Kpop girl group generations (1 Viewer)

Joined
2 May 2019
Messages
146
Reactions Received
443
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I saw many people to count kpop generations differently. Some see this one as third, others fourth or even fifth...
Where do you see mark of the generation switch?


In my opinion I count this as third generation since we got three batches of top groups.



First generation had SES, FinKL at the very top
+ Baby Vox and Seeya as legendary groups




Second generation which was topped by Wonder Girls, SNSD, KARA and 2NE1
+ Sistar, Secret, 4Minute, MissA, Fx etc as legendary
+ AOA, Girls day, Crayon pop etc as trends




Third generation which is topped by Twice and BlackPink
+ Red Velvet, Mamamoo, Gfriend as legends of this gen.



​
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I think that's pretty accurate.

Boy group counterparts for me would be;
1 gen: H.O.T, Shinhwa, god etc.
2 gen: Big Bang, Super Junior, 2PM etc.
3 gen: BTS, Ikon etc.

Though i'm not sure about EXO, for me they aren't quite 2gen nor 3gen ^^;
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
151
Reactions Received
409
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I think that's pretty accurate.

Boy group counterparts for me would be;
1 gen: H.O.T, Shinhwa, god etc.
2 gen: Big Bang, Super Junior, 2PM etc.
3 gen: BTS, Ikon etc.

Though i'm not sure about EXO, for me they aren't quite 2gen nor 3gen ^^;
EXO are only 1 year older than BTS
How they are not 3rd generation with them?
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
seems quite accurate
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think that's pretty accurate.

Boy group counterparts for me would be;
1 gen: H.O.T, Shinhwa, god etc.
2 gen: Big Bang, Super Junior, 2PM etc.
3 gen: BTS, Ikon etc.

Though i'm not sure about EXO, for me they aren't quite 2gen nor 3gen ^^;
:yolk:I love you for mentioning them
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
EXO are only 1 year older than BTS
How they are not 3rd generation with them?
I guess it depends where u cut it, for me EXO peaked lot earlier than BTS did and somehow feel like mid generation, the kpop when EXO peaked was different than kpop scene now ^^; But I'm sure they aren't really 2gen either, I guess 3gen would make more sense for me as well.
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
151
Reactions Received
409
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
So when did you consider the start of third gen and are we in 3rd or 4th now? What makes 2012 special?
I think the shift that happened during Growl Era
Big agencies debuted new groups
So yeah 2012 was the year many groups debuted and had hits
Like AOA, EXO, Crayon pop
And more popular groups debuted like VIXX BtoB BAP
so I think 2012 was the start of 3rd generation
Maybe 2019 is the start of the 4th we still have groups who debuted on 2013 2015 2014 on the top so I can't feel the shift
 
Joined
2 May 2019
Messages
146
Reactions Received
443
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
EXO are only 1 year older than BTS
How they are not 3rd generation with them?
BEG is seen as 2nd gen. Seeya is always called first gen. Seeya debuted in Nov 2006, while BEG in March 2006. Which is also where I'm kinda stuck. :sanathink:

But imo I believe generations for bg starts always a bit before gg. Maybe its because BTS started to go strong later than EXO so people count them as top groups of different gen similar as BEG had Abracadabra while Seeya was already kinda disbanded? :dubuthink:


I think the shift that happened during Growl Era
Big agencies debuted new groups
So yeah 2012 was the year many groups debuted and had hits
Like AOA, EXO, Crayon pop
And more popular groups debuted like VIXX BtoB BAP
so I think 2012 was the start of 3rd generation
Maybe 2019 is the start of the 4th we still have groups who debuted on 2013 2015 2014 on the top so I can't feel the shift
But for bg and gg generations count differently and in gg world GG was still going strong in 2012. So what makes the mark of new gen? T-ARA's downfall?
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
151
Reactions Received
409
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I guess it depends where u cut it, for me EXO peaked lot earlier than BTS did and somehow feel like mid generation, the kpop when EXO peaked was different than kpop scene now ^^; But I'm sure they aren't really 2gen either, I guess 3gen would make more sense for me as well.
EXO's peak was from 2013-2015 and I'm sure that time was 3rd generation
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
151
Reactions Received
409
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
BEG is seen as 2nd gen. Seeya is always called first gen. Seeya debuted in Nov 2006, while BEG in March 2006. Which is also where I'm kinda stuck. :sanathink:

But imo I believe generations for bg starts always a bit before gg. Maybe its because BTS started to go strong later than EXO so people count them as top groups of different gen similar as BEG had Abracadabra while Seeya was already kinda disbanded? :dubuthink:
I don't see it like that :3
For example you can't call twice fourth generation for example when they are still the top gg now even though they debuted in 2015 :3
 
  • Like
Reactions: Abeamus and yeji
Joined
2 May 2019
Messages
146
Reactions Received
443
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't see it like that :3
For example you can't call twice fourth generation for example when they are still the top gg now even though they debuted in 2015 :3
Because honestly it was in 2014 when new batch of rookies started to aspire for top group position and when SNSD was starting to phase out. Twice was ust first one who reached this point.

But I couldnt see AOA, Apink, Crayon pop etc as rivals for SNSD. Mid gen would be more accurate for these groups, but if we wont count mid gens...
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
151
Reactions Received
409
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Because honestly it was in 2014 when new batch of rookies started to aspire for top group position and when SNSD was starting to phase out. Twice was ust first one who reached this point.

But I couldnt see AOA, Apink, Crayon pop etc as rivals for SNSD.
They had great potentials though
And they took many of snsd's fans when they debuted that's the reason they are considered the shift
Like 2ne1 had many hit songs too but sill were not considered #1
While the groups who debuted from 2012 and after all competed to take #1 spot
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,279
Reactions Received
76,674
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,005
Ship
Wreck
1st Generation - 1992-2002
2nd Generation 2003-2011
3rd Generation 2012-20??

Not sure when 3rd generation ends just yet but it's definitely approaching at least
 
Joined
2 May 2019
Messages
146
Reactions Received
443
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
They had great potentials though
And they took many of snsd's fans when they debuted that's the reason they are considered the shift
Like 2ne1 had many hit songs too but sill were not considered #1
While the groups who debuted from 2012 and after all competed to take #1 spot
But 2NE1 havent been considered start of a new gen...
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
151
Reactions Received
409
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
But 2NE1 havent been considered start of a new gen...
That's the point
They where in a generation many groups were popular WITH THEM
But the groups that are in the 3rd generation are popular with each other..
For simpler terms they weren't new blood but AOA and EXID for example were considered something new and surpassed many popular groups when they debuted same with the boy groups
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
It's 4th gen now that Cherry Bullet are coming for that NGG title
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evergreen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread