COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Nobody cared about Asian men till kpop (1 Viewer)

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
And I'm talking about real Asian men, not the boys in Anime shows.

All throughout history Asian men have been the black sheep of the human race. Always looked down upon as weak and inferior, always been made fun of, always chosen as the least desirable by women all across the globe.

That is until kpop. Now because they sing and dance and color their hair different colors all of a sudden people want to act like they are Gods gift to women. Knowing damn well none of yall gave that Asian boy at school a second look before kpop.

It almost didn't happen though. Psy just about erased all progress they had made up to that point when he released "Gangum Style". A craze that almost reinforced everyone perception that yes Asian men are just goofy cartoon characters like we've always thought.

Asian men are now top dog. And I'm glad. It's about time they got the respect they've always deserved. I just wish it wasn't because of something so ridiculous as singing and dancing while their hair is dyed blue.

Thoughts about kpop saving Asian men?

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I still think the racial hierarchy in most people's dating preferences is still the same tbh...

I still find a lot of people's distain for Asian men to be quite weird to be honest as if I'm being completely transparent they've always been my personal preference. My first ever crush in the first year of elementary school was a Japanese kid called Rio.

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
And I'm talking about real Asian men, not the boys in Anime shows.

All throughout history Asian men have been the black sheep of the human race. Always looked down upon as weak and inferior, always been made fun of, always chosen as the least desirable by women all across the globe.

That is until kpop. Now because they sing and dance and color their hair different colors all of a sudden people want to act like they are Gods gift to women. Knowing damn well none of yall gave that Asian boy at school a second look before kpop.

It almost didn't happen though. Psy just about erased all progress they had made up to that point when he released "Gangum Style". A craze that almost reinforced everyone perception that yes Asian men are just goofy cartoon characters like we've always thought.

Asian men are now top dog. And I'm glad. It's about time they got the respect they've always deserved. I just wish it wasn't because of something so ridiculous as singing and dancing while their hair is dyed blue.

Thoughts about kpop saving Asian men?
My dad, would disagree- just ard 50 yrs ago n even slightly more, thre was this guy:

The disrespect. Case closed. Argument over.Faulty premise leading to false conclusion.

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
My dad, would disagree- just ard 50 yrs ago n even slightly more, thre was this guy:

The disrespect. Case closed. Argument over.Faulty premise leading to false conclusion.
Theres always an exception to every rule. Bruce Lee was above ALL men.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Theres always an exception to every rule. Bruce Lee was above ALL men.
Bruce paved the way, tho-for Jackie, Andy, Jacky, Aaron and Leon as well as so many others before kpop was even a gleam in anyone's eye. It was the metrosexual Becks and his ilk who backslid from Bruce's heirs and influenced Asian males/not me to follow his new-age ways. Its still ongoing as the current Asian hottest male stars are more Becks than Bruce. So its Becks who followed, after Bruce paved the way. And Asian males just gravitated towards the most popular thing to copy, as witness your theory in OP.

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
KS Coins
Fandom
Once, Sone
Keeping it on the topic of entertainment.

This perception that exists with some has always struck me as odd.

My heros or male figures I admire in entertainment have often been Asian. Korean in particular because of my long history of watching kdramas.

With the risk of moving into stereotype.

Many Korean portrayals of monarchs or leaders , or criminal figures have appealed to me.

Many have this understated, controlled sense of masculine authority. Where it's not flash and demonstrative peacocking.

But a contained sense of power.

It's something I've always been fascinated with and flocked to for my entertainment masculine role models.

One of my favorite actors who frequently plays villains in kdramas, Kim Yeong Cheol, exhibits this often in his roles.

He just looks like a guy that would rule the entire kingdom with his sheer force of will.

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
Bruce paved the way, tho-for Jackie, Andy, Jacky, Aaron and Leon as well as so many others before kpop was even a gleam in anyone's eye. It was the metrosexual Becks and his ilk who backslid from Bruce's heirs and influenced Asian males/not me to follow his new-age ways. Its still ongoing as the current Asian hottest male stars are more Becks than Bruce. So its Becks who followed, after Bruce paved the way. And Asian males just gravitated towards the most popular thing to copy, as witness your theory in OP.
Are you familiar at all with the Shaw Brothers movies? I'm just curious cause I'm a huge fan of their martial arts films. Especially the late 60s and early 70s era. I'm fascinated by it. Love the stars of that era too.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Are you familiar at all with the Shaw Brothers movies? I'm just curious cause I'm a huge fan of their martial arts films. Especially the late 60s and early 70s era. I'm fascinated by it. Love the stars of that era too.
I've watched a few over the years, my dad may or may not have bought videotapes of some of those shows, or even vcds or dvds. But being in a foreign language to me (LOL its actually my heritage language, tho i'm pretty basic only at it-i can speak and understand but anything too deep and i have to read subtitles).

I'm more familiar with movies from the 80s and 90s cos those you're talking about here are more my dad's generation. Or my uncle (by marriage-his brother married my dad's sister), he watches a lot of those 60s/70s movies on Astro Celestial movie channel or watever its called. Since i nvr watched em before, i enjoy them when i happen to catch them showing, which isnt often. My uncle loves 'em tho. A lot of guys their age do actually. Just mostly not the younger generation, at least i think there's less.

Drew_B

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU
Keeping it on the topic of entertainment.

This perception that exists with some has always struck me as odd.

My heros or male figures I admire in entertainment have often been Asian. Korean in particular because of my long history of watching kdramas.

With the risk of moving into stereotype.

Many Korean portrayals of monarchs or leaders , or criminal figures have appealed to me.

Many have this understated, controlled sense of masculine authority. Where it's not flash and demonstrative peacocking.

But a contained sense of power.

It's something I've always been fascinated with and flocked to for my entertainment masculine role models.

One of my favorite actors who frequently plays villains in kdramas, Kim Yeong Cheol, exhibits this often in his roles.

He just looks like a guy that would rule the entire kingdom with his sheer force of will.

That guys looks vicious. I definitely won't be arguing with him.

Your post reminds me of a movie. Have you ever seen "Musa (2001)"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread