My uni is the absolute worst (1 Viewer)

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Part 1 of the story here

So my uni finally answered my email today (7 weeks after I first sent them the email) and they accepted my request but at the same time, everything is now a mess.

So I originally emailed them about wanting to take a subject that was a prerequisite for the post-grad course I wanted to apply for. The course is only available for a bachelor that isn't mine and although I meet all the prerequisite, they still didn't let me take it. But I emailed them, and after looking at my progress and whatever not, they let me take the subject. But at the same time, I also have to take a bunch of other subjects that apparently is compulsory to take along with the subject I applied for. All was well, but the problem is, in order to be able to take that subject, they had to clear some of the subjects I have already taken so I have space on my study plan. That was fine and I was assuming that would be what would happen anyway so I wasn't too upset about it anyway. But then as I was going through the list of subjects I want to take and the list of subjects they removed from my study plan, I saw first year biology on both lists.

They want me to repeat a subject I already took and excelled in. How does that even make sense? My final score for the subject was a 98 and the only reason I lost the 2 points was because I didn't take one of the tests because I wasn't feeling well (I was too lazy to get a medical certificate). SO THEY WANT ME TO REPEAT A SUBJECT THAT I WORKED SO HARD FOR! Like if I got a low score then I would be more than happy to repeat because I'm trying to keep my GPA high but what the hell are they doing making me repeat a subject I got so high in? And as if that isn't stupid enough, I have to pay to retake the subject as well. Like if it was free, I wouldn't be too upset but this is just so frustrating.

And the dumb thing is, I'm taking biochemistry this year and first year bio is a prerequisite for it and they're still letting me take it. Even though they're making me repeat the dumb subject.

Honestly, I'm completely fine with the fact that I'm taking some extra subjects and that all my hard work for some other subjects are being completely wiped off my transcript. I'm also fine with the fact that my bachelor is being extended again. I enjoy school and studying so I don't mind at all. But I cannot bring myself to be happy about (nor can I think about anything to be happy about) repeating a subject I excelled in and having to pay for it again too. That I do not want to do at all. I'm going to call them on Monday and hopefully it's some sort of mistake because I am not repeating it.

Seriously, my uni is on my hate list right now. They pride themselves over being one of the top uni in the world but they mess up something as simple as this. Seriously stupid.
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
And as if the fact that they replied to me last minute doesn't suck enough, school starts the week after next so I need to place myself into classes but all the classes are FULL. What the hell am I supposed to do now that there's not even any space for me? Seriously, this just gets worse and worse.
 
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
631
Reactions Received
4,054
Location
Kyungsoo's Heart Shaped Lips
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I had to give an angry react because your university is being absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable. It makes zero sense that they're forcing to retake a subject you've already taken AND passed with flying colors. Shouldn't their system consider that, too? I'm so utterly confused by all this
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I had to give an angry react because your university is being absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable. It makes zero sense that they're forcing to retake a subject you've already taken AND passed with flying colors. Shouldn't their system consider that, too? I'm so utterly confused by all this
I know! I'm hoping this is a mistake because it doesn't make sense no matter how I look at it. Not to mention, they're letting me take the subjects that have bio as a prerequisite still even though they want me to repeat it. It just doesn't make sense. I'm feeling utterly confused right now.
 
Joined
26 September 2018
Messages
631
Reactions Received
4,054
Location
Kyungsoo's Heart Shaped Lips
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I know! I'm hoping this is a mistake because it doesn't make sense no matter how I look at it. Not to mention, they're letting me take the subjects that have bio as a prerequisite still even though they want me to repeat it. It just doesn't make sense. I'm just feeling utterly confused right now.
It's like their system reads that you haven't finished taking the prerequisite subject yet they're allowing you to take a subject you're not supposed to, based on that? I hope they just made a mistake here... but the fact that you're also running out of time to enroll(or have you run out of time entirely?) makes this whole thing even worse. These big institutions can be so messy sometimes. From what I've seen, they tend to forget that their customers/students are people and not walking bank accounts.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Thats sure sounds weird.. I mean the uni system for sure is different what I have which is bit confusing, but making u take same course twice doesn't make sense. Can u just not take it, I mean they can't force u right?

In meanwhile, I still havent got reply from student coordinator xd
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
It's like their system reads that you haven't finished taking the prerequisite subject yet they're allowing you to take a subject you're not supposed to, based on that? I hope they just made a mistake here... but the fact that you're also running out of time to enroll(or have you run out of time entirely?) makes this whole thing even worse. These big institutions can be so messy sometimes. From what I've seen, they tend to forget that their customers/students are people and not walking bank accounts.
I just enrolled into all the subjects they wanted me to enroll in minus the bio that I already completed. I just need to assign myself into classes but there’s literally no room in any of them. I just finished emailing all my coordinators explaining the situation and asking them if they can personally assign me into the classes. I have no preferences so my timetable is no completely in their hands. I’m just going to check every hour or something for an available space because sometimes people drop out last minute. I just don’t think that would really work because most of the classes are overfilled (almost all labs have at least -15 spaces left). This whole situation has given me such a bad headache. I just hope it all works out.

The only good thing right now is that I actually got a place in the subject I wanted. Also, if things go well I might end up finishing my course as previously scheduled. It just completely depends on whether they make me repeat the subjects I have already completed or not.
Thats sure sounds weird.. I mean the uni system for sure is different what I have which is bit confusing, but making u take same course twice doesn't make sense. Can u just not take it, I mean they can't force u right?

In meanwhile, I still havent got reply from student coordinator xd
Is your bachelor system different or your whole uni education system different?
And the subject is a core subject meaning you actually can’t pass first year and can’t take any second/third year subjects without completing it. The fact that they’re making me repeat it but are also letting me take biochem which has the subject as a prerequisite is just weird. So I think there’s definitely some sort of mistake. I haven’t added it to my study planner and have just enrolled into the other subjects. I’m going to call them on Monday and hopefully they can give me a good reason for why this turned out this way.

And good luck! I hope they can contact you soon. Hopefully your situation isn’t as messy as mine.
This is crazy what the hell :pandamad:
I know. Uni sucks. I felt like crying earlier because I was so frustrated but after sitting down and just writing out my entire study schedule for the next two years, I feel better. Well kind of. Hopefully this entire mess can be cleared up on Monday.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Is your bachelor system different or your whole uni education system different?
And the subject is a core subject meaning you actually can’t pass first year and can’t take any second/third year subjects without completing it. The fact that they’re making me repeat it but are also letting me take biochem which has the subject as a prerequisite is just weird. So I think there’s definitely some sort of mistake. I haven’t added it to my study planner and have just enrolled into the other subjects. I’m going to call them on Monday and hopefully they can give me a good reason for why this turned out this way.
Whole uni education is different. You pretty much choose all courses yourself, there is some mandatory one's, but you will have to figure out yourself what to pick and that they are correct choices. Nobody is dictating what you will pick though I have to admit I was thrown out of one of courses I picked in my first year since it was advanced course even though I have managed to do several other advances courses on first year (maybe i shouldn't have admitted to professor i was first year student he probably wouldn't have noticed). Scoring of courses is between 1-5 instead of 0 to 100 like it seems to be with yours so that's bit different too ^^; But yea i think the idea of university being so involved picking courses and dictating them is weird for me, i'd actually prefer more hands on approach from them I have studied lot of stupid things in wrong order cause i was left on my own devices too much lol.

In other hand the lack of communication and having to wait weeks for replies is same xd
 

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
Whole uni education is different. You pretty much choose all courses yourself, there is some mandatory one's, but you will have to figure out yourself what to pick and that they are correct choices. Nobody is dictating what you will pick though I have to admit I was thrown out of one of courses I picked in my first year since it was advanced course even though I have managed to do several other advances courses on first year (maybe i shouldn't have admitted to professor i was first year student he probably wouldn't have noticed). Scoring of courses is between 1-5 instead of 0 to 100 like it seems to be with yours so that's bit different too ^^; But yea i think the idea of university being so involved picking courses and dictating them is weird for me, i'd actually prefer more hands on approach from them I have studied lot of stupid things in wrong order cause i was left on my own devices too much lol.

In other hand the lack of communication and having to wait weeks for replies is same xd
That's actually not too different to how it is here. Well it depends on the course actually. Most have one or two core subjects in the first year and the rest are electives meaning we can pick any subject we want as long as we meet the requirements for it.
I'm in biomed though so it's pretty different to a lot of other subjects. First year we don't get any electives. We have 4 subjects per semester and they're all core/compulsory subjects that we must complete in order to pass. Second and third year it's 2 core subjects and 2 electives for both semesters. I'm not very good at dealing with stress and since I wanted to keep my GPA up though, I'm only taking 3 subjects per semester and instead of completing my whole course in 3 years like most other people, I'm taking it slower and doing it in 4 years. It's still full time but it's a lot less stressful and the study load isn't as heavy. Last year I took 2 of my second year electives and that's where the problems started. They want to get rid of those two subjects and replace them with the subject I wanted to take as well as the other subjects that go with it. But for whatever reason, they're also making me retake bio which was a first year core subject that I completed and passed already.

Being terrible at communicating seems to be a worldwide problem. Sadly.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread