Star Wars : Attack of the Clones Review (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,399
Reactions Received
151,414
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I'm ngl the reason I want to do this review is to shit on the movie because I hated it :wimwim:

But anyway let's get to Wikipedias summary first
The Galactic Republic is threatened by a Separatist movement organized by former Jedi Master Count Dooku. Senator Padmé Amidala comes to Coruscant to vote on a motion to create an army to assist the Jedi against the threat. Narrowly avoiding an assassination attempt upon her arrival, she is placed under the protection of Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Anakin Skywalker. The two Jedi thwart a second attempt on her life and subdue the assassin, Zam Wesell, who is killed by her employer, a bounty hunter, before revealing his identity. The Jedi Council instructs Obi-Wan to find the bounty hunter, while Anakin is tasked to protect Padmé and escort her back to Naboo, where he expresses his romantic feelings for her.

Obi-Wan's investigation leads him to the mysterious ocean planet of Kamino, where he discovers an army of clones being produced for the Republic in a deceased Jedi's name, with bounty hunter Jango Fett serving as their genetic template. Obi-Wan deduces Jango to be the bounty hunter he is seeking, and after a brief battle, places a homing beacon on Jango's ship, the Slave I. Obi-Wan then follows Jango and his clone son, Boba, to the planet Geonosis. Meanwhile, Anakin is troubled by visions of his mother, Shmi, in pain and decides to head to Tatooine with Padmé to save her. Watto reveals that he sold Shmi to moisture farmer Cliegg Lars, who then freed and married her. Cliegg tells Anakin that she was abducted by Tusken Raiders weeks earlier and was likely dead. Anakin ventures out and discovers Shmi at the Tusken campsite, still barely alive, but she dies in his arms. Enraged, Anakin massacres the tribe. He later declares to Padmé that he will find a way to prevent the deaths of those he loves.

On Geonosis, Obi-Wan discovers a Separatist gathering led by Count Dooku, who is developing a droid army with Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray. Obi-Wan transmits his findings to the Jedi Council, but is subdued by Separatist droids. Senate Representative Jar Jar Binks proposes a vote to grant emergency powers to Chancellor Palpatine, where the successful outcome allows the clone army to be authorized. Anakin and Padmé pursue to Geonosis to rescue Obi-Wan, but are captured by Jango.[5] Dooku sentences the trio to death, but they are saved by a battalion of clone troopers led by Yoda, Mace Windu, and other Jedi. Windu beheads Jango during the ensuing chaos. Obi-Wan and Anakin intercept Dooku, and the three engage in a lightsaber battle. Dooku injures Obi-Wan and severs Anakin's right arm, but Yoda intercepts and defends them. Dooku uses Force powers to distract Yoda and flees to Coruscant, where he delivers information for a super-weapon to his Sith master, Darth Sidious. As the Jedi acknowledge the beginning of the Clone Wars, Anakin is fitted with a robotic hand and secretly marries Padmé on Naboo with C-3PO and R2-D2 as witnesses.

And now onto my review
This episode has one bright side. The episode explains a lot of important events that are highly important to the rest of the series, including the original trilogy. It also helps explain a lot of Anakin' traumas that ended up leading to his fall to the dark side. And that being said, that's where the benefits end.

First I want to talk about the acting. Now I'm not picky when it comes to actors. However, I found the actor for Anakin to be highly awkward, primarily because of his monotone delivery. Paired with the cringey line he was often given I found it hard to appreciate the movie when I felt the need to hide from cringe whenever Anakin spoke, which is particulary bad as he is one of the main characters. The other actors were also given cringey lines no doubt, but I did not find their acting to be awkward like his.

Next let's talk about the plot. The plot was quite all over the place, which made the film less enjoyable to me as well. Throughout the film there are 2 separate plots that are completely unconnected. While this isn't unheard of in Star Wars, the second plot had nothing to do with the first plot and appeared to have no common goal, thereby making it feel more like a filler plot rather than anything truly substantial, particulary as there is nothing in the second part that advances the series like the first one does.

Now to talk about the actual plot. I found the first part much more enjoyable. While the parts with Anakin and Padme were cringey and difficult to watch I found Obi Wan's section interesting. Kamino was interesting. The mystery behind it, the erasure of it in the jedi archives, the difficulty getting to it, all that created an interesting aura around it, and honestly I found it quite beautiful as well. The clone system created a whole spin off series, led to super fascinating events like Order 66, and explained a lot about the fall of the Jedi order. All the mystery and confusion around the situation is really something that will be on your mind, and I didn't even quite understand everything about it until a few weeks ago, 14 years after watching the episode for the first time. I'd say this part is well done, without a doubt it's the highlight. One slight issue I have with it is that in the series itself, there's less explanation for what all that meant. I didn't ever figure out all the plot details form it without outside research. This section is also quite short, which I found to be a big shame as it' the only part about the movie I was particularly into.

While that is going on, Anakin and Padme are being cringey and romantic. To be fair romantic scenes are not my cup of tea. Mot romances fall under 2 categories: boring and cringey, with some exceptions of course. Unfortunately, not only does this one fall under cringey, but it falls under drawn out cringey, which makes it so much worse. I can't ignore some of the lines given to Anakin, like his talk about sand being rough and coarse. It's just not good.

Next, he goes with Padme to Tatooine to save his mother. I'm less opposed to this than the mess of a romance happening before. I think that honestly this part represents the beginning of Anakin's turn to the dark side well, given how he handles the sandmen and his own realization that he did something considered wrong. This would be one of my favorite parts of the movie. The rawness of the emotions are the highlights without a doubt, and they connect well with the third movie when Padme dies. This section was also on the shorter side, but I don't think there was much else worth adding. The importance of this part wasn't a drawn out plot device but rather a snapshot of his beginning of the turn to the dark side.

Finally, we have the Jedi being captured Geonosis. This part was my least favorite. There was no reason for it to happen other than to say that the Sith were using a driod army and to show that the clones were finally released. The rest did not need to happen as all it did was provide filler plot. There was no advancement for the rest of the series, no character development, nothing. All it did was give some nice action scenes.

And finally, the movie ends with Anakin and Padme being married. Ewwww. The cheesiness was painful. Thats all I have to say.

Now would I say that no one should watch this movie? No. There are a lot of downsides and it is not enjoyable in the lightest to me. But for people who enjoy cheesy romances and want to learn the history of Star Wars and what happened that led to the future parts of the franchise, it is very much worth watching. Would I say that it's a super enjoyable movie and that you'll be unable to tear yourself away from it? Would I recommend it to someone whos not looking for background info on the series and just wants a fun movie to watch? No way. But it serves the purpose of a connector well. I would give it a 2 out of 5, only because it was effective in connecting plots and Kamino was cool.

@Darth_Felflame @notthatmarko @lexus @TicTok_Togruta @Ashla_K
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
@Darth_berries what did you think about the movie? I'm curious about your opinion :wimwim:
Tbh, I don't remember much of this one. When i watched the prequel i watched all three in the row xd Only thing i can remember is the arena battle and i thought that was pretty cool.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,399
Reactions Received
151,414
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Tbh, I don't remember much of this one. When i watched the prequel i watched all three in the row xd Only thing i can remember is the arena battle and i thought that was pretty cool.
I wish I could forget it :wimwim:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I wish I could forget it :wimwim:
Tbh, it didn't leave big impression on me, there just wasn't many memorable moments compared to some other ones.
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
Istg Anakin sounds more like a sexual predator than someone that likes Padme, I had this feeling that he was making her feel uncomfortable af especially the first few times they talk. Her face is constantly in a state of disgust or smn... So yea, wouldn't watch that again if you payed me.

And as you said the parts where there is no Anakin, are good :haylul: for the most part in particular the Clone making part. I def agree with a lot of what you said too.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,399
Reactions Received
151,414
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Istg Anakin sounds more like a sexual predator than someone that likes Padme, I had this feeling that he was making her feel uncomfortable af especially the first few times they talk. Her face is constantly in a state of disgust or smn... So yea, wouldn't watch that again if you payed me.

And as you said the parts where there is no Anakin, are good :haylul: for the most part in particular the Clone making part. I def agree with a lot of what you said too.
Oof true, he came off really creepy with her
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread