COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Movie So I finally watched Parasite, twice!! (1 Viewer)

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Looks like everyone and their mother has been raving about this movie this year, and it's won the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes film festival too. There's pretty good Oscar buzz around it as well, heading into Academy Awards season. As someone who considers myself a movie aficionado, especially Asian cinema, I figured I should give it a try. I couldn't find any legal way to watch it where I live, so ended up using torrents to download :lisalaugh:

Anyway, I've been a fan of the director Bong Joon Ho's work even before this. His 2002 movie Memories of Murder is one of the best crime films in the last 20 years, and starred Song Kang Ho, who also stars in this one. For people unfamiliar with that name, he's basically top of the food chain as far as Korean actors go. Think Robert De Niro/DiCaprio/Daniel Day Lewis. Alongside him stars Choi Wooshik who was also in Train to Busan (the high school student, Wonder Girl Sohee's boyfriend), Park So Damn Fine ahem, I mean Park So Dam, and Cho Yeojeong (JYP's Fever).

With movies like this, it's tricky because all the hype makes your expectations skyrocket. Thankfully, Parasite not only meets them but shatters them. This is the undisputed best movie of the year, maybe of the last few years. The direction is top notch, in many scenes the movie tells a lot visually without even needing words, which makes you understand the characters and their thoughts so well. When they finally do something, you perfectly understand what their motivation is, and what has compelled them to do that. Kudos also to the excellent acting, which helps realize this vision of the director. The movie also shifts in and out of several tones/genres, and the transitions are so seamless, you don't realize when it's turned from a satire/comedy to a thriller and back again. One particular extended sequence which flits between two locations and shows the contrast during the same time is the highlight, but I don't want to spoil anything. The movie tackles class divide, provides social commentary, but even without that it's still a fascinating watch. One that offers more and more to appreciate on repeated viewings.

Basically, don't miss it. This is my fav Korean film in a long time, I haven't been this impressed since the first time I saw Oldboy maybe.

Reactions Received
Website
www.youtube.com
KS Coins
ahhhh finally a thread about Parasite. I had to watch it illegally too the first time I watched it cuz I didn't really care about the movie at all when it was showing in the cinemas here lol but a few weeks ago a cinema nearby decided to screen it again and ofc I had to watch it twice (I was planning on watching my pirated copy again that time anyways lol)

I gotta say I can't help but think that the ending felt like reading the final lines of a book. A pretty dark ending I gotta say tbh

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
ahhhh finally a thread about Parasite. I had to watch it illegally too the first time I watched it cuz I didn't really care about the movie at all when it was showing in the cinemas here lol but a few weeks ago a cinema nearby decided to screen it again and ofc I had to watch it twice (I was planning on watching my pirated copy again that time anyways lol)

I gotta say I can't help but think that the ending felt like reading the final lines of a book. A pretty dark ending I gotta say tbh
Lol they don't even screen Korean movies or any foreign movies outside big Hollywood blockbusters here :yolk:
Although if it wins something at the Oscars, they might have some limited shows, but unlikely.

I really loved it, that rock could symbolize so many things, it really is metaphorical like Kiwoo said at the start lol. But him finally letting go of it imo symbolizes that he's decided to stop living as a "parasite" and finally move forward honestly. But his goal is so far off and unrealistic, can he ever achieve it? All the while his dad is trapped in the same basement. It was a very bleak ending lol.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I downloaded it illegally but haven't watched it yet.. this movie is everywhere lately it's like the 2019 Train to busan.

Reactions Received
Website
www.youtube.com
KS Coins
Lol they don't even screen Korean movies or any foreign movies outside big Hollywood blockbusters here :yolk:
Although if it wins something at the Oscars, they might have some limited shows, but unlikely.

I really loved it, that rock could symbolize so many things, it really is metaphorical like Kiwoo said at the start lol. But him finally letting go of it imo symbolizes that he's decided to stop living as a "parasite" and finally move forward honestly. But his goal is so far off and unrealistic, can he ever achieve it? All the while his dad is trapped in the same basement. It was a very bleak ending lol.
what did you think Kiwoo was gonna do with the rock during the party? I'd like to think that he started seeing the rock as bad luck and wanted to reconcile with the people in the basement by giving it to them, although it could be that he just straight up wanted to kill them lol

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
what did you think Kiwoo was gonna do with the rock during the party? I'd like to think that he started seeing the rock as bad luck and wanted to reconcile with the people in the basement by giving it to them, although it could be that he just straight up wanted to kill them lol
Oh I definitely think he was looking to straight up kill them lol. They literally had their worst night ever thanks to the sudden discovery of the basement and the old housekeeper's husband, and I think he wanted to get rid of them for good so the family could move on to their real plans and he finally gets to marry his student and stuff :yolk:
It's only after waking up from a coma, finding his sister's dead and discovering his father is alive in the basement when he finally gets his shit together and decides to let go of his greed/schemes.

EDIT: Also wait, you're a Miracle? :nakypog::sj_weary:

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
same here, i was so surprised that they brought it to theaters in my country that i had to see it three times and it just got better each time. what an amazing movie tbh. one of my favourites this year.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
same here, i was so surprised that they brought it to theaters in my country that i had to see it three times and it just got better each time. what an amazing movie tbh. one of my favourites this year.
Yes, I find new details and themes to appreciate every time lol. You can find so many connecting links and symbolism too on repeated viewing, which makes it even better. It also gets funnier for some reason lmao.

I love how their home is like this semi-basement type. They literally are so low they almost live underground, but they can get a small glimpse of the outside world/neighbourhood, which you can say symbolizes their hopes/aspirations of living a better life despite their current condition.
Then of course the rich house is luxuriant af, has their own balcony and garden, the French Window through which they get a complete view of the world outside. And in the end, the father ends up in the basement, completely buried and cut off from everything lol.

Reactions Received
Website
www.youtube.com
KS Coins
Oh I definitely think he was looking to straight up kill them lol. They literally had their worst night ever thanks to the sudden discovery of the basement and the old housekeeper's husband, and I think he wanted to get rid of them for good so the family could move on to their real plans and he finally gets to marry his student and stuff :yolk:
It's only after waking up from a coma, finding his sister's dead and discovering his father is alive in the basement when he finally gets his shit together and decides to let go of his greed/schemes.

EDIT: Also wait, you're a Miracle? :nakypog::sj_weary:
yep! ulting OMG rn tbh
I love how their home is like this semi-basement type. They literally are so low they almost live underground, but they can get a small glimpse of the outside world/neighbourhood, which you can say symbolizes their hopes/aspirations of living a better life despite their current condition.
Then of course the rich house is luxuriant af, has their own balcony and garden, the French Window through which they get a complete view of the world outside. And in the end, the father ends up in the basement, completely buried and cut off from everything lol.
I also like to think about the fact that they're just halfway underground means that they're not at the bottom but definitely not at the top too although that's from my own perspective lol. Semi basements could mean an entirely different thing for Koreans.

I notice how everyone in the family's somewhat skilled at something, it's just that they're being held back financially and thus not allowing them to pursue other things.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
yep! ulting OMG rn tbh

I also like to think about the fact that they're just halfway underground means that they're not at the bottom but definitely not at the top too although that's from my own perspective lol. Semi basements could mean an entirely different thing for Koreans.

I notice how everyone in the family's somewhat skilled at something, it's just that they're being held back financially and thus not allowing them to pursue other things.
Yess OMG are my ults too :nakypog:
I used to ult Twice and GFriend but OMG just won me over. It started with SSFWL, then I watched all their old stuff, varieties and everything. And then of course Queendom :sanapray:
Who's your bias?

True, they're not completely at the bottom but still pretty downtrodden. Like how they look to steal free wifi from others, or just open their windows for free fumigation and look for that pizza place job lol. But it's interesting how despite all that, they're all skilled at something, but maybe due to societal circumstances or poverty or their own lack of effort/motivation, they haven't achieved much in life.
Kiwoo almost idolizes that Park Seo Joon character and ends up falling for the same girl, wanting to ask her out once she's in Uni etc. I guess he wants to become him in a way.

Reactions Received
Website
www.youtube.com
KS Coins
Yess OMG are my ults too :nakypog:
I used to ult Twice and GFriend but OMG just won me over. It started with SSFWL, then I watched all their old stuff, varieties and everything. And then of course Queendom :sanapray:
Who's your bias?

True, they're not completely at the bottom but still pretty downtrodden. Like how they look to steal free wifi from others, or just open their windows for free fumigation and look for that pizza place job lol. But it's interesting how despite all that, they're all skilled at something, but maybe due to societal circumstances or poverty or their own lack of effort/motivation, they haven't achieved much in life.
Kiwoo almost idolizes that Park Seo Joon character and ends up falling for the same girl, wanting to ask her out once she's in Uni etc. I guess he wants to become him in a way.
Seunghee as of now hehe

i didn't really watch queendom but i did listen to everyone's songs there because the show's lineup of contestants is just too good

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Seunghee as of now hehe

i didn't really watch queendom but i did listen to everyone's songs there because the show's lineup of contestants is just too good
Seunghee is so extra lmao, her reactions during Queendom were a mood. My bias is Candy Leader Hyojung but Yooa is a strong wrecker :sanapray:
You should give Queendom a try when you can, it's very fun and wholesome lol.

Reactions Received
Website
www.youtube.com
KS Coins
Seunghee is so extra lmao, her reactions during Queendom were a mood. My bias is Candy Leader Hyojung but Yooa is a strong wrecker :sanapray:
You should give Queendom a try when you can, it's very fun and wholesome lol.
Btw have you seen The Handmaiden? It's a pretty good movie too and thanks to Oh My Girl, I probably would've heard about that movie sooner LOL

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Btw have you seen The Handmaiden? It's a pretty good movie too and thanks to Oh My Girl, I probably would've heard about that movie sooner LOL
Yes The Handmaiden, I enjoyed it for the plot and ahem........other reasons :jenniesmug:
Did OMG recommend that movie to fans? :yolk:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I really want to try watching it sometime. Iz definitely seems to be the new must see korean movie

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I really want to try watching it sometime. Iz definitely seems to be the new must see korean movie
It's funny and still dark, very layered and subtle too. Watch it whenever you can :sanapray:

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
It's funny and still dark, very layered and subtle too. Watch it whenever you can :sanapray:
I may do that I guess when the holidays are over :sanapray:

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Find somewhere legal to watch it if torrents don't work in Germany :sanapray:
well I think Netflix will for sure get it on their site :sanapray: they have been adding a ton of k- dramas and movies here

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
well I think Netflix will for sure get it on their site :sanapray: they have been adding a ton of k- dramas and movies here
It doesn't add new movies that fast, but hopefully :sanapray:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread