Shows more than movies mostly, even when I was younger it was harder to watch whole series. Movies sometimes that r great when complete or MCU(marvel Avengers movies).
Mostly shows like Game of Thrones n Elementary n Bones that I (can) follow for years n get invested in the characters. (Thanx internet)
Uhm you clearly havent seen enough movies.
The second hobbit movie ending drove me crazy.
I watched the first Lord of the Rings in the cinema in my country n most of the rest of the audience (in2001) in my country had no idea/were grumbling slightly loudly, cos they were shocked there was a cliffhanger then.
I knew from the books n read theonering.net (a website) obviously there was continuation in parts two n three.
Also the audience for movies in cinemas in my country kinda sucks(I hate to deal with), so I like prefer shows that I watch at home.(movies at home aren't the same)