[Remake 1/?] End of Girl Power? (1 Viewer)

Is there girl power anthems around anymore?

  • Yes

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Idc

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    2

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I have been thinking of posting some of my older threads here as well and kinda see what kind of discussion they would bring (if they bring any) and also if things have changed like with this one.

I got proven somewhat wrong back then, even if some agreed too- there were some groups still making the types of songs I was going for mainly Mamamoo although without seeing lyrics it wasn't that obvious, and the girl power anthems had changed a bit. But what about you, do you think situation is like this (how the op states) anymore, or do you think it was even in 2017 like that? What groups do you think are forerunners of girl power these days?

Original post date: Sep 12, 2017

--

Is it just me, or has there been lack of girl power (or feminist if you will) songs in kpop at late? Concepts and lyrics that are telling lousy boyfriends to fuck off, rejoicing independence and self-worth of women?







I feel like it's end of era since many girl groups that did those concepts aren't around anymore (or have moved to more popular concepts) and new girl groups aren't interested continuing these concepts either.

Nowadays it just seems to be that Oppa-songs and -concepts have taken over the kpop girl groups, and I find it quite sad, I miss female power anthems that kpop used to have.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,322
Reactions Received
76,679
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,995
Ship
Wreck
While I think there is a lacking of popular girl power themed songs now with the last one I can think of being Yes I Am, I do still think Mamamoo help keep girl power alive as a whole even if it isn't a main focus for their songs.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,675
Reactions Received
13,340
Location
Idol Hell
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Well I think this one counts a girl power song? It's basically CLC telling guys that they won't wear makeup or clothes or act a certain way (aegyo or sexy, etc.) because they want them to or to impress guys, but that they will be be true to who they are do what they want to. If that includes wearing red lipstick etc. that's fine, but they'll do it because they want to and it makes them happy, not for anyone else.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I agree with you, there haven’t been many girl power/feminist songs recently, mostly just girl crush/mature concepts.
Yes, I don't think girl crush or mature automatically translates to girl power or feminism. For example Blackpink's Boombayah is pretty much about bragging and partying instead of having msgs about girl power.

While I think there is a lacking of popular girl power themed songs now with the last one I can think of being Yes I Am, I do still think Mamamoo help keep girl power alive as a whole even if it isn't a main focus for their songs.
I think that's probably it, girl power becoming less popular as topic of songs and mv's, still appearing time to time as concept for girl groups to pick, but simply not being the topic of the most popular songs and groups anymore. And maybe artists and groups are being less obvious about it as well, 2NE1's I Don't Care and Miss A's Good girl bad girl were all about feminism from lyrics to mv, but nowadays artists might be less obvious about it, especially if you don't happen to check out lyrics. Or that's my theory on it currently xd
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well I think this one counts a girl power song? It's basically CLC telling guys that they won't wear makeup or clothes or act a certain way (aegyo or sexy, etc.) because they want them to or to impress guys, but that they will be be true to who they are do what they want to. If that includes wearing red lipstick etc. that's fine, but they'll do it because they want to and it makes them happy, not for anyone else.
I also think that Butterfly can apply as a girl power song as well. I think it's such a powerful song.
Thanks! I will be listening these :d and it's lovely to see girls still got it
 
  • Like
Reactions: wayvoutsold

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread