782
Fandom
Swith*PNK-Panda
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Supreme Lord Emperor Commander
You had them installed and switch to endeavor? How have been your experience installing linux software?
Installing is usually pretty easy, especially on a desktop. installing on a laptop can be more complicated which is where I have my hangups.
 
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
12,435
Reactions Received
9,449
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
76,830
Gender
Male
Currently, I use Lubuntu only on a rather old laptop (I mainly use it for reading eBooks). Because of my job I work with the latest Windows version(s) anyway, so there's no need for me to say goodbye to Microsoft. That being said, I still prefer Windows 10 over 11 on my personal PC.

Installing Linux isn't that difficult - except for driver issues when your hardware is too new (stable Linux drivers are almost always behind stable Windows drivers in terms of updates) or too unusual. The easiest way to install Linux is via USB stick. Make sure that your BIOS can read the stick when booting the PC and change the boot order of your drives in the BIOS before installation - especially on older mainboards.



The way of installing Linux should be the same with all modern and user-friendly distributions.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Michael

shadow

.
.
Joined
10 April 2023
Messages
24,012
Reactions Received
19,103
Location
uran
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
97,644
Fandom
uwanator
Ship
Currently, I use Lubuntu only on a rather old laptop (I mainly use it for reading eBooks). Because of my job I work with the latest Windows version(s) anyway, so there's no need for me to say goodbye to Microsoft. That being said, I still prefer Windows 10 over 11 on my personal PC.

Installing Linux isn't that difficult - except for driver issues when your hardware is too new (stable Linux drivers are almost always behind stable Windows drivers in terms of updates) or too unusual. The easiest way to install Linux is via USB stick. Make sure that your BIOS can read the stick when booting the PC and change the boot order of your drives in the BIOS before installation - especially on older mainboards.



The way of installing Linux should be the same with all modern and user-friendly distributions.
The way I had to install Ubuntu as part of my assignment within the first weeks of this semester:scree: well I’ve dropped out of the I.T course just 2 weeks ago so now I won’t need to worry about it anymore:mgblush:
it was interesting having to learn about all the different softwares we have to use and download tho. I know Windows users have it a lot easy than mac users (I’m a Mac user) :haylul:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pirioca
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Currently, I use Lubuntu only on a rather old laptop (I mainly use it for reading eBooks). Because of my job I work with the latest Windows version(s) anyway, so there's no need for me to say goodbye to Microsoft. That being said, I still prefer Windows 10 over 11 on my personal PC.

Installing Linux isn't that difficult - except for driver issues when your hardware is too new (stable Linux drivers are almost always behind stable Windows drivers in terms of updates) or too unusual. The easiest way to install Linux is via USB stick. Make sure that your BIOS can read the stick when booting the PC and change the boot order of your drives in the BIOS before installation - especially on older mainboards.



The way of installing Linux should be the same with all modern and user-friendly distributions.
I installed and I'm using ParrotOS, a Debian distribution. It was easy, but I'm having difficulties on installing Duplicati. On Windows, it was very easy. On linux it has been much more difficult.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pirioca
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
12,435
Reactions Received
9,449
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
76,830
Gender
Male
I installed and I'm using ParrotOS, a Debian distribution. It was easy, but I'm having difficulties on installing Duplicati. On Windows, it was very easy. On linux it has been much more difficult.
I never used Duplicati but I hope this helps (if you still have problems with the installation):


Latest Duplicati version:

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I never used Duplicati but I hope this helps (if you still have problems with the installation):


Latest Duplicati version:

Well, I had installed it, but it was giving me errors. I yesterday, downloaded a new version and it did worked. It happen that there were bugs in Duplicati. My inability to restore my data was driving me crazy. However, I have had many problems installing software. Anki was one that I needed and yet I was unable to make it work.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pirioca
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
12,435
Reactions Received
9,449
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
76,830
Gender
Male
Well, I had installed it, but it was giving me errors. I yesterday, downloaded a new version and it did worked. It happen that there were bugs in Duplicati. My inability to restore my data was driving me crazy. However, I have had many problems installing software. Anki was one that I needed and yet I was unable to make it work.
Did you try the installation steps as described in the user manual?

 
  • Like
Reactions: Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Did you try the installation steps as described in the user manual?

Well, no bug will show in a manual. An update solved the problem (using the downloaded duplicati-2.1.0.5_stable_2025-03-04-linux-x64-gui.deb with the GDebi Package Installer). Now, Anki. I'll look into it, but I'd gotten the impression some people show no problem while others do. Maybe the way the software is configured. I'm sure I did the right steps, yet Anki didn't behave as expected.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pirioca
Joined
30 December 2022
Messages
12,435
Reactions Received
9,449
Location
Germany
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
76,830
Gender
Male
Well, no bug will show in a manual. An update solved the problem (using the downloaded duplicati-2.1.0.5_stable_2025-03-04-linux-x64-gui.deb with the GDebi Package Installer). Now, Anki. I'll look into it, but I'd gotten the impression some people show no problem while others do. Maybe the way the software is configured. I'm sure I did the right steps, yet Anki didn't behave as expected.
What exactly doesn't work?

Here are some troubleshooting tips.

 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
What exactly doesn't work?

Here are some troubleshooting tips.

Exactly.... I didn't remember. While looking into it, I noticed a missing library. I installed it, and reinstalled anki again. It worked. I need to take detailed notes to remember all of it. In my state of mind, I have to take my time and take plenty of notes. Frustration is easy to get.
1741791675445.png

Now it works.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Pirioca
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
:thumbsupcat:

I have a text file of configuration tips for my hard- and software. Internet sites could die or they could be technical problems with ISPs, it's important for me to save these informations offline.
That's a good tip to have. I'm finding markdown files to be easy to make and useful to display.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pirioca

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread