Sakura.... (1 Viewer)

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship



considering her image, I can see where she’s coming from, but I don’t think this sentiment applies well to all idols

it depends entirely on what the fans are chill with imo: some are able to get away with a lot more since they’re not as much if a traditional idol and so their fans are more lax

I also disagree with the fans using the argument that she grew up with the system, and that we should feel bad for her because of it, because well.. critical thinking. I think we all know how to be critical of the systems we are in, and that argument is an insult to her intellect

kpop fans bringing miichan into it is also funny because as someone who doesn’t care about akb48, even I know that she was just being dramatic and that western media just reported it as a common occurrence when it’s not

also, this

 
Last edited:

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,333
Reactions Received
76,681
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,045
Ship
Wreck
Not everyone is good with critical thinking of things especially with systems that have been in place for a long time as it usually ends up getting a pass from the age old excuse "that's how it's always been" and idols not being able to date has become part of that system so idols are taught that they have to sneak around when it comes to anything dating related and try to avoid being caught.

It isn't right for Sakura to have that opinion but it's also much easier for us to be able to criticise it as an outsider because we don't have to live with it and especially in countries like Korea and Japan where respect is a big thing and criticism tends to not go over well because it can be seen as being disrespectful.
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
Not everyone is good with critical thinking of things especially with systems that have been in place for a long time as it usually ends up getting a pass from the age old excuse "that's how it's always been" and idols not being able to date has become part of that system so idols are taught that they have to sneak around when it comes to anything dating related and try to avoid being caught.

It isn't right for Sakura to have that opinion but it's also much easier for us to be able to criticise it as an outsider because we don't have to live with it and especially in countries like Korea and Japan where respect is a big thing and criticism tends to not go over well because it can be seen as being disrespectful.
actually, I’d agree with her if she was speaking strictly about herself
she’s basically your standard idol, so she has less leeway than say, fangqi who gained a ton to her fans for causing drama and inner group conflict
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,333
Reactions Received
76,681
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,045
Ship
Wreck
actually, I’d agree with her if she was speaking strictly about herself
she’s basically your standard idol, so she has less leeway than say, fangqi who gained a ton to her fans for causing drama and inner group conflict
She would be in a way though as she'd be pulling from her experience as an idol which would end up being most idols experience but like with every standard thing you're going to have exceptions that can get away with more like Big Bang pre Burning Sun and they were always known to be an exception and not the rule
 

eclipsoul

that one friend that's too woke
.
.
Joined
14 October 2019
Messages
25,603
Reactions Received
43,662
Location
too embarassed to show that country here
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
40,477
Fandom
Orbit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
this mindset is harmful to say the least, but rather than blaming sakura as an individual for stating these things i think it just shows how truly f*cked up the whole idol culture is. i don't really feel bad for her, but at the same time she's definitely not the first nor the last to think like this.
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
She would be in a way though as she'd be pulling from her experience as an idol which would end up being most idols experience but like with every standard thing you're going to have exceptions that can get away with more like Big Bang pre Burning Sun and they were always known to be an exception and not the rule
yeah I meant more image-wise she's more of the "standard idol": relatively clean of scandals with a less bold personality
there's a breaking point for scandals for all fans really, it's just that the bar is way higher for those who maintain a similar image as her
some do manage to switch around though
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
this mindset is harmful to say the least, but rather than blaming sakura as an individual for stating these things i think it just shows how truly f*cked up the whole idol culture is. i don't really feel bad for her, but at the same time she's definitely not the first nor the last to think like this.
she's a career woman, I can respect her for that
I'm honestly more annoyed with the fan/anti reaction than her words
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,333
Reactions Received
76,681
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,045
Ship
Wreck
yeah I meant more image-wise she's more of the "standard idol": relatively clean of scandals with a less bold personality
there's a breaking point for scandals for all fans really, it's just that the bar is way higher for those who maintain a similar image as her
some do manage to switch around though
You'd hope there's a breaking point for all fans but then you remember how Seungri still has fans :joshmeh:
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
You'd hope there's a breaking point for all fans but then you remember how Seungri still has fans :joshmeh:
I've seen some posts and just... how
double standards play a role in it, let's be real
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,333
Reactions Received
76,681
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,045
Ship
Wreck
I've seen some posts and just... how
double standards play a role in it, let's be real
For the volume of fans he still has sure but we saw with Reveluvs when the Irene scandal happened how over the top the fandom went to defend Irene for something that wasn't a huge deal so I can only imagine what'd happen if any of Red Velvet got into a real scandal
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
For the volume of fans he still has sure but we saw with Reveluvs when the Irene scandal happened how over the top the fandom went to defend Irene for something that wasn't a huge deal so I can only imagine what'd happen if any of Red Velvet got into a real scandal
there's a fine line to walk that some lose
irene would've been dropped so hard; I think her looks would put her at a disadvantage if she got into something really really bad because of incels
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,333
Reactions Received
76,681
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
189,045
Ship
Wreck
there's a fine line to walk that some lose
irene would've been dropped so hard; I think her looks would put her at a disadvantage if she got into something really really bad because of incels
Well the response to Irenes controversy might be more down to their female fanbase since that'd have potential for overlap with some of the boy group fanbases and Onces haven't really had a response that crazy that is coming to my mind although from what i've seen of crazy male fans tend to just be more into trying to kidnap their bias like Nayeons stalker and that man who grabbed Taeyeon on stage
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that she should be able to critically think against the system she is in. She was around 12/13 when she joined AKB48 and has been in it for a long time and its plausible that managers and other figures within the system have been telling her and pushing her to do and believe certain things. So that's around 9-10 years of indoctrination so her perception of things is probably pretty warped and why i'm hesitant to fully criticize her on this.

Like I completely disagree with her on it and hate this about idol culture but I can see where if I was in her position and being told by people around me dating is bad for idols and then seeing the consequences others have had I'd probably be against it as well.
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
It's not her fault in any case. As eclipse said... it's literally what the entire industry and others have coerced her into thinking. She's become so faithful to fans that she just believes it's her duty to do such a thing despite it obviously not being the case...
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I mean I don't agree, but I can see where she's coming from. The mindset that idols belong to their fans is so ingrained in the minds of these performers, it might feel like a betrayal of that unspoken contract to someone like Sakura when someone gets married.
Also many people think it harms the other members and group as well, so the responsible thing would be to announce it in advance, although I don't think graduating/retiring is necessary but I guess that's the way idols and fans have been conditioned so that's where her reasoning stems from.

That being said, it's not something I personally agree with since the more we stick to this approach, the more we normalize idols not marrying/dating while active, which isn't good in the long run.
 

mysteric

hysteric
.
Joined
26 February 2019
Messages
14,364
Reactions Received
27,575
Location
the moon
Website
newjeans.carrd.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
8,993
Fandom
MeU & MY
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she ✧ her
Ship
I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that she should be able to critically think against the system she is in. She was around 12/13 when she joined AKB48 and has been in it for a long time and its plausible that managers and other figures within the system have been telling her and pushing her to do and believe certain things. So that's around 9-10 years of indoctrination so her perception of things is probably pretty warped and why i'm hesitant to fully criticize her on this.

Like I completely disagree with her on it and hate this about idol culture but I can see where if I was in her position and being told by people around me dating is bad for idols and then seeing the consequences others have had I'd probably be against it as well.
I would agree if she was any less successful, but she is wildly successful by 48g standards, something that can't really be gained without being hella smart. I actually don't disagree with her on this, because well, her fanbase. Being a career woman iirc is what gained her a lot of fans, it would make total sense for her to think and act this way to maintain her current image. Honestly, for all the intl backlash she got for this, that was a smart move: it's basically telling her fans to not worry about this happening to her. That being said, I have doubts that she's never disagreed about the things the industry runs. Idols know what their fans want and don't want, and those who do well are ultra aware about it: they might disagree or not want to do certain things, but still carry through to further their career. Sakura obviously has her shit together, so I highly doubt that she's not smart enough to see the faults in the system, even if she spent a significant period of time in it.

ik some idols who start young do get messed up by it (like that johnny junior who didn't know if minors sleeping with management to get debut priority was sa or not bcuz they consented), but if an idol can gain so much success, I think they're smart enough to have some doubts


td;lr I think Sakura is hella smart as an idol, and the sentiment that she isn't able to criticize the 48g system is what annoyed me most about this whole debacle
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I think the word idol is different in Korea than it is in Japan.

in Korea, the line between singer/dancer and "idol" is blurred tbh.

in japan, an idol is not necessarily a singer, a dancer, they're more of a personality or a performer of sorts.

so tbh I can see what sakura is saying even if I don't agree with it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread