OK HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
OK SO I AM STRUGGLING WITH A DECISION!

I AM WRITING AN UPDATE FOR A STORY
AND I WAS PLANNING ON HAVING THE SCENE I WROTE AND THEN A BUNCH OF CHAPTER BREAKS SHOWING PROGRESSION
BUT THE PART I WROTE JUST NOW IS ALREADY OVER 3K WORDS SO ITS ALREADY KIND OF LONG AND SO
WITH THE PROGRESSION IN THERE IT COULD BE HELLA LONG

SO SHOULD I JUST MAKE A HELLA LONG CHAPTER

OR

SHOULD I MAKE TWO CHAPTERS (ONE WITH THE SCENE THE OTHER WITH NOTHING BUT CHAPTER BREAKS AND PROGRESSION)

THEY BOTH HAVE PROS AND CONS
THE FIRST WILL FLOW BEST AND HELP MY STORY MOVE A LONG A BIT FASTER
BUT IT ALSO MEANS A LOT OF TIME EDITING (OR ME BECOMING LAZY AND NOT EDITING AT ALL)

THE OTHER MEANS I AM MORE LIKELY TO EDIT BUT IT DRAGS THE STORY ON A BIT MORE AND WON'T FLOW AS WELL.​
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I feel like flow is way more important to a story instead of making it feel a little draggy. :pandalove:
oof that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure
 

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
.
.
Joined
4 September 2018
Messages
4,702
Reactions Received
16,711
Location
Old Folk's Home
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
5,552
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Maybe don't edit it all at once but in sections at a time if that will make it feel less daunting?
That might be a good decision too-I may not commit though because I suck ass XD
 
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,041
Reactions Received
4,458
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I feel like flow is way more important to a story instead of making it feel a little draggy. :pandalove:
Agreed. I think the most important lesson I ever learned with writing was to not fall in love with the way I've written something to the point that I'm unwilling to change it for the sake of clarity, brevity, or some other means of providing a better experience to the reader.
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
People don't mind long chapters actually unless it goes like beyond 10K or something, so better to keep up the flow I'd say. I've seen reviews for chapters averaging 2K words where people wanted it to be longer.
 
Joined
7 October 2018
Messages
146
Reactions Received
629
Location
my laptop
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Agreed. I think the most important lesson I ever learned with writing was to not fall in love with the way I've written something to the point that I'm unwilling to change it for the sake of clarity, brevity, or some other means of providing a better experience to the reader.
People don't mind long chapters actually unless it goes like beyond 10K or something, so better to keep up the flow I'd say. I've seen reviews for chapters averaging 2K words where people wanted it to be longer.
As a Writer In-Training [or a WIT XD] I think those are the best kinds of advice anyone writing in progress could hear.
 

Discipline

Together, Just be joyful tonight.
.
Joined
29 October 2018
Messages
1,467
Reactions Received
6,252
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ship
As someone who is studying literature and has to read quite a few books, proses and poetry:

There’s nothing worse than having to read something that drags on to the point that you forget what the main point of that chapter was. As long as you stick to the plot, the reader will stay invested.

So I’d also recommend going with the first option
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread