News Japan officially removes South Korea from white list (1 Viewer)

Joined
18 March 2019
Messages
873
Reactions Received
2,138
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Btw where does the 160 number come from? Just wondering if there was another article on this I could read.

"This is all in response to Japan's accusations of South Korea illegally supplying materials that can be used to make weapons to North Korea (SK officials have already admitted that around 160 units of these materials are 'unaccounted' for) "

Edit: If I missed it in the article you posted I apologize.
 
Joined
9 August 2019
Messages
1
Reactions Received
0
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
This is an interesting topic. I've been following East Asian politics for a while. While I agree with the OP on some points, the OP sounds quite biased in that s/he is depicting the Korean political context or views in a cartoonish manner while faithfully reiterating official Japanese claims on all fronts.

The OP basically insinuated that Koreans are simple-minded people who can just say "The Japanese are bad people" when they hear "Japan", which itself is a very simplistic and twisted view of the vibrant democratic society. If interested, one can take a look at nuanced in-depth surveys that the Genron NPO has conducted. Click the link for full reports.

39131


South Korean officials are of course trying to deny this and are saying that this is Japanese retaliation for the decisions made by South Korean courts to force Japanese companies to provide compensation for forced labour in WWII (A court decision that goes against the agreements of 1965 and 2015). However SK officials have been caught on record admitting that around 160 units of these materials are unaccounted for.
Where did you get that part? In most articles I've read, the 'security concern' raised by Tokyo was brushed off as a mere facade to sidestep trouble because as a WTO member, you are not supposed to weaponize trade for political reasons apart from national security concerns. Tokyo would be foolish to openly admit they are retaliating against the Korean court's decisions.

[Washington Post] Japan claims it's restricting exports to South Korea because of 'national security'. Here's the real reason why.
[New York Times] Japan cites 'national security' in free trade crackdown. Sound Familiar?
[Diplomat] What's driving Japan's trade restrictions on South Korea?
[Foreign Policy] Why are Japan and South Korea in a trade fight?

I don't understand why they were on the white list to begin with, If Singapore and Taiwan + the majority of ASEAN countries aren't on it what makes SK officials think they deserve special treatment.
I'm not sure why Singapore is not on the list, either. As for South Korea, they are the third biggest importer of Japanese goods. There must have been economic and/or political incentives for Tokyo to bring South Korea into the club in 2004.

List of the largest trading partners of Japan (2017)
39128


I'm running out of time. I will revisit this thread later.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread