News NewJeans’ Danielle speaks out against K-pop training system: “It deprives us of creativity” (1 Viewer)

Selfmate

Top Poster Of Month
Joined
13 January 2023
Messages
50,468
Reactions Received
55,214
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
284,820
"I didn't have much freedom at all"

NewJeans (also known as NJZ) member Danielle has spoken out against the K-pop training system, which she says “deprives us of creativity”.

On March 15, NewJeans’ Danielle held a livestream on the band’s independent Instagram page, where the Korean-Australian singer shared her experience as a trainee under various K-pop music labels and spoke out against the system.

“Back when I was a trainee, there were times [when] deep down I knew something was wrong, but I forced myself to believe that was normal and everything that happened to me is very much normal,” she told fans.

She added that as a trainee, she “didn’t have much freedom at all”. “You had to leave a message before you were able to go to the toilet and this was even in free time. You were constantly being watched over when you were in the practice room,” she shared.

Danielle also recalled her diet being strictly controlled during her time in the system. “I remember having to take pictures of what I ate before I was actually able to consume it. I had to send pictures to our manager and she would have to check it,” she recalled.

The NewJeans member said that she still hasn’t “gotten past that mindset”, despite having already debuted almost three years ago. “I remember thinking, ‘Why would they use this kind of system, when in fact it deprives us of creativity?’,” she said.

“I’m not sure, it could be just because it’s being passed down through the industry. It also could be just because the people in control just wanted it to be easier to take control,” she added.

Completed by Hanni, Hyein, Minji and Haerin, the K-pop quintet rebranded as NJZ last month amid their legal battle with former label ADOR. They are set to headline ComplexCon Hong Kong later this month, marking their first performance since the rebrand.

According to a press release at the time of the announcement, Minji had revealed plans to release new music as part of the set. NJZ have been dropping cryptic teasers on Instagram hinting at new music in the lead-up to their ComplexCon appearance.

The first court hearing for the legal battle between both parties took place last week, where ADOR expanded the scope of its injunction in a bid to ban the five-piece from all “entertainment activities” as an independent band. ADOR first filed the injunction in January to stop them from signing independent brand deals.

Source: https://www.nme.com/news/music/newjeans-danielle-speaks-out-against-k-pop-training-system-3846726
 

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,595
Reactions Received
43,660
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,408
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
She added that as a trainee, she “didn’t have much freedom at all”. “You had to leave a message before you were able to go to the toilet and this was even in free time. You were constantly being watched over when you were in the practice room,” she shared.

Danielle also recalled her diet being strictly controlled during her time in the system. “I remember having to take pictures of what I ate before I was actually able to consume it. I had to send pictures to our manager and she would have to check it,” she recalled.
this is absolutely disgusting and inhumane. anyone involved in such treatments of those trainees deserves to rot in hell and so do people justifying this or any similar kind of abuse. like all this shit these companies subject these kids to sounds comically evil and i'm genuinely shocked that any parent would let their child be a part of this industry.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread