LOONA Tournament Recap (1 Viewer)

Minuteman

Another Settlement Needs Your Help
.
.
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
7,387
Reactions Received
22,724
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
LOONA TOURNAMENT RECAP
LOONA TOURNAMENT - KPS EDITION


Heart Attack has won the LOONA Tournament!

#4 Heart Attack



Because of the number of views the music video had on YouTube, Heart Attack earned the #4 seed and a first-round bye, meaning it automatically moved on to Round 2. In Round 2, Heart Attack faced #13 One&Only by Go Won. In that match, Heart Attack earned the most votes ever in a match that did not go to overtime, defeating One&Only 29-3.

In Round 3, Heart Attack faced #12 Love Cherry Motion. While it was closer than the previous round, Heart Attack still won relatively easily, the final score being 19-13.

Things became more interesting in the Semifinals, where Heart Attack went up against #8 Eclipse. In the LOONA Soloist Tournament (on AKP), Heart Attack and Eclipse met in the championship match, where Eclipse narrowly won. This time, Heart Attack got out to an impressive early lead. But Eclipse slowly but surely narrowed the gap, bringing the score all the way back to within 2 votes. Unfortunately for Eclipse, there was not enough time to complete the comeback. Heart Attack won the match 16-14.

Then came the championship match against #11 new by fellow yyxy member Yves. Despite being the championship, Heart Attack was in control practically the entire time. At no point did it appear that new could take down Heart Attack. With that said, it wasn't a blowout. The score always remained close enough for me to believe that there was a small chance for Yves' solo to make a comeback. But it never did, and the final score was 19-12.

Here are the rest of the results from the previous rounds:
ROUND 1

MATCH 1

#16 Everyday I Love You - 4 votes
#17 Sweet Crazy Love - 24 votes

MATCH 2
#13 One&Only - 19 votes

#20 Sonatine - 12 votes

MATCH 3
#14 Kiss Later - 15 votes

#19 Love&Live - 10 votes

MATCH 4
#15 Let Me In - 19 votes

#18 Around You - 6 votes


ROUND 2

MATCH 1

#1 Hi High - 11 votes
#17 Sweet Crazy Love - 26 votes

MATCH 2
#8 Eclipse - 18 votes

#9 Egoist - 17 votes

MATCH 3
#5 love4eva - 14 votes
#12 Love Cherry Motion - 23 votes

MATCH 4
#4 Heart Attack - 29 votes

#13 One&Only - 3 votes

MATCH 5
#3 favOriTe - 26 votes

#14 Kiss Later - 6 votes

MATCH 6
#6 Singing In The Rain - 10 votes
#11 new - 18 votes

MATCH 7

#7 Girl Front - 13 votes
#10 ViViD - 15 votes

MATCH 8
#2 Butterfly - 24 votes

#15 Let Me In - 5 votes


ROUND 3

MATCH 1
#8 Eclipse - 22 votes

#17 Sweet Crazy Love - 8 votes

MATCH 2
#4 Heart Attack - 19 votes

#12 Love Cherry Motion - 13 votes

MATCH 3
#3 favOriTe - 9 votes
#11 new - 21 votes

MATCH 4
#2 Butterfly - 21 votes

#10 ViViD - 12 votes


ROUND 4

MATCH 1
#4 Heart Attack - 16 votes

#8 Eclipse - 14 votes

MATCH 2
#2 Butterfly - 12 votes
#11 new - 14 votes
This tournament was fun, because it was the first time I was able to revisit one of my old AKP tournaments. In that tournament, I only included the 12 solo tracks. This time however, I included 3 tracks by the full 12-member group, as well as the title tracks by each of the three subunits. I think the addition of those 8 songs made things even more fun and interesting, even if it came down to 2 solos in the end anyway.

It was also cool to see rematches from the AKP tournament. As far as I can remember, there were 4 rematches in this tournament (3 of which involved Heart Attack):

Eclipse vs Egoist
Heart Attack vs One&Only
Heart Attack vs Eclipse

Heart Attack vs new

The first two were almost identical to their AKP tournament counterparts. However, the other two were different. In the AKP tournament, the Heart Attack vs new match originally looked like it would play out in a similar way to this tournament's championship. However, new staged an epic comeback to tie the match and send it to overtime (where it would eventually lose anyway). And as stated earlier, Eclipse won its match against Heart Attack in the AKP tournament, but lost in this tournament.


BREAKDOWN BY POPULARITY

For those who don't know, I created two additional polls that related to this tournament. One asked for your three favorite LOONA members, and the other for your favorite subunit. Here are the current results:
Kim Lip (OEC) - 11 votes
Olivia Hye (yyxy) - 9 votes
Yves (yyxy) - 9 votes
Chuu (yyxy) - 8 votes
Hyunjin (1/3) - 8 votes
Jinsoul (OEC) - 6 votes
Choerry (OEC) - 5 votes
Heejin (1/3) - 5 votes
Haseul (1/3) - 4 votes
Go Won (yyxy) - 2 votes
Vivi (1/3) - 2 votes
Yeojin - 0 votes
Odd Eye Circle - 16 votes
yyxy - 7 votes
1/3 - 6 votes
Here are the matches in which two solo tracks faced one another. If the match is in RED, that means that the more popular member (according to the poll) lost. If the match is in GREEN, then the more popular member won.
#15 Let Me In (Haseul) defeated #18 Around You (Hyunjin)
#8 Eclipse (Kim Lip) defeated #9 Egoist (Olivia Hye)

#4 Heart Attack (Chuu) defeated #13 One&Only (Go Won)
#11 new (Yves) defeated #6 Singing In The Rain (Jinsoul)

#4 Heart Attack (Chuu) defeated #12 Love Cherry Motion (Choerry)
#4 Heart Attack (Chuu) defeated #8 Eclipse (Kim Lip)
#4 Heart Attack (Chuu) defeated #11 new (Yves)

So out of the 7 matches in which solo tracks faced off, the more popular member won just 4 times. Now this doesn't seem particularly interesting. But now let's look at it a different way by analyzing the performance of the top 6 most popular members, as well as the performance of the most popular unit. What we'll do is look at the change in the proportion of songs from one round to the next that were sung by any of those 6 solo members or Odd Eye Circle. To make things fair, I will exclude the three 12-member songs from the calculations. This is also going to be a bit math-heavy, so I'll put it in a spoiler.
ANALYSIS OF THE TOP 6 MOST POPULAR MEMBERS AND OEC
To make things easy, I will be referring to the top 6 soloists (Kim Lip, Yves, Olivia Hye, Chuu, Hyunjin, and Jinsoul) and OEC as "Group A". The remaining soloists, yyxy, and 1/3 will be collectively referred to as "Group B"

To start the tournament, there were 17 songs sung by soloists or subunits. Of those 17, 8 songs (47%) were by Group A, and 9 songs (53%) were by Group B.

By the beginning of Round 2, 4 of the original 17 songs had been eliminated. Three of them were by Group B, and only one (Hyunjin's solo) belonged to Group A. So our new proportions at the beginning of Round 2 are:
Group A: 7/13 (54%) [+7%]
Group B: 6/13 (46%) [-7%]

By Round 3, only 6 songs in total remained from Groups A and B. Of the songs eliminated in Round 2, 3 songs belonged to Group A (Girl Front, Jinsoul's solo, and Olivia's solo), and 4 belonged to Group B. Our new proportions at the beginning of Round 3 are:
Group A: 4/6 (67%) [+13%]
Group B: 2/6 (33%) [-13%]

And in Round 3, the final two songs from Group B were eliminated, leaving Group A alone to dominate the remainder of the tournament.

So as you can see, the proportion of Group A songs continued to increase from one round to the next, meaning that Group A performed better than Group B as the tournament progressed.


WHAT ABOUT OT12???
Now you may be thinking "that's great and all, but how did OT12 do?"
Well funny you should ask, because I'll check that out too. Redoing the calculations for each round, here's what we get:

ROUND 1
Group B: 9/20 (45%)
Group A: 8/20 (40%)
OT12: 3/20 (15%)

ROUND 2
Group A: 7/16 (43.75%) [+3.75%]
Group B: 6/16 (37.50%) [-7.5%]
OT12: 3/16 (18.75%) [+3.75%]

ROUND 3
Group A: 4/8 (50%) [+6.25%]
OT12: 2/8 (25%) [+6.25%]
Group B: 2/8 (25%) [-12.5%]

SEMIFINALS
Group A: 3/4 (75%) [+25%]
OT12: 1/4 (25%) [--]
Group B: 0/4 (0%) [-25%]

CHAMPIONSHIP
Group A: 2/2 (100%) [+25%]
OT12: 0/2 (0%) [-25%]
Group B: 0/2 (0%) [--]

Once again, you see the proportion of Group A songs increase from one round to the next. But you also see the proportion of OT12 songs increase through the first 3 rounds, then remain constant through the semifinals, where they were also eliminated. So once again, you see that Group A performed better than Group B, but you also see that OT12 (the combination of all of them) was somewhere in the middle the whole time.
Okay, so that definitely got out of hand, but I couldn't help myself. It wasn't very complicated math, but it was significantly more analysis than what I normally do in these recap threads. Anyway, I hope those of you who are interested in this kind of stuff enjoyed, and I hope I didn't scare the anti-stats people away lol.


FUTURE TOURNAMENTS
Honestly, there's no point in me saying exactly which tournament I will do next, since it will probably change like it always does (I mean, remember when this was going to be the Blackpink Tournament?) But I do have an idea of what the next 6 will be:
Twice Tournament
Survival Girl Group Tournament
Mamamoo Tournament

2014 Recap Tournament
NCT Tournament
Blackpink Tournament

The order will vary. Chances are, the next tournament will either be the 2014 Recap Tournament or the Mamamoo Tournament. After that it becomes a lot more iffy. The Survival Girl Group, Twice, and Blackpink Tournaments will all likely happen around comebacks, so it's possible that NCT may jump ahead of all three of those. However, I believe Momoland is having a comeback soon, as is IZ*ONE, so that Survival Girl Group Tournament will likely show up soon.


THANK YOU!!!
Thank you to everyone who voted in this tournament! I really appreciate it!
:pandalove::pandalove::pandalove::pandalove::pandalove::pandalove::pandalove:
I look forward to doing more of these in the future!
Tag List (Part I):
❤💞 @Joy 💞❤
@AnotherKpopTrash @baekk @Bara @bulletproof @Son Na Eun @Crackhead @deadstar @dooh @feepit @Golden_Wishes @hyunaspandahoe @Hyunjin @igloo @inverity @Ireneisbaee @JakeyWantsCakey @Jichuus @JungYoda @KurdishLuvie @KwonSoonYoung @lalaloveloona @lexusuwu @Lovely_Cornchips @Mangoey @margoto​
 

Minuteman

Another Settlement Needs Your Help
.
.
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
7,387
Reactions Received
22,724
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
DATA AND STATISTICS
MOST VOTES IN A MATCH, ONE SONG
29 votes - Heart Attack
26 votes - favOriTe
26 votes - Sweet Crazy Love
24 votes - Sweet Crazy Love
24 votes - Butterfly
23 votes - Love Cherry Motion

MOST VOTES IN A MATCH, BOTH SONGS
37 votes - Hi High vs Sweet Crazy Love
37 votes - love4eva vs Love Cherry Motion
35 votes - Eclipse vs Egoist
33 votes - Butterfly vs ViViD

BIGGEST BLOWOUT BY VOTE MARGIN
26 votes - Heart Attack def. One&Only
20 votes - favOriTe def. Kiss Later
20 votes - Sweet Crazy Love def. Everyday I Love You
19 votes - Butterfly def. Let Me In

CLOSEST MATCH
1 vote - Eclipse def. Egoist

TOTAL VOTES
83 votes - Heart Attack
65 votes - new
58 votes - Sweet Crazy Love
57 votes - Butterfly
54 votes - Eclipse
36 votes - Love Cherry Motion
35 votes - favOriTe
27 votes - ViViD
24 votes - Let Me In
22 votes - One&Only
21 votes - Kiss Later
17 votes - Egoist
14 votes - love4eva
13 votes - Girl Front
12 votes - Sonatine
11 votes - Hi High
10 votes - Love&Live
10 votes - Singing In The Rain
6 votes - Around You
4 votes - Everyday I Love You

AVERAGE VOTES PER MATCH
20.8 votes - Heart Attack
19.3 votes - Sweet Crazy Love
19.0 votes - Butterfly
18.0 votes - Eclipse
18.0 votes - Love Cherry Motion
17.5 votes - favOriTe
17.0 votes - Egoist
16.2 votes - new
14.0 votes - love4eva
13.5 votes - ViViD
13.0 votes - Girl Front
12.0 votes - Let Me In
12.0 votes - Sonatine
11.0 votes - One&Only
11.0 votes - Hi High
10.5 votes - Kiss Later
10.0 votes - Love&Live
10.0 votes - Singing In The Rain
6.0 votes - Around You
4.0 votes - Everyday I Love You
 

kuro

✰ hiatus ✰
.
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
17,115
Reactions Received
56,266
Location
spring days
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Heart Attack definitely deserves it :sj_weary:
But so did every other LOONA song because they are all bops :sanapray:
heart attack is a better bop than all of the solo songs combined
 

Minuteman

Another Settlement Needs Your Help
.
.
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
7,387
Reactions Received
22,724
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
NEW DESERVED BETTER :pepecry1::pepecry1::pepecry1::pepecry1:
Chuu would probably agree lol.

Tbh I'm still happy we got a ChuuVes matchup in the end. I was worried that it wouldn't happen after seeing the way the bracket was set up, but we got it anyway.
 

Minuteman

Another Settlement Needs Your Help
.
.
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
7,387
Reactions Received
22,724
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
:D seems closer than on akp
Yeah on akp I think Heart Attack vs new was in the semis? So I guess in that way, new was closer to winning the championship. But the final score between Heart Attack and new was much closer on akp than it was here.
 
Joined
3 March 2019
Messages
507
Reactions Received
1,807
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Yeah on akp I think Heart Attack vs new was in the semis? So I guess in that way, new was closer to winning the championship. But the final score between Heart Attack and new was much closer on akp than it was here.
oh lmaooo I thought it was the other way around.....Heart attack is always gonna win ive accepted lol.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,675
Reactions Received
13,340
Location
Idol Hell
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
#JusticeForKissLater #YeojinDeservesBetter

Anyway, I wasn’t there for the majority of the tournament but I did get here in time for the semifinals and finals, and it was definitely an interesting final battle. Heart Attack deserved to win. It’s really a good song. Also holy shit that is a lot of data.

Survival group tournament sounds fun. Momoland just had their comeback today so now is the perfect time!
 

Minuteman

Another Settlement Needs Your Help
.
.
Joined
15 November 2018
Messages
7,387
Reactions Received
22,724
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
#JusticeForKissLater #YeojinDeservesBetter

Anyway, I wasn’t there for the majority of the tournament but I did get here in time for the semifinals and finals, and it was definitely an interesting final battle. Heart Attack deserved to win. It’s really a good song. Also holy shit that is a lot of data.

Survival group tournament sounds fun. Momoland just had their comeback today so now is the perfect time!
Yeah I knew Momoland was going to have a comeback, but I didn't realize it was today! And I think IZ*ONE has one in less than 2 weeks? So I'll probably wait until theirs too, that way I'll be able to include both recent comebacks.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread