Reality Produce X 101 contract to be 5 years long (1 Viewer)

Peach

Always there for Daniel
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,356
Reactions Received
5,025
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
“Produce_X101,” the fourth season of Mnet’s popular “Produce 101” series, is preparing a project group with an unprecedented contract length.

On February 27, reports emerged that “Produce_X101” recently settled on a contract of five years for their debut group. Mnet confirmed the news and explained, “Members will be asked to focus all of their attention on the group for the first two and a half years, with the remaining two and a half years allowing them to pursue both individual and group activities freely.”

This is the longest contract for a “Produce 101” project group, as season one’s I.O.I was active for one year, season two’s Wanna One was active for one and a half years, and season three’s IZ*ONE’s contract has been the longest at two and a half years. “Produce_X101” is doubling that length at a total of five years.

When considering the fact that most agencies will sign seven-year contracts with idols they debut under their label, the contract length is quite long and may have an impact on how people vote in the upcoming show.

“Produce_X101” is set to begin airing in the first half of the year, and the participants will begin living in dorms and start filming next month.

cr. ​
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Hopefully we won't get another Produce group till like idk 1 or 2 years or we're just gonna have Produce groups take over pretty much everywhere lol

“Members will be asked to focus all of their attention on the group for the first two and a half years, with the remaining two and a half years allowing them to pursue both individual and group activities freely.”
I guess that's the best we're gonna get altho, if for example any of the Victon members make it i'd lowkey hate seeing them not participate with Victon for two and a half years
 

Peach

Always there for Daniel
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,356
Reactions Received
5,025
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Hopefully we won't get another Produce group till like idk 1 or 2 years or we're just gonna have Produce groups take over pretty much everywhere lol


I guess that's the best we're gonna get altho, if for example any of the Victon members make it i'd lowkey hate seeing them not participate with Victon for two and a half years
W1 couldn't even finish promoting before IZ*ONE debuted which I thought should have happened this year instead. But you're probably right, they'll keep milking this and I know I'll watch this season, but I guess we can expect another girl season 2021 at least.

That's true.. Victon's company barely promotes them though and I doubt all 3 members would make it into final line-up, I mean none might. o:

Mnet out there slowly making quasi permanent groups out of produce 👀
Because it works, they know there'll be dedicated fans who will throw money at them. With the amount of things W1 put out, I always thought you'd have to be really rich. Something I can't relate to. :yolk:
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I really don't see why you wouldn't just do the full 7 if your gonna go as long as 5 years especially when the contract won't be exclusive... although I guess this means that there's not gonna be a huge influx of new boy groups coming from the final group. If there gonna be doing promotions with the winning group, branching off and then coming back, I don't see many companies building a group around a member that isn't gonna be there half of the time...

This could be a good opportunity for guys who want to act though, spend 2.5 years in a group full time and then film a couple of dramas or a movies in between your group promotions once your free to do solo activity.
 

Peach

Always there for Daniel
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
1,356
Reactions Received
5,025
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I really don't see why you wouldn't just do the full 7 if your gonna go as long as 5 years especially when the contract won't be exclusive... although I guess this means that there's not gonna be a huge influx of new boy groups coming from the final group. If there gonna be doing promotions with the winning group, branching off and then coming back, I don't see many companies building a group around a member that isn't gonna be there half of the time...

This could be a good opportunity for guys who want to act though, spend 2.5 years in a group full time and then film a couple of dramas or a movies in between your group promotions once your free to do solo activity.
That 7 years was just a rumour. I don't know where it came from. Another rumour is that this group will be co-managed by BigHit. I don't know how believable that is as well. And speaking of the influx, you can already see how most W1 members are going solo route, instead of group, because it guarantees a bigger success than being in a group. Most of the fans don't want to support their favourite in a group that won't do well nor if they don't care for other members. Sad but true.

:maheart:
The only excuse why IOI wasn't a permanent group was due to different agencies and now we have a group that will actively promote for 5 years. Okay.
But W1 wasn't permanent either, neither is IZ*ONE and nor will be this group. I doubt these groups would appeal as much to the public if they didn't have a limited time to be together. It makes you spend more if you know the end is near and like the article said, only 2.5 years of it will be active as a full group, which is nothing in K-pop, since most groups last way longer than that. IOI was an experiment to see whether this kind of concept would work or not.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Administrator2
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
That 7 years was just a rumour. I don't know where it came from. Another rumour is that this group will be co-managed by BigHit. I don't know how believable that is as well. And speaking of the influx, you can already see how most W1 members are going solo route, instead of group, because it guarantees a bigger success than being in a group. Most of the fans don't want to support their favourite in a group that won't do well nor if they don't care for other members. Sad but true.

:maheart:

But W1 wasn't permanent either, neither is IZ*ONE and nor will be this group. I doubt these groups would appeal as much to the public if they didn't have a limited time to be together. It makes you spend more if you know the end is near and like the article said, only 2.5 years of it will be active as a full group, which is nothing in K-pop, since most groups last way longer than that. IOI was an experiment to see whether this kind of concept would work or not.
I guess you do have a point there. Kpop is after all about money.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Peach

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
The only excuse why IOI wasn't a permanent group was due to different agencies and now we have a group that will actively promote for 5 years. Okay.
Well no group is ever really 'permanent' anyway most groups don't usually renew their contracts at the end of their initial 7 year contract, the only thing that separates Produce groups from any other group is that their contracts are shorter than the usual industry standard.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Administrator2
Joined
26 August 2018
Messages
0
Reactions Received
31,963
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well no group is ever really 'permanent' anyway most groups don't usually renew their contracts at the end of their initial 7 year contract, the only thing that separates Produce groups from any other group is that their contracts are shorter than the usual industry standard.
This is also true. 7 years is basically an average lifespan of a group, but saying that the group will promote for 1 or 2 years only "because of agency schedule difficulties" is bs. If needed, the agency that manages the group would be solely in charge, and it could work for 7 years as well. I guess next group will get 7 years, then.
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
This is also true. 7 years is basically an average lifespan of a group, but saying that the group will promote for 1 or 2 years only "because of agency schedule difficulties" is bs. If needed, the agency that manages the group would be solely in charge, and it could work for 7 years as well. I guess next group will get 7 years, then.
TBH I don't think we'll get a full 7 year contract unless they do a season with all independent trainees. I feel like the only reason it's 5 years this season is because the agencies want at least a couple years at the end of their artists' contracts where they don't have to split their money with Mnet. Overall, the artists are the ones who are getting shafted in the long run because the way the money is split for these groups is awful!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Administrator2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread