Itzy are clearly a product of their time (1 Viewer)

Drew_B

.
Joined
2 March 2019
Messages
5,950
Reactions Received
15,071
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
2,849
Fandom
MeU
Gender
Male
I finally listened to their new mini album.

Overall I enjoyed it. But the main thing i noticed about it was there were no slow tempo/ballad songs.

Every track on there was trying to be a club banger. Usually that's not a problem for me. I prefer hype songs over ballads but 7 straight lit club songs got tiring after a while.

I'm always comparing Itzy to f(x) cause I feel they were designed as a spiritual successor to my faves. The five member teen crush group aimed at a different audience from the nation girl group SNSD and Twice. Using 2010 NU ABO album as a comparison you can see the difference in eras. f(x) mini album had two hype songs in NU ABO and MR BOOGIE then two cutesy songs in ICE CREAM and ME+U, then a slow ballad in SORRY DEAR DADDY. Tons of variety.

This is not a diss at Itzy. Like the thread title suggests Itzy is a product of their time. They debuted in the peak era of girl crush and kpop in general these days are afraid of losing the attention of their fans so everything they do now has to be in your face. They cant risk slowing it down with even one slow ballad.

What did you think of Itzy new album?

@emanresu
 

tai

from the land to the sea 🇵🇸
.
Joined
13 December 2019
Messages
15,368
Reactions Received
19,079
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,194
Fandom
#1 🎵taste
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Honestly, when I first listened to Itzy my initial reaction was "wow they need some work." Especially when watching their comeback stage, the vocals were a bit unstable (at least to me they were) Overall I'm not satisfied with them.
 

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
The lack of ballads or slower fare will be a definite knock against them for me.

I'm just not on board with this new era of balls to the wall 24/7. It lacks nuance and creativity. It feels like a regression musically.


But let me go listen to the album. Despite my negative comments I tend to love ITZY so I'm sure I'll enjoy the album, even if I have misgivings regarding this new "we have to be alpha all the time or people will think we're weak" mentality.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I do think an album needs to have different sides. we need ballads, hype songs, and other musical styles. it shows and introduces a group much better
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread