News One Piece to get Hollywood live-action Netflix adaption (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Source: Netflix to Stream One Piece Live-Action Series

First season is going to have 10 episodes and creator of One Piece Eiichiro Oda will act as executive producer of the series.

However unlike with many live-adaption of anime, the series won't be made in Japan and instead it will be Hollywood production. Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wold) will be producer and Matt Owens (Luke Cage, Agens of S.H.I.E.L.D) will serve as shows writer.

Producer Adelstein has mentioned that the tv-series will start from East Blue Arc (first part of the manga, where Luffy gathers his crew) and continue from there and that the series will stay true to One Piece.



--

Tbh, I'm really mixed about this. Many live-adaptions of anime- especially Hollywood adaptions are horrible. Dragon Ball and Death Note for example. I can't really imagine how One Piece would look as live action either, like the fights and powers are just crazy and wacky. In other hand Oda is overseeing the project..
 
Joined
22 April 2019
Messages
1,118
Reactions Received
2,529
Location
ᶦᵗˢ ᵃ ˢᵉᶜʳᵉᵗ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Why? Who ask for this?
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Why? Who ask for this?
Literally nobody :lisalaugh:

I'm just anticipating them to reveal cast and story stuff so I can either laugh how bad it is or be pleasantly surprised.. let's just say my expectations aren't that high :lazypotato:

Like.. how do you even cast people to play these characters..
 

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,063
Reactions Received
52,514
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,093
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
It's gonna be a flop. Even if the creator is overseeing the project.
Too many hollywood adaptions either get censored or aren't true to the original.
Like @blueberries I do not have high hopes for this at all.

I only liked one piece for like 7 eps or something.
then I did my studies ,lol (when I was a child)

It really needs to end tbh. it's going on far too long.
 

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
3,762
Reactions Received
13,488
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Bana
Gender
Male
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck
Oh dear,,, my expectations shall be set very low. There are basically no live-action anime adaptations that are that good (minus a few exceptions, kinda), and the fact that it will be a Hollywood production just sets the bar even lower. I guess I just hope it won't be as bad as the Death Note Hollywood live-action. :irenecrazy:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Oh dear,,, my expectations shall be set very low. There are basically no live-action anime adaptations that are that good (minus a few exceptions, kinda), and the fact that it will be a Hollywood production just sets the bar even lower. I guess I just hope it won't be as bad as the Death Note Hollywood live-action. :irenecrazy:
There is couple I have seen that are just fine. GTO or Bartender were best adaptions, but they don't have any supernatural or fantasy elements and have stories that are really easy to adapt. They were also made in Japan so there wasn't any translation problems.

I'm bit afraid too cause Death Note is lot easier to adapt than one Piece. It has supernatural elements, but not that many. But somehow they ended up missing the mark at what the whole series was- this detective story that is continuous cat and mouse game between two people who are superintelligent. It also questions morality of the viewer. I guess they didn't want to make exact copy of the story and wanted to do sth different, but it ended up being just silly and edgy teenager movie.

Doesnt' say good for One Piece adaption. I really hope the story part is alright at least, with Oda being there.



This was one of the best though
I haven't still seen it. I like the manga of Kingdom though so maybe I will check it out while waiting more chapters ^^
 
  • Like
Reactions: potato and gongchan

Sourcekeeper

Tech Support
.
.
.
Joined
25 August 2018
Messages
6,830
Reactions Received
28,465
Location
YG Entertainment
Website
kpopsource.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
26,616
Fandom
MONSTIEZ
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She / Her / Hers
There is couple I have seen that are just fine. GTO or Bartender were best adaptions, but they don't have any supernatural or fantasy elements and have stories that are really easy to adapt. They were also made in Japan so there wasn't any translation problems.

I'm bit afraid too cause Death Note is lot easier to adapt than one Piece. It has supernatural elements, but not that many. But somehow they ended up missing the mark at what the whole series was- this detective story that is continuous cat and mouse game between two people who are superintelligent. It also questions morality of the viewer. I guess they didn't want to make exact copy of the story and wanted to do sth different, but it ended up being just silly and edgy teenager movie.

Doesnt' say good for One Piece adaption. I really hope the story part is alright at least, with Oda being there.



I haven't still seen it. I like the manga of Kingdom though so maybe I will check it out while waiting more chapters ^^
I watched it here Kingdom (2019)
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Ora has mentioned this since 2017 thou so I’m sure he planned it well

what I am worried about is who are the actors and actresses gonna play the characters, and if the show will be in Japanese or English. Cause if they use non Asian actors to play the main characters I am gonna be pissed
Although I am okay for certain characters hmm ex smoker (kinda lol) or buggy and maybe just maybe Sanji but

also since it will be 10 eps and cover East blue arc the last episode will probably be when they ride the stream to enter the grand line. Which means they won’t have to worry about chopper yet
Although I am curious about Arlong and the fisherman design and cgi , it might be similar to pirates of the Caribbean?

I have so many thoughts rn I can’t
But
Everyone said detective pikachu would flop (heck they even said Aladdin would too)
But both did really well in terms of cgi
So I guess we have to wait and see
Probably English since I think it will be made in US. Not sure completely, but it might be harder for writer and producer to work with all japanese cast? I mean you would need to translate the writers work to beginning with, if it was japanese it would make more sense to just have japanese writer and producer right.

Well, One Piece characters aren't necessary asian? I mean when Oda was asked what would be nationalities of Strawhats he said that only Zoro was Japanese (and Asian). Luffy was Brazilian in that btw ^^; Though I'm sure that Hollywood and Netflix would want to race swap characters anyways they do it with shows all the time so idk what kind of cast they are thinking.

That makes sense. They will probably need to still speed things a lot like I think Nami's or Usopps backstories alone could be 10 episodes (depending on lenght). It's good place to start as well, although the crew isn't all together and it's just introduction.. some of best and most touching moments are there.
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
Oh my god why... and how in the hell do you even adapt something like One Piece... I can already tell it's gonna be terrible. It'll probably try and fit 300 episodes worth of story into 10 eps then be like "Oh the fans expect too much", get cancelled immediately and then be like "Oh, wow, what a surprise, wasn't expecting that shit show"...

I can already see the terrible CGI they are gonna do for his arm stretching. Why do they not understand, similarly to video games into movies. IT DOES NOT WORK, EVER, UNLESS IT'S ANIMATED. NEVERRRRR. Or if it does, it's never better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: blueberries

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Oh my god why... and how in the hell do you even adapt something like One Piece... I can already tell it's gonna be terrible. It'll probably try and fit 300 episodes worth of story into 10 eps then be like "Oh the fans expect too much", get cancelled immediately and then be like "Oh, wow, what a surprise, wasn't expecting that shit show"...

I can already see the terrible CGI they are gonna do for his arm stretching. Why do they not understand, similarly to video games into movies. IT DOES NOT WORK, EVER, UNLESS IT'S ANIMATED. NEVERRRRR. Or if it does, it's never better.
They could have tried something more realistic first... One Piece is probably one of hardest animes to make live-action out of, cause everything is exaggerated and wacky from characters to fights to backgrounds to animals. Nothing is normal in One Piece when u think about it. Ofc, there is some shows that make crazy things look good, but even them have actually normal humans in them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread