kpop vs jpop's comebacks (1 Viewer)

Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I have been thinking on how both idol markets may compare, and I have found myself wondering mostly about mainstream jpop. Musically speaking, I don't care much about either of them; I care more about the alt-idol groups which may sound very differently. So my comparison can just go about how kpop markets and the jpop markets may behave in terms of comebacks and music releases.

Kpop makes each comeback a full experience. In the case of the group I was more interested in, Dreamcatcher, they began their promotion by publishing a series of mystery codes on social media, followed by the comeback schedule, teaser photos, mv teasers, and finally the mv. Then the promotion on variety shows, etc. It's a complete experience that tends to be consistent from one comeback to the next.

About jpop, my only experience have been with alt-idol groups; but I guess it also applies to mainstream jpop. Music release schedules are not as consistent. The release may be announced from one month or more in advance, and it might consist on the mv only. Physical releases may happen days after. In the case of PassCode's Starry Sky, the song was posted in audio only way before the actual mv. Uploads to spotify also don't happen the same day as the mv. So it's different, even from one comeback to the next, and that waters down the whole experience in my opinion. One thing that I have loved about the last two PassCode mvs is that they both have taken advantage of youtube's premiere feature and the girls have participated of the premiere chat.

Have anyone experienced both kpop and jpop comebacks? How may you compare the experiences?
 
Joined
2 September 2020
Messages
2,684
Reactions Received
5,370
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
to be honest some of my favorite songs from my favorite groups are their japanese comebacks. like stay gold is one of my favorite songs by bts and i like tt japanese ver better than the original. i think this has to do with my ✨weeb✨ phase when i refused to listen to anything but japanese music and nightcore songs.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: Willow and Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
to be honest some of my favorite songs from my favorite groups are their japanese comebacks. like stay gold is one of my favorite songs by bts and i like tt japanese ver better than the original. i think this has to do with my ✨weeb✨ phase when i refused to listen to anything but japanese music and nightcore songs.
Is it that you like their Japanese songs more? or is it that you like the whole comeback more? I can only guess here. It's likely that kpop groups releasing their musical work on Japan should do things more on Japanese ways since it's the Japanese market.

I like Japan; but I have to admit that I like better the way the comebacks are done in kpop.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow
Joined
2 September 2020
Messages
2,684
Reactions Received
5,370
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Is it that you like their Japanese songs more? or is it that you like the whole comeback more? I can only guess here. It's likely that kpop groups releasing their musical work on Japan should do things more on Japanese ways since it's the Japanese market.

I like Japan; but I have to admit that I like better the way the comebacks are done in kpop.
to be honest it depends on which group you talk about. if you were talking about blackpink’s japanese songs then no i hate the way yg produces blackpink’s japanese versions especially the raps like “baby im a star but no patrick” is a fat no. but twice’s japanese comebacks gotta be my favorite. for a while after i really got into twice candy pop was my favorite song still is one of my favs but thats because of my love for cute concepts. and twice’s japanese comebacks just seem better produced than their korean comebacks i mean like their korean comebacks still slap because its twice and girls like us is my favorite song by twice and thats from their fancy you album...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz 🇨🇭
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her 💗💛💙
Ship
Wreck
You are right... but I still prefer alt-idols over Kpop by far.
Actually I have always been loving Japanese music more, the only difference was that I was following few Kpop groups until last year.
In 2020 I think I have just listened to songs by curiosity than anything else and it doesn't seem to change...
The hype I had over Kpop and Korean artists in general is just over.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
You are right... but I still prefer alt-idols over Kpop by far.
Actually I have always been loving Japanese music more, the only difference was that I was following few Kpop groups until last year.
In 2020 I think I have just listened to songs by curiosity than anything else and it doesn't seem to change...
The hype I had over Kpop and Korean artists in general is just over.
Yeah, I prefer alt-idol much more than both kpop or mainstream jpop. I was a big fan only of Dreamcatcher, and was a casual fan of few others. It's just that my preferred music genre is only done by alt-idols, so that's my preference.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow

Tickita

𝒜𝓃 𝒾𝓃𝓋𝒾𝓃𝒸𝒾𝒷𝓁𝑒 𝓈𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓇.
.
.
.
Joined
30 January 2020
Messages
26,480
Reactions Received
39,142
Location
We're no strangers to love.
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,434
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she, her, mrrp
Yeah, so in my experience... K-Pop comebacks consists of a schedule, then teasers, medleys, release MV + album in the same day, music shows, variety shows.
J-Pop comebacks are teasers w/one date, a 60 sec TV spot, MV, album. I think there are music shows but I don't know how to find them. There may be more steps but this is my experience.

I'd say K-Pop comebacks are more memorable and keeps people in the loop, as well as bring others in the loop, by constantly keeping the idols in our face pre-CB and post-. I don't prefer one method over another, because I don't go on schedule anyway and eventually listen to the comeback a few months later.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow and Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Yeah, so in my experience... K-Pop comebacks consists of a schedule, then teasers, medleys, release MV + album in the same day, music shows, variety shows.
J-Pop comebacks are teasers w/one date, a 60 sec TV spot, MV, album. I think there are music shows but I don't know how to find them. There may be more steps but this is my experience.

I'd say K-Pop comebacks are more memorable and keeps people in the loop, as well as bring others in the loop, by constantly keeping the idols in our face pre-CB and post-. I don't prefer one method over another, because I don't go on schedule anyway and eventually listen to the comeback a few months later.
Yeah, mvs or the song itself may become more special depending on the comeback experience. As for jpop that has only happened with the last mvs released by PassCode, where they were premiered on youtube and the girls were in the chat. That has made them more memorable; but otherwise, both of them weren't really memorable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow and Tickita

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread