Kpop songs keep getting shorter (1 Viewer)

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
This is something I've noticed in kpop lately. A decent chunk of new releases aren't even hitting the 3 minute mark anymore. I just watched Namjoo's new MV and saw that it was only 2 minutes and 45 seconds. I really expected it to be longer.

Another thing I noticed is the Le Sserafim's new album has songs that are all less than 3 minutes. The whole album is 13 minutes long. That's it.
(Just using these are examples btw)

Has anyone else noticed it?
 
Joined
6 December 2021
Messages
31,373
Reactions Received
36,645
Location
Raven Guardian
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
161,088
Fandom
Blink/Monstiez
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Reflet
Wreck
Yeah, been noticing it for so many artists and groups everywhere.
They also cut out bridges sometimes. :pepecry1:
Yet those are the most beautiful vocals we get before the song ends
It's like entering a new phase :junweary:
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Nina
Joined
29 December 2022
Messages
1,037
Reactions Received
1,466
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,083
It's true, but I don't agree with most people that the reason is because of streaming numbers necessarily.

The current trend in k-pop is to make songs that are very steady, that lack dynamic shifts. There's a desire to sort of, "vibe", consistently.
Consider that, for example, a bridge is traditionally an intentional disruption to the established flow, and you can see how songwriters prefer to avoid them now.

The upshot, obviously, is shorter songs, and indeed, they SHOULD be shorter, because there isn't enough variation to keep them interesting for longer than they already are. I'd argue that many of the sort songs people complain about are already too long for my tastes.

But also, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about short songs. Or even monotonous, vibey songs. I've always thought making a pop song under three minutes makes it "moreish", addictive.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Selfmate

DaisySkies

it is what will hurt the least
.
Joined
25 October 2023
Messages
9,332
Reactions Received
8,650
Location
east egg
Website
scratch.mit.edu
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
42,566
Fandom
STAY
Gender
Female
I feel like the creativity is running out
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,384
Reactions Received
151,392
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I feel like I’ve heard this complaint for years now, it seems to be something that’s been going on for a long time now. I never pay much attention to length, outside of super super obvious examples (not kpop, but Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day is notably long).
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus
Joined
13 January 2023
Messages
50,320
Reactions Received
55,075
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
283,890
I think the issue is shorter songs are more easily streamed so I differ to caton above in that regards
whether they are done deliberately because of that or because of other reasons I'm not sure

obviously we as fans prefer longer songs but I don't mind as long as there are new songs...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread