Groups I've never heard of have been "paving the way" for decades.
I think it's safe to say that most groups have introduced new fans with some having been more successful at it than others, no doubt Katseye have introduced new fans as well but to say they've paved the way for anything is hyperbole at it's finest. I've seen many people debate whether they're even K-Pop (I don't listen to them myself).
"Paving the way" is a spectrum where there's always another group who laid the foundation for what the current ones have managed to accomplish stretching all the way back to before K-Pop and what inspired it, so who do you credit for paving the way? I do believe there's groups that deserve credit for taking huge strides that shook the industry but Katseye isn't one of them.
Half the terminology we use today has lost it's meaning due to misuse.