Just because your fave writes and produces their own music does NOT mean its good! (2 Viewers)

Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
For me writing your own songs and being involved with them is important cause i value artistry. This is how it should be are my thoughts. I think it comes from that before kpop i listened to rock bands instead of pop artists so it just seems more natural. And tbh, usually it does sound better.
Hmm, I do see your point, but tbh I grew up with pop music and I still really love it and the culture behind it so I dont think that I really cared that much about writing or producing, but it is a plus. I think that there are many artists who have a message that they want to put out in a song but dont know how to word it correctly or produce. and I think thats where professional producers come in to help with that. Songwriters also have a lot of lyrics that they want to put out into songs but they cant embody it or they dont have the performance skills to do so. And I think thats where singers come in.
an example of this is the producer of satellite and curiosity (songs that loona released) got so emotional reacting to her song being performed by loona live because of how good the girls embodied her work on stage. (go to about 4:04 and watch the rest.)
 

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I mean...

Whether or not music is "good" is all subjective. What some people think is pretty freaking awesome could be horrible for others and vice versa. I always feel like those types of arguments are usually pointless and moot.

However, it does take some skill and knowledge to even have the ability to produce your own music. A lot of people don't even know where to start when it comes to producing.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Hmm, I do see your point, but tbh I grew up with pop music and I still really love it and the culture behind it so I dont think that I really cared that much about writing or producing, but it is a plus. I think that there are many artists who have a message that they want to put out in a song but dont know how to word it correctly or produce. and I think thats where professional producers come in to help with that. Songwriters also have a lot of lyrics that they want to put out into songs but they cant embody it or they dont have the performance skills to do so. And I think thats where singers come in.
an example of this is the producer of satellite and curiosity (songs that loona released) got so emotional reacting to her song being performed by loona live because of how good the girls embodied her work on stage. (go to about 4:04 and watch the rest.)
It does make sense too, but if there is songwriter or producer outside of the group then I would like to see them working together with the group instead of just saying who gets which part. I just like the genuinity in music, showing your own art, and well kpop is rly bad genre with that when everything is more or less produced, but still it's sth i look for. Artistry is sth i value above everything else in music (though ofc it still needs to sound good). Still, I acknowledge that many groups who don't do their own music (like Blackpink from groups i like) have good music and perform it well.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
while i have gotten into it with twitter armys about this... I was mainly just making this about anyone who keeps on putting so much value on a group being self-produced cause some of the songs ive heard that are so "great" because the members produced it... I won't speak of that. but I like the majority of the songs bts make so this doesnt go towards them
:ilovebread:
also, do rocket girls self produce?
Oh no not the group Rocket Girls, this abomination Stellar had for a debut song, it's not self produced though
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
Sometimes professional producers give you Zimzalabim, sometimes they give you Ice Cream Cake
Sometimes self-composing gives you Love Scenario, sometimes it doesn't. Though sometimes the concepts are questionable, I don't think I've heard a self-composed song with actual flaws in production.

Kinda on both sides of this
I don't think idols should be shamed for not writing their own music, they're idols after all. Song-writing and composition is a great additional skill, not a necessary requirement and every company has different standards for who can and can't write. If it can't be done well, they shouldn't be doing it

But there is a difference in idols that get to have imput and create their own music than the idols that don't. You never see them frustrated on what or when they're releasing and they generally seem more content. I'm sure Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet and Gfriend would be bringing something very different to the table if they were given the opportunity and every single one has expressed interest in doing it.


Focus on your faves ig and anticipate Godsica's comeback :joysip:
Gfriend actually have song writing credits as a whole group for their bside Hope and Twice do bits here and there including song writing and choreography from what I know but unsure how many members do that.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I honestly don't care about that. It's just as much as a skill as singing or dancing.
There are tho 'Idols' that self produce that deserve high praise like Zico since he has been on of the top producers for years and is defently one of the top rappers in korea. And someone like Wheesung deserve for example praise (and more love) not only due to his crazy vocal ability, he also works like crazy on songs and has produced hits not only for himself but also for others ( Ailee's Heaven has been produced by him for example).
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Gfriend actually have song writing credits as a whole group for their bside Hope and Twice do bits here and there including song writing and choreography from what I know but unsure how many members do that.
I knew Yuju had a lot of interest in composing but I didn't know SouMu let them write for Fever
Twice actually has a fair amount of bsides, especially in the last year, but JYP won't let them pick the image, concepts or title tracks
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I knew Yuju had a lot of interest in composing but I didn't know SouMu let them write for Fever
Twice actually has a fair amount of bsides, especially in the last year, but JYP won't let them pick the image, concepts or title tracks
that's such a JYP thing tho. I remember the 2PM boys complaining years ago how they never are able to get a track they made on their own be picked as a title.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,208
Reactions Received
76,668
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,597
Ship
Wreck
I knew Yuju had a lot of interest in composing but I didn't know SouMu let them write for Fever
Twice actually has a fair amount of bsides, especially in the last year, but JYP won't let them pick the image, concepts or title tracks
Yuju actually has it as one of her hobbies and did it before Hope so she's probably dying to get the chance to do it professionally.

The image and concept is something I can kinda understand as they could pick something that moves Twice too fast which you wanna be careful of but Twice have so many title tracks there's no excuse for not using one of them for a title track :wimwim:
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
that's such a JYP thing tho. I remember the 2PM boys complaining years ago how they never are able to get a track they made on their own be picked as a title.
WG couldn't write their own title until JYP gutted their entire creative team smh :nayeonisdone:
When it comes to ggs writing, JYP is the best out of the Big 3 and that's really sad :yolk:
Yuju actually has it as one of her hobbies and did it before Hope so she's probably dying to get the chance to do it professionally.

The image and concept is something I can kinda understand as they could pick something that moves Twice too fast which you wanna be careful of but Twice have so many title tracks there's no excuse for not using one of them for a title track :wimwim:
We don't question Mr. AsianSoul in this house :chickill:
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
WG couldn't write their own title until JYP gutted their entire creative team smh :nayeonisdone:
When it comes to ggs writing, JYP is the best out of the Big 3 and that's really sad :yolk:

We don't question Mr. AsianSoul in this house :chickill:
yeah it really seems like that. in general males seem to get more oppertunitis to start writing which I think is odd. you never know if a gem like LE or IU appears so I think everyone should get a chance at least
 
Joined
21 November 2018
Messages
5,047
Reactions Received
18,455
Location
ARMY Base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8
Ship
I respect anyone who writes their own lyrics, but its mostly a bonus. Just because its self produced its not gonna be a great song.
I feel the same way about the vocalist arguement. Just because a group have a great vocalist(s) its not gonna make their songs great.
the music itself >>> everything else

also I love searching up the lyrics, when I love a song
sometimes I am really disappointed when I adore a song and the lyrics is actually meaningless/nonsense
but I only read the lyrics when I find the song good
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread