- Joined
- 13 January 2022
- Messages
- 10,564
- Reactions Received
- 2,703
- Location
- Neo City, EXO Planet
- Cards
- View Profile
- KS Coins
- 27,865
- Fandom
- EXO-L, NCTzen
- Gender
- Female
- Pronouns
- She/her
NCT is hard-carrying the financials and represent the majority of album, merch and tour sales. The Neos will be OK. It's weird to me to walk away from continuing to grow a strong established brand with more spin-offs but perhaps they think it's too hard to balance sub-units and members as the members age. Also, keep in mind, the first wave of NCT contracts is ending this year so they know full well they have to come with minis, singles, CFs, etc, or potentially lose members. They also have to keep the EXOs, who are also coming up on contract renewals, hence all the EXO minis. (I think Dream will resign but honestly not sure if all of Ilichil will stay.)
I couldn't find the total albums sold by SM this year, but NCT (sub-units and main group) sold 7.1M albums last year. No other male SM artist cracks the top 15 of highest album sales (Dream is #4 with 3 releases, 127 is #9 with 1 release), not even when only looking at male groups (there, Dream is still 4, 127 is 7, NCT is 12.)
Sales run: NCT (biggest portion), then RV, then aespa. The other groups and soloists represent a scattering of business. SM financial reports (just like the other companies) say the bulk of revenue comes from album sales (so all the kpop fans pooh-poohing album sales vs charts are just sort of talking out of their ass).
For perspective, RV and aespa are doing very well and in both the overall top 15 and gg top 15!
RV (2 releases) - 2,121,946
aespa (1 release) - 1,982,552
Both NCT Dream and NCT 127 are selling out 50k seat concerts, so again, they're not walking away from that $$.
I'm surprised to see a Chen mini so soon when the last one didn't sell well, tbh, altho it's possible EXO already re-signed and this is part of contractual obligations? (I assume that's why we're getting another Kangta mini so soon, for instance.)
I'm not convinced they can execute all this because I suspect this isn't all for the year. I'd be very surprised not to see another Winter SMTOWN album as they've been very lucrative. (It's already almost March and we only know Onew and Kai on the horizon, which aren't even on this list. I don't want another December pile-up.)
As for SuperM, I'm not sure. Again, kpop fans will say whatever but that group was successful (insomuch they sold a ton of albums, topped the Billboard charts and had a successful concert tour with a group utilizing artists already under contract..) Capitol may have been frustrated by the lack of activity? They do have to solve the Lucas question tho and that may have put a freeze on things based on that initial reaction (hostile in Korea and China, mixed internationally).
Since all the groups have representatives, I'd argue they'd just be better to drop and move forward with 6 rather than recast and have that poor member get the blowback but it's SM, where common sense is not that common.
I couldn't find the total albums sold by SM this year, but NCT (sub-units and main group) sold 7.1M albums last year. No other male SM artist cracks the top 15 of highest album sales (Dream is #4 with 3 releases, 127 is #9 with 1 release), not even when only looking at male groups (there, Dream is still 4, 127 is 7, NCT is 12.)
Sales run: NCT (biggest portion), then RV, then aespa. The other groups and soloists represent a scattering of business. SM financial reports (just like the other companies) say the bulk of revenue comes from album sales (so all the kpop fans pooh-poohing album sales vs charts are just sort of talking out of their ass).
For perspective, RV and aespa are doing very well and in both the overall top 15 and gg top 15!
RV (2 releases) - 2,121,946
aespa (1 release) - 1,982,552
Both NCT Dream and NCT 127 are selling out 50k seat concerts, so again, they're not walking away from that $$.
I'm surprised to see a Chen mini so soon when the last one didn't sell well, tbh, altho it's possible EXO already re-signed and this is part of contractual obligations? (I assume that's why we're getting another Kangta mini so soon, for instance.)
I'm not convinced they can execute all this because I suspect this isn't all for the year. I'd be very surprised not to see another Winter SMTOWN album as they've been very lucrative. (It's already almost March and we only know Onew and Kai on the horizon, which aren't even on this list. I don't want another December pile-up.)
As for SuperM, I'm not sure. Again, kpop fans will say whatever but that group was successful (insomuch they sold a ton of albums, topped the Billboard charts and had a successful concert tour with a group utilizing artists already under contract..) Capitol may have been frustrated by the lack of activity? They do have to solve the Lucas question tho and that may have put a freeze on things based on that initial reaction (hostile in Korea and China, mixed internationally).
Since all the groups have representatives, I'd argue they'd just be better to drop and move forward with 6 rather than recast and have that poor member get the blowback but it's SM, where common sense is not that common.