COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Official Figure Skating Thread (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
There didn't seem to be one for figure skating yet, so here i go.

Feel free to post about your favorite skaters- and tell who is your favorite to others as well as post your favorite performances here.

--

Information:

Competitive figure skating is divided to four categories:

1. Men
  2. Ladies
  3. Pairs
  4. Ice Dance

Men's and Ladies' are solo performances when Pairs and Ice Dance are done by, well, pair. Difference between pairs and ice dance is that pairs is more focused on technical stuff like throws, spins and jumps when ice dance is more focused on performance and dancing.

Figure skating is sport where performance matters (almost) as much as technique and skill. Skaters do jumps, spins, step sequences, lifts (pairs&dances) and so on to gain points for both technique and performance. Performances are executed together with music and one major part of performance is how well your skating fits to music so in this sense it's like dancing and even story-telling at times. Technique points are based on difficulty and execution of the moves.

In figure skating competition everyone has two performances, Short program (SP) which comes first and is like name states short and Free Skate (FS) is longer and has less limitations.

Grand Prix

Yearly invitational international competition that is regarded high in figure skating crowd. Grand Prix itself includes multiple events and those who score best in these events make it to Grand Prix Final. In order to participate in series you have to have required mininum technical elements score from international event.

Grand Prix dates for this year:

from wiki: 2019–20 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Wikipedia

Alongside Grand Prix there is of course other competitions big one's being European championships, U.S championships etc., World Championships, Olympics. And then smaller competitions like Finland trophy in my country.

--

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Ofc queen Yuna should start this thread

PS: great idea to open this thread :sanapray:

OnlyCalB

GG Trash
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
I usually only watch figure skating at the Winter Olympics, but Yuna Kim is someone I'll look out for as she is just so good!

Yuna on 'All That Skate';

Fancam of the performance;

bulletproof

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I also like this one very much

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
My favorite skater is Evgenia Medvedeva, russian skater who got pretty popular and won a tons when she was teenager, World championship, Grand Prix, broke world records. However she has struggled a bit lately, still really great though and I'm looking to forward her in Grand Prix this year.

This is my favorite performance from her, it's amazing skate, but also tells a story which is sth I really like. The music is from movie "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close,” which is about a kid who lost his father in the 9/11 attack so it's kinda showing that in the performance which is clever, but also makes pretty sad performance.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ofc queen Yuna should start this thread

PS: great idea to open this thread :sanapray:
I usually only watch figure skating at the Winter Olympics, but Yuna Kim is someone I'll look out for as she is just so good!

Yuna on 'All That Skate';

Fancam of the performance;

I'm sad I got into figure skating only recently so I wasn't around when Yuna Kim was competing, i feel i'm really missing out :yolk:

bulletproof

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I'm sad I got into figure skating only recently so I wasn't around when Yuna Kim was competing, i feel i'm really missing out :yolk:
I wsn't around either, I got into ice skating in late 2017 :umjicry: but good thing YT exists :sanapray:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I wsn't around either, I got into ice skating in late 2017 :umjicry: but good thing YT exists :sanapray:
That's right, tbh i'm mostly watching older finnish skaters from youtube too, there has been just good enough skaters in ages here i'd like to be bit patriotic about it too during worlds and olympics, but they are just so far :jisoosmh:

bulletproof

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That's right, tbh i'm mostly watching older finnish skaters from youtube too, there has been just good enough skaters in ages here i'd like to be bit patriotic about it too during worlds and olympics, but they are just so far :jisoosmh:
that's great tho :sanapray:
my country doesn't have many figure ice skaters :umjicry: so I stick to YT videos vreo other countries

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
that's great tho :sanapray:
my country doesn't have many figure ice skaters :umjicry: so I stick to YT videos vreo other countries
Mine used to, but right now there is pretty much two girls but they aren't in level to get in grand prix and such, and one guy who has full time job as doctor so.. he's not quite in level of top skater either..

I mostly like skaters all over the globe too, Evgenia is my favorite girl when Jason Brown from USA is my favorite guy.

Last edited:

bulletproof

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Mine used to, but right now there is pretty much two girls but they aren't in level to get in grand prix and such, and one guy who has full time job as doctor so.. he's not quite in level of top skater either..

I mostly like skaters all over the globe too, Evgenia is my favorite girl when James Brown from USA is my favorite guy.
Oof I see. I thought Nordish countries still have top ice skaters.

Evgenia is definitely talented. I will check James Brown, I don't know him :sanapray:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Oof I see. I thought Nordish countries still have top ice skaters.

Evgenia is definitely talented. I will check James Brown, I don't know him :sanapray:
Oh damn, Jason Brown sorry I mixed up the name xd

bulletproof

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Japanese pair skaters skating to Yuri on Ice OST in Olympics :pikahappy: (i saw them skate this during Grand Prix in Finland last year, i almost cried, maybe i should talk about my first "saw figure skating live" experience here at some point)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Damn, i rly have to try to find place to watch Grand Prix now, apparently the tv station that used to air them here lost their rights to some streaming service so suddenly ice skating is behind paywall and not even low one :pepecry1:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Damn, i rly have to try to find place to watch Grand Prix now, apparently the tv station that used to air them here lost their rights to some streaming service so suddenly ice skating is behind paywall and not even low one :pepecry1:
Havent still found place so i missed all the Grand prixes. Sucks. And olympics are delayed too..

Yuzuru

𝐼𝒸𝑒 𝒫𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒
Reactions Received
Website
www.wattpad.com
KS Coins
Fandom
ℱ𝒶𝓃𝓎𝓊
Pronouns
ℐ𝒸𝑒 𝒫𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒
At first, I wasn't into figure skating until I kept watching and saw amazing figure skaters to look at.

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
Reactions Received
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
YOLO
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
how have i not seen this thread yuzuru hanyu is my king

i love him lots, one of my favourite skaters to date

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
Reactions Received
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
YOLO
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread