News Lawmakers Reportedly Propose ‘Sulli Act’ to Counter Malicious Comments (1 Viewer)

Joined
26 May 2019
Messages
470
Reactions Received
1,735
Location
SM's basement
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
According to media outlet World Today, a bill referred to as the “Sulli Act” was proposed by lawmakers to counter malicious comments.

The report states that the bill was proposed by nine members of the National Assembly. Approximately 100 organizations, including the Global Culture & Art Solidarity, Federation of Korean Trade Unions, and Korean Government Employee’s Union, as well as approximately 200 celebrities who either have experience receiving malicious comments or were colleagues with Sulli will be supporting the bill.

The act will officially be brought to the table on the 49th day of Sulli’s passing, in early December, at the National Assembly’s Memorial Hall.

 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Wasn't something like this proposed after Jonghyun died as well? Or am I getting facts mixed up?
I really hope something is done about malicious comments. People write everything and anything they desire because they are protected by anonymity. I really hope something is done and malicious comments become a crime.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I hope this will pass
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yoohyeon and Haolat

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I'm not as positive about this, since I'm not sure what it includes. I think online anonimity is precious, I personally don't really use any social medias that don't allow me to be behind username. To start with, it's not safe. So i'm not really into going against that to battle malicious comments. But it reminds to be seen what this would mean in practice- and i guess it would only involve Koreans.
 
Joined
23 November 2018
Messages
592
Reactions Received
2,029
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Pronouns
she/her
I'm not as positive about this, since I'm not sure what it includes. I think online anonimity is precious, I personally don't really use any social medias that don't allow me to be behind username. To start with, it's not safe. So i'm not really into going against that to battle malicious comments. But it reminds to be seen what this would mean in practice- and i guess it would only involve Koreans.
You can look up a person's identity even if they're hiding behind a username. Just because you're not disclosing your full identity to the userbase doesn't mean that the officials aren't able to look up who you are. You'd be surprised how much information can be gathered about one person even if they thought they haven't shared that much with the world, so in that regard "anonymity" is a pretty vague thing in the first place.

So I'm quite sure they'll still allow people to have the basic "anonymity", and that there'll probably just be more consequences for spreading those malicious comments. Which would be great, because people seem to trouble connecting internet people to real life and that just enables them to say whatever they want. I'd give up my anonymity any day and just get off the internet if it meant that online harassment was to be diminished.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
You can look up a person's identity even if they're hiding behind a username. Just because you're not disclosing your full identity to the userbase doesn't mean that the officials aren't able to look up who you are. You'd be surprised how much information can be gathered about one person even if they thought they haven't shared that much with the world, so in that regard "anonymity" is a pretty vague thing in the first place.

So I'm quite sure they'll still allow people to have the basic "anonymity", and that there'll probably just be more consequences for spreading those malicious comments. Which would be great, because people seem to trouble connecting internet people to real life and that just enables them to say whatever they want. I'd give up my anonymity any day and just get off the internet if it meant that online harassment was to be diminished.
I know that police etc. can get hold of someone identity even behind username. But i meant more of other users getting to know your full name, not being able conceal it. Because that's how some demands have seemed like me and I don't agree with that. However I'm not against them cracking harder towards hate comments.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread