COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sensitive Meet the cat that divided a country (1 Viewer)

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
1590699215733.png

This is Lee. Lee has single-handedly divided a country. Tomorrow, Lee's faith will be decided by the Belgian court.
Lee was brought in Belgium illegally by a student who visited Peru.
Belgium has been rabies-free since 2001. Peru is ranked as a high risk country for rabies.
Rabies is 100% deadly for humans and animals and causes a slow and painful dead.
Even if an animal doesn't show symptoms, they can still carry it and spread it.
Bringing a pet from an animal usually means that they need to be quarantined. Lee wasn't quarantined cuz the owner felt like they didn't want to pay the costs for quarantine and smuggled the cat illegally into the country. This happened in April, in the middle of a pandemic. The FAVV (Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain) got wind of this and want the cat to be euthanized as it is a health risk. So his owner thought she was smart and shared it on social media.
Some fight for the cat and want him to live (including celebs), others don't.
They took it to court and she had to pay 5000 euros for every hour that the cat was still alive (so she had better paid the costs for quarantining and bringing the cat to the country legally). Peru doesn't want to take the cat and quarantine it. Tomorrow, the court will decide wether the illegal cat is allowed to stay or will be euthanized.

This cat is currently a huge debate.

My opinion:
I'm a huge animal lover and so is my family, but we all agree: the cat should be euthanized. You don't smuggle a cat into a country, especially during times of a pandemic. People are more sensitive about things like this right now. Also, there's a reason why there are rules. This girl literally broke the law. If this cat survives, everyone will do it.

It is very sad that this poor cat will have to be euthanized because this girl was insensitive and stubborn. Belgium has lots of cats in shelters.
An interesting point a philosopher brought up was: "if it were a rat, it would've long been euthanized".​

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
if it were a rat, it would've long been euthanized".
People are so wild over pets. They eat pork but r racist to Chinese for eating dog when pigs are smarter, smh. This is why I hate all animals equally

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
People are so wild over pets. They eat pork but r racist to Chinese for eating dog when pigs are smarter, smh. This is why I hate all animals equally
Yea
It's like being disgusted by eating insects but people in Europe ate insects till the 20th century

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Honestly I think she was really selfish and irresponsible. Not all laws are good or are there for a good reason. But this one is in place to protect other people and animals. Yet she ignored it because she didn't want to pay the extra money? I think the cat should be euthanized. It's unfortunate that the owner was so negligent and irresponsible, but this pandemic really shows how easily diseases can spread, and why we need to take steps to prevent it from occuring.

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
Honestly I think she was really selfish and irresponsible. Not all laws are good or are there for a good reason. But this one is in place to protect other people and animals. Yet she ignored it because she didn't want to pay the extra money? I think the cat should be euthanized. It's unfortunate that the owner was so negligent and irresponsible, but this pandemic really shows how easily diseases can spread, and why we need to take steps to prevent it from occuring.
Exactly. Also, if she can do it, people would start doing it as well.
Poor cat. It was better off living on the streets. It would've been alive still.
I don't think that the court will rule in her favor given the circumstances

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Removing the animal from her care, heavily fining her, and even banning her from traveling to the country would send a stronger message, spare the cat, and avoid the negative attention that the government and country will receive.

Edit: Just to be clear I think the girl is totally in the wrong and should be punished but I know killing the animal won't deter others. Truthfully, the best way to deter people is to threaten them with money, jail time, deportation, etc. People like her don't really care about the animals life or well being (otherwise she'd follow the law to make sure her pet would be safe) but they do care about themselves so the best punishment for them is to hit them directly.

Last edited:

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
Removing the animal from her care, heavily fining her, and even banning her from traveling to the country would send a stronger message, spare the cat, and avoid the negative attention that the government and country will receive.
The thing is that Peru doesn't want to take the cat back. That's why tomorrow, they have to decide its faith. They send in the paperwork and Peru refuses to take it back. The FAVV was lenient enough to research and send it back to Peru. It would've been alive if it was send back
Also, Belgium isn't really great when it comes to fining. Animal abusers have a heavy fine but they do the same thing over and over again.
(plus, she already needs to pay 5000 every hour it is still alive since May 15).

Reactions Received
KS Coins
The thing is that Peru doesn't want to take the cat back. That's why tomorrow, they have to decide its faith. They send in the paperwork and Peru refuses to take it back. The FAVV was lenient enough to research and send it back to Peru. It would've been alive if it was send back
Also, Belgium isn't really great when it comes to fining. Animal abusers have a heavy fine but they do the same thing over and over again.
(plus, she already needs to pay 5000 every hour it is still alive since May 15).
Bureaucracy and politics are frustrating like that. It sounds like an unfortunate situation all around. I feel sorry for the cat, it really had bad luck with the owner it got

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
Bureaucracy and politics are frustrating like that. It sounds like an unfortunate situation all around. I feel sorry for the cat, it really had bad luck with the owner it got
yeah it's very sad
it would've had a better life on the streets than with her because she was so careless
it's very sad

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I need to stop getting sad over stuff like this every time, and humans are selfish as always

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I guess they don't have a place to quarantee the cat in Belgium :dubuthink: Cause i think that would be the best.

Rabies is rly big problem though, since if u get infected by it you are dead man walking. There is no cure if it has already spread, only thing waiting is painful death. And what's horrible is that some dog rescues etc. fake the certificates when sending the dogs to other countries.

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
@NeoSquare what ended up happening?
Our virologist, who spoke up about the dangers of rabies and is the face of virologists due to the corona epidemic said he'll open up his lab for the cat to quarantine it.
idk if there was a hearing in court yet (they ended up postponing it) but I saw that apparently, the cat now suddenly gets to go to Peru again for the last month of quarantine it needed. idk if she needs to pay the fines still, but I hope so. Apparently someone else got away with this too years ago so basically you can smuggle animals into Belgium without repercussions

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Our virologist, who spoke up about the dangers of rabies and is the face of virologists due to the corona epidemic said he'll open up his lab for the cat to quarantine it.
idk if there was a hearing in court yet (they ended up postponing it) but I saw that apparently, the cat now suddenly gets to go to Peru again for the last month of quarantine it needed. idk if she needs to pay the fines still, but I hope so. Apparently someone else got away with this too years ago so basically you can smuggle animals into Belgium without repercussions
Well i'm glad for the cat, but smuggling an animal is definitely not ok

Belgizen

Belgi
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
NCTzen
Well i'm glad for the cat, but smuggling an animal is definitely not ok
it isn't and I hope she gets all punishment for this possible
basically this shows that if you nag enough, you can commit a crime and get away with it
she literally brought people and other animals in danger

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
it isn't and I hope she gets all punishment for this possible
basically this shows that if you nag enough, you can commit a crime and get away with it
she literally brought people and other animals in danger
Yep she did. She should be glad nothing worse happened.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
anyways, she is hated by majority of Flanders now because of her selfish actions, during a pandemic even
In some sense, she already got what she deserved..

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Heck no
She broke like so many laws and was a danger to society, that was in the middle of a pandemic
Well true, but she lost tons of the money already and her reputation :jisoosmh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread