Since Kpop BG's are more popular than Kpop GG's, what about Jpop GG's being more popular than Jpop BG's? (1 Viewer)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
Since there is no combining section for Korea and Japan for this type of thread, I'm posting this in the Korea section.

We all know that BG's are more popular in Korea, however, it seems like GG's are more popular in Japan and although the Japanese culture is different to the Korean culture as in dancing, performing, singing, etc, Jpop GG's have also moved onto the rock/metal scene.

Do you think it's groups like the 48 Groups that started of the popularity in Japan for GG's? Because even before AKB48, there were groups like Morning Musume who I believe are also still around now.

Also, while there are more female fans who like Kpop BG's, there doesn't seem to be as many female fans who are into Jpop BG's, although I would say they are still more into Jpop GG's.

There are however the popular Jpop BG's like arashi and Exile Tribe, SMAP, etc.

Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I think that it depends on idol fandom culture. Fangirls are really common in Korea, when lot of boys listen ggs and like them, but aren't maybe as deep in fandoms. In Korea I'd say it's bit similar as situation with lot of pop stars, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brother, Backstreet boys etc., lot of teenager girls, ur stereotypical fangirls. Ofc korean kpop fandom is not entirely similar as western pop fandoms, but I think there is similarities and the appeal is somewhat same.

In other hand with AKB48 jpop started targeting men who are otakus and usually into anime and stuff? This is at least my impression. Kpop has taken influence from jpop as well, you still see similar cute groups too.

I personally think the metal and rock influences in jpop groups come from visual kei which used to be huge genre in Japan. Maybe this is what it mellowed down to.

Maybe kpop is mash up between western and japanese influences when japan just does it's own thing without taking as much influence elsewhere?
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I think that it depends on idol fandom culture. Fangirls are really common in Korea, when lot of boys listen ggs and like them, but aren't maybe as deep in fandoms. In Korea I'd say it's bit similar as situation with lot of pop stars, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brother, Backstreet boys etc., lot of teenager girls, ur stereotypical fangirls. Ofc korean kpop fandom is not entirely similar as western pop fandoms, but I think there is similarities and the appeal is somewhat same.

In other hand with AKB48 jpop started targeting men who are otakus and usually into anime and stuff? This is at least my impression. Kpop has taken influence from jpop as well, you still see similar cute groups too.

I personally think the metal and rock influences in jpop groups come from visual kei which used to be huge genre in Japan. Maybe this is what it mellowed down to.

Maybe kpop is mash up between western and japanese influences when japan just does it's own thing without taking as much influence elsewhere?
That is true. We can also argue that without fangirls, AKB48 wouldn't have been as popular as they are or at least were. AKB48 were originally a group aimed at a male audience but then their female audience also grew.
When I went to Japan in 2013 and 2015, I went into the AKB48 shop and cafe in Akihabara and there were quite a lot of female fans in there, so I do think that although there is probably more male fans for the 48 groups, the female fans for the 48 groups have grown a lot since the beginning days.
 
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz 🇨🇭
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her 💗💛💙
Ship
Wreck
Actually if there were more male idol rock bands maybe I would follow boy groups more ... I know a lot of Japanese groups but didn’t find any BG that is corresponding to my taste :no:
However I like few Jpop male idols 😣
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it depends on the perspective tbh.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread