News MxR Plays wins case against Jukin Media (2 Viewers)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
So, I have kinda been following this story for the past few days and basically, Jukin Media I believe has been striking channels instead of claiming the videos of the footage people use in their videos.
MxR Plays are a Youtube channel who I think used some footage that Jukin Media had and Jukin Media told MxR Plays that they had to pay like $6000, or they'll get a copyright strike for each video they use that apparently has footage from Jukin Media.
Anyways, let me show you the video and you'll understand it more:



So, after this video went viral, there was public outrage and everyone was siding with MxR Plays as they were being extorted for much of their money.
There were even many fellow YouTube Creators that made videos about this case, as you can see here:






There there was even a popular lawyer involved called LegalEagle:


However, now MxR has given us an update on the situation and it looks like they have won the case:


Here are the responses:

 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I haven't heard of this before and seems like there is lot of material to go through which I won't have patience with xd But it does sound like blackmailing to common person, pay up or we copyright strike. I wonder if they could have just deleted the videos or the parts that has anything to do with Jukin media, thats what I would have done. But since they apparently won the case all is fine in the end ^^
 
  • Like
Reactions: spicy_illusion
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I haven't heard of this before and seems like there is lot of material to go through which I won't have patience with xd But it does sound like blackmailing to common person, pay up or we copyright strike. I wonder if they could have just deleted the videos or the parts that has anything to do with Jukin media, thats what I would have done. But since they apparently won the case all is fine in the end ^^
Well I believe that MxR were in the rights of fair use and I think Jukin Media were saying "Pay up or you will get strikes", so yes you are right when you said that it's blackmail.
There are also other YouTubers that they have done it to and are doing it to right now.
This story has blown up so big though, even the UK channel BBC has done some news on it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: blueberries

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well I believe that MxR were in the rights of fair use and I think Jukin Media were saying "Pay up or you will get strikes", so yes you are right when you said that it's blackmail.
There are also other YouTubers that they have done it to and are doing it to right now.
This story has blown up so big though, even the UK channel BBC has done some news on it.
If they are reaction channel though, I'm not sure if fair use applies. Everyone in youtube claims their videos are fair use, but if the reaction is not educational or criticism (movie critic level) I don't think it's actually fair use :jisoosmh: Like there is lot of reaction channels, but they also get tons of copyright strikes. The weird part for me is the asking money from the youtubers that's uncommon and I agree that its' extortion or blackmail.
 
  • Like
Reactions: spicy_illusion

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread