Kpop isn't enjoyable anymore (1 Viewer)

Joined
2 October 2019
Messages
1
Reactions Received
8
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I feel like the need to put this here.
Back in the days, when I discovered Kpop, I was so impressed by the various types of groups and various sounds of Kpop. Kpop was so much diverse, special and different. I remember back in the days when we all could just enjoy the music instead of being in a fanwar. I remember when we used not to care about our groups' achievements and just sit back, relax and appreciate their music. Kpop back then was more than just one group only. We stan a lot of groups like SNSD, BIGBANG, SUJU, 2NE1, 2PM, MISS A, KARA, TEEN TOP, MBLAQ and more.
But now, it's totally different. Now it's all about ONE group only and it's all about THAT GROUP is the best instead of 'ALL groups are EQUAL or the best'. Kpop nowadays isn't getting more interesting and enjoyable for me. Now, it's more to achievements instead of entertainment which is sad because I started to become a Kpop fan to be entertained by them. Kpop should be a source of ENTERTAINMENT, not PROFIT and recognition.
I don't get why every companies nowadays just don't really care much about what their groups can offer as an ENTERTAINER. They focuses their groups to get the most achievements and recognition and it's getting boring. Literally, every companies would like their groups to promote in America. For example, they would make their groups join the boring English interviews and talk about who's their favourite American artist or who do you want to collaborate with next. I rarely find Kpop groups in Korea anymore when they're making a comeback unless they're from a small companies who can't afford their groups to America. I prefer idols to promote and be active in their home country (Korea) instead of America because it's more fun and enjoyable. Please bring your idols to Weekly Idol, Idol Room, Knowing Bros, Running Man , etc instead of the any late night shows in America like the Ellen show or SNL. Do you think that your idols even enjoy themselves there, speaking in a foreign language which they don't even understand, smiling like an idiot and waiting when the show's going to end? I bet that these idols don't even want to be in American shows and would preferably to do some activities in Korean variety shows instead because it's more fun and enjoyable.
Compare the reaction of the idols like BTS at Jimmy Fallon show or the Ellen show to Wanna One or NCT at Weekly Idol. You can see that t more Kpop groups would enjoy themselves more on Korean variety shows instead. I feel sorry for BTS because they have to stand the next few years promoting their songs at boring American shows instead of Korean variety shows.
Also, I feel like most Kpop companies don't really care much about Korean fans anymore as they tend to focus on American fans. If I were Korean, I would be disappointed when my favourite Kpop groups don't even notice me being their fans. I feel like most companies nowadays priotize American and Western fans more than they care about Korean and Asian fans. They think that American fans are superior to Korean fans which is sad because Korean fans too, make up for their popularity and recognition. Most companies tend to focus on American fans because they think that they're the definition of validation, international and recognition.
I just wanted Kpop companies to stop focusing on American and Western recognition and validation and just focus on what they used to do instead. Why can't they make their groups promote in Korea for their comeback like they used to? Why can't they just stay in Korea and treat their fans equally instead of thinking that American fans are superior to Korean and Asian fans?
vidmate mobdro word counter
 
Last edited:

NASA

3แ‘ข273โท
.
.
Joined
2 July 2019
Messages
4,814
Reactions Received
19,142
Location
3แ‘ข 273โท
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,000
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Ship
Back in the days, when I discovered Kpop, I was so impressed by the various types of groups and various sounds of Kpop. Kpop was so much diverse, special and different. I remember back in the days when we all could just enjoy the music instead of being in a fanwar. I remember when we used not to care about our groups' achievements and just sit back, relax and appreciate their music. Kpop back then was more than just one group only. We stan a lot of groups like SNSD, BIGBANG, SUJU, 2NE1, 2PM, MISS A, KARA, TEEN TOP, MBLAQ and more.
Hmm wasn't there a bunch of fanwar stuff back in the day too tho? I can't remember which idol it was but on a tv show they talked about how their fandom were rivals to another fandom and that his fans came up to him all bloodied up saying they beat the other fans up or something... I can't recall perfectly and i'm too lazy to find it but from what i've heard, fanwars aren't a new or even remotely recent thing by a long shot. Many fans are still multifandom too. The only fans i've seen that claim to only be fans of one group tend to be the extremely vocal ones on twitter, almost every single kpop fan i've had the pleasure to talk to has been multifandom or they don't identify with any fandom and call themselves just a casual listener. The 1% that do only stan one group have only just discovered kpop and are asking me for suggestions. Sure the kpop industry as well as the fandoms have evolved but this sounds very exaggerated compared to what i've seen myself.
But now, it's totally different. Now it's all about ONE group only and it's all about THAT GROUP is the best instead of 'ALL groups are EQUAL or the best'.
Honestly it sounds like you don't personally interact with many kpop fans or get to know them just because personally i've come to a different conclusion after making many friends in the kpop community... This is the conclusion i'd imagine most people would come to after witnessing stan twitter but the vast majority of fans aren't like those on stan twitter and do believe that all groups are equal even if they just happen to prefer just one group. Sure that means that these fans will mostly only praise the one group they stan but just because they say nice things about one group doesn't mean they think other groups can't be equal. I'm not saying you definitely don't talk to other kpop fans or that you definitely have drawn your conclusion looking at stan twitter but that's just the feeling this sentence gives me after I compare it to my own experiences and the conclusions I drew from those.
I don't get why every companies nowadays just don't really care much about what their groups can offer as an ENTERTAINER. They focuses their groups to get the most achievements and recognition and it's getting boring. Literally, every companies would like their groups to promote in America. For example, they would make their groups join the boring English interviews and talk about who's their favourite American artist or who do you want to collaborate with next. I rarely find Kpop groups in Korea anymore when they're making a comeback unless they're from a small companies who can't afford their groups to America. I prefer idols to promote and be active in their home country (Korea) instead of America because it's more fun and enjoyable. Please bring your idols to Weekly Idol, Idol Room, Knowing Bros, Running Man , etc instead of the any late night shows in America like the Ellen show or SNL. Do you think that your idols even enjoy themselves there, speaking in a foreign language which they don't even understand, smiling like an idiot and waiting when the show's going to end? I bet that these idols don't even want to be in American shows and would preferably to do some activities in Korean variety shows instead because it's more fun and enjoyable.
Compare the reaction of the idols like BTS at Jimmy Fallon show or the Ellen show to Wanna One or NCT at Weekly Idol. You can see that t more Kpop groups would enjoy themselves more on Korean variety shows instead. I feel sorry for BTS because they have to stand the next few years promoting their songs at boring American shows instead of Korean variety shows.
The way you write this paragraph makes it sound like most kpop groups are going to America to promote. Personally I feel the reason a handful of kpop artists are now promoting in America is because those particular artist's music is also attractive to western listeners as well, as in they're the kind of songs you might hear on the radio in America and not feel like the music is out of place. These artists are also promoting in Korea too but if there's potential to make money overseas in the world's largest music industry then they're going to take it. This isn't a new concept either since before going to America, there would be a good handful of kpop artists going to promote in Japan. I agree that the American TV shows aren't as entertaining but that's just the trending TV shows they have in America, just like how shows like Running Man and Weekly Idol are trendy in Korea and same for Japan. They do't go on TV shows because they're fun, they go on TV shows because they're trendy in that part of the world and is a good platform to promote their music. Whether they're having fun or not, they're there to promote their music to the audience that will view the show. And remember idols in the past would have had a hard time promoting in Japan too because of the language barrier, it isn't a new thing that idols are going on TV shows where they can't understand the language spoken so it's not like the past was better.
Also, I feel like most Kpop companies don't really care much about Korean fans anymore as they tend to focus on American fans. If I were Korean, I would be disappointed when my favourite Kpop groups don't even notice me being their fans. I feel like most companies nowadays priotize American and Western fans more than they care about Korean and Asian fans. They think that American fans are superior to Korean fans which is sad because Korean fans too, make up for their popularity and recognition. Most companies tend to focus on American fans because they think that they're the definition of validation, international and recognition.
Korean fans still get all the fanmeets, fansigns, chances to see their idols on music shows etc. The BTS fanclub membership is practically useless if you're outside Korea or Japan because it only gets you into events held inside Korea. Just because idols are going abroad every now and then, having international concerts, and going on late night shows doesn't mean the American fans are the only ones being cared for, it's still very much so the domestic fans that get the bigger slice of the cake. I feel like companies haven't done anything but just finally acknowledge that international fans exist and just because they're finally getting a piece of the pie doens't mean they're the only ones the agencies focus on for a long shot, nor are American fans or international fans in general treated or thought of as superior. The reason these artists are expanding into western media isn't for validation, it's for the success, exactly the same as how idols began promoting in Japan years before they stepped foot into the US.

TL;DR Basically I don't agree with pretty much anything for a lot of reasons
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,193
Reactions Received
76,667
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,512
Ship
Wreck
That's strong rose tinted glasses as believe it or not the fans we have now are much better than the fans we had in the past since the most legendary fanwar to this day is Sones vs Blackjacks and before that it was Sones vs Wonderfuls, fanwars have always existed even back in Gen 1 but back in Gen 2 there was also stuff like an anti putting glue in one of the TVXQ members drinks causing him to cough up blood or in Gen 1 where a member of Baby VOX got a letter written in blood as well as letters filled with box cutter blades and one had a picture with her eyes gouged out all because of a dating rumour she had with a HOT member.

So if you'd rather go to a time where fans were literal psychopaths instead of just being keyboard warriors like the fans we have now are then be my guest.
 
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™
Ship
Wreck
do like Japanese artists ... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
 
Joined
1 March 2019
Messages
6,661
Reactions Received
14,598
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Kpop is what you make of it. Personally the male groups I stan are mostly in enlistment mode, so Iโ€™ve been getting into rookies this year. The female groups I stan stay mostly in Korea too so I still see the variety shows. I donโ€™t involve myself in fandom wars by not following people I know will get into them. Personally I like how my kpop life is going, but if youโ€™re not then either find new groups to listen to or leave.
 

yeji

โง@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden แƒฆ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Kpop is what you make of it. Personally the male groups I stan are mostly in enlistment mode, so Iโ€™ve been getting into rookies this year. The female groups I stan stay mostly in Korea too so I still see the variety shows. I donโ€™t involve myself in fandom wars by not following people I know will get into them. Personally I like how my kpop life is going, but if youโ€™re not then either find new groups to listen to or leave.
exactly how I feel. This has been happening kida to me too.
 
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™
Ship
Wreck
Kpop is what you make of it. Personally the male groups I stan are mostly in enlistment mode, so Iโ€™ve been getting into rookies this year. The female groups I stan stay mostly in Korea too so I still see the variety shows. I donโ€™t involve myself in fandom wars by not following people I know will get into them. Personally I like how my kpop life is going, but if youโ€™re not then either find new groups to listen to or leave.
Lucky that my groups are not popular in western countries lol
 

yeji

โง@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden แƒฆ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
carpe diem. just focus on the groups you enjoy. And there are alot of nice rookies lately or groups that debuted not too long ago.
I know the generation shift has been odd. It took me some time to give newer groups a chance but it is worth it to at least try.
 
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™
Ship
Wreck
Joined
5 March 2019
Messages
2,571
Reactions Received
7,514
Location
beomgyu
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
ATINY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Wreck
But now, it's totally different. Now it's all about ONE group only and it's all about THAT GROUP is the best instead of 'ALL groups are EQUAL or the best'.
i agree..
I dont think its fair to stan only one group and put one group above another. Sure i rank my favorite groups, but i only rank them by who i listen to the most. Yeah I post quite a lot of Ateez, and their number one on my list, but i dont think that their any better than BTS or any other group.

Now, all i hear from kpop fans, is BTS, like they are the only group EVER from Korea.

But i'll go now
 
  • Like
Reactions: potato and yeji
Joined
30 March 2019
Messages
5,067
Reactions Received
15,900
Location
๐š‚๐šž๐š๐šŠ'๐šœ ๐š๐šŠ๐š™๐šœ ๐Ÿค
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Squoosh โ™ก
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
they / them
Ship
Wreck
For me:
Kpop is enjoyable
but
the fans
are
not
 
  • Like
Reactions: potato and yeji
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
45,014
Reactions Received
52,919
Location
Rosรฉ's World
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
170,196
Fandom
GoldenStar
Gender
Male
I'm in S.E.A. n I'm kinda a nugu kpop fan, I only stan SNSD but I still enjoy listening to some other gg's n solo (female) songs. I knew abt kpop in the 2000s but dint get into it heavily until mid-last year. Before that I was a fan of indie western music artists but fell off coupla (3-4) years ago. So I feel ya somewat, it's (my faves then) just not the same anymore. But I think it's not kpop it's maybe your taste n likes changed or din't evolve with kpop, same as myself w/western indie music cos I dint know or like the newer music as much as I liked my faves earlier like Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos, Rachael Yamagata n Vienna Teng. When I couldn't find new music that moved me as much I hit a wall for a few years until I realised SNSD/kpop was great n I started to stan them. I missed out on the most active years of kpop/SNSD from 2009(first heard Gee)-2017 cos I was just stupid, ig.

Mostly don't think the same as you about kpop now cos I c there's tons of kpop artists still promoting on Korean shows(4 music [korean] shows r shown here in my country as well as 4 cable [korean] channels ; all the shows r ones shown in Korea first, I'm not watching most of them cos I'm not into those groups/idols/artists but the Korean fans/public im sure hv lots of shows to watch more than in my country cos we don't get mbc n other channels.

Sorry you find kpop isn't enjoyable anymore. Hope you find sth you enjoy doing as much as you did when listening to/watching kpop before. Even if it's sth else than kpop now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: potato and yeji
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
I disagree with everything you said.

Back in the days the fanwars between second generation fanbases were much more violent than now. Blinks vs Onces is nothing compared to Sones vs Blackjacks.

Not all the groups are focusing on the West. Only a few of them : BTS, Blackpink, NCT and MonstaX and they are still mainly focusing on the Asian market. BTS literally sacrificed their one week of rest last year to promote Idol in Korea. I stan EXO, BTS, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, Cherry Bullet, Dreamcatcher and Winner and honestly except for BTS itโ€™s a bit frustrating to not have access to the same content as their Korean fanbase. Fans are fans no matter where they are from. And Kpop companies know it well. Kpop is not only a musical genre but an industry. Companies are there to make money. So no they arenโ€™t giving up on their Korean fanbase but they are trying to go wherever theirs fans are.

And for BTS donโ€™t feel sorry about them. They are very happy to promote in America and to be in contact with so many Western artists. Itโ€™s pretty obvious when you watch the Bangtan Bombs.
And they donโ€™t go to Korean variety shows for almost three years. Itโ€™s their choice. They were mistreated sometimes so they decided not to go anymore. And ARMYs noticed that they were feeling uneasy on the Korean variety shows whereas they can be themselves in America. Itโ€™s just that since a lot of them canโ€™t really speak English, itโ€™s a bit hard for them to follow everything.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
K great
 

dark_tranquility

YOแ‘Œ แ—ชIแ—ชแ‘Ž'T แ—ทแ—ดTแ–‡แ—ฉY แ—ฐแ—ด, YOแ‘Œ แ—ทแ—ดTแ–‡แ—ฉYแ—ดแ—ช YOแ‘Œแ–‡Sแ—ดแ’ชแ–ด
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,040
Reactions Received
52,508
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
200,975
Fandom
๐”น๐•ƒ๐•€โ„•๐•‚
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
This just sounds like an American hate thing, more than a vent about Asian music.
America is the go to for most music to sell internationally.

Like it or not. A lot of Asian groups promote to American shores, even Korean
I don't see the issue here. If it sells well in another country, then why such disrespect?

That's what I got out of the OP anyways.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread