COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Okay, What the F*CK is this?!? (1 Viewer)

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Ignore the caption.
Literally wtf is JYP doing and why? :hayshook:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Since it's rather old video, blackface has only become known concept recently outside of USA. Well it's still not that known, it's sth you can still see in the tv as well as people dressed as some other racial stereotypes. Two years back major Finnish company had to apologize for including blackface in advertisement based on Finnish Christmas fairy tale. Regardless the apology, the Christmas act is still being done with blackface as it's traditionally done..

So anyways i'd guess JYP had no idea this would be seen as blackface and sth racist and bad. I think kpop companies are getting more and more aware of these things anyways, as is rest of the world. I don't personally think there is point to dig old vids and pics of people doing blackface and calling it out ^^;

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Since it's rather old video, blackface has only become known concept recently outside of USA. Well it's still not that known, it's sth you can still see in the tv as well as people dressed as some other racial stereotypes. Two years back major Finnish company had to apologize for including blackface in advertisement based on Finnish Christmas fairy tale. Regardless the apology, the Christmas act is still being done with blackface as it's traditionally done..

So anyways i'd guess JYP had no idea this would be seen as blackface and sth racist and bad. I think kpop companies are getting more and more aware of these things anyways, as is rest of the world. I don't personally think there is point to dig old vids and pics of people doing blackface and calling it out ^^;
Id heard of blackface being viewed as a form of appreciation is Asia but I guess I just didn't believe it...
As usual, JYP is weird af :nekosweat:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Who told him that it was a good idea ? Or why did he think that it was a good one ?
I am shocked but I can’t really blame him since I come from a Western country and yet in 2019 so many people don’t know what a Blackface is.
There is still a long road to go to eradicate that.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
JYP being his weird self I guess :jisoosmh:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Id heard of blackface being viewed as a form of appreciation is Asia but I guess I just didn't believe it...
As usual, JYP is weird af :nekosweat:
Well although it's not recognized as blackface it can be still used to make fun of black people and be ignorant, so i don't think it's good thing, but i don't think many did know there wasn't sth wrong with that either. So usually i don't really get angry over it since chances is they had no idea.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
It's awkward to know how to judge these situations as while this is definitely wrong to do, with how many incidents there are it seems to be that Korea is not educated on black history in the US at all and even recently it has happened on Television like when Apink went on SNL Korea and did a skit which Bomi did blackface in.

All that can really be done is trying to educate the people who do do it so that maybe they can educate someone who doesn't know and eventually Korea knows about it and understands why it is offensive so incidents like this stop being done but that's going to be a long road that will not just happen overnight.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I also managed to find the exact performance since there was conflicting dates on it on Twitter

Reactions Received
KS Coins
meh very old this is nearly as old as me
but sorry the whole world has changed since this was realised
its not like oh korea is behind thing.. in the 90s every country has aspects of racism
this is really digging deep

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread