Movie Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi Review (1 Viewer)

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
WARNING! THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS EP. VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI!

I have now completed the original trilogy and what a trilogy it was!

We start out the movie Tatooine With Luke trying to bargain with Jabba the Hutt to get Han Solo back and can I just say how much I LOVE the first act of these movies! Whether it's R2-D2 and C-3PO escaping in a pod and getting captured by Jawa traders or Luke getting K.O'd by a Yeti, I like how the writers give us a mini adventure before the actual plot of the movie starts to fall into place. It makes the world of Star Wars just feel so much more real, knowing that our heroes have other things going on in their lives that doesn't exclusively revolve around the rebellion especially since Leia was the only one who actually started out the story by being a member. The whole fight scene where they are trying to defeat Jabba and the Sarlacc kind of reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean (maybe because of Luke walking the plank lol) and it made me wonder whether Star Wars may have been an influence on those movies.

This movie was once again written my George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan with uncredited contributions from David Peoples (Blade Runner) and the movie's director, Richard Marquand. Lucas and Kasdan did a really great job but I can't help but realise that one of the issues that I have with A New Hope has returned and that's the lack of emotion in certain scenes, now this mainly revolves around the revelation that Luke and Leia are actually brother and sister as someone who knew they were siblings already coming into the movies I was kind of disappointed by the eventual reveal plus I found both characters' reactions to be a little strange. I get that they were 'connected by the Force' and 'deep down they always knew' but I call bullsh*t! If y'all really knew then why the hell did y'all kiss in the second movie??? I think the whole 'we always knew' thing was kind of a cop out on the writers' side of things so they could shoe horn the reveal into the movie without spending too much time on it. Another element of the movie that I took issue with was the rushed redemption of Darth Vader! I mean, I know that he had to have a face turn eventually but I wish they had foreshadowed it a little more and showed us more of his inner thought processes throughout the movie.

On the positive side, I found Han Solo to be a lot more likeable in this movie than he was in The Empire Strikes Back and I really liked the way that they developed his and Leia's relationship. There felt like there was a lot more mutual respect there this time and I found myself cringing a lot less at their interactions with one another. I also fell in love with the Ewoks! They are such pure, good creatures and I want to join their tribe too! I thought it was VERY disrespectful of C-3PO to describe their language as 'primitive and it was only of many times when I found myself wanting to reach through my screen and slap the gold bastard!

Another improvement here was the visual effects (again, I'm watching the version of the movie that's available on Disney+ and not the original), I found that this time around the adding scenes fitting into the original footage a lot more smoothly than in the first instalment and I'm gonna take the VERY controversial stance that I actually LIKE the Jedi Rock! I thought it was fun and I found myself shimmying my shoulders a little as that alien lady sang her song. I watched this comparison video on YouTube of all of the changes they made from the original and actually found myself PREFERRING the new versions, admittedly most of the changes were minor and unnecessary but as long as they look good and don't take you out of the movie like the scenes in A New Home did then I personally don't have an issue with it.

In conclusion, I really liked this movie albeit not as much as the first.
3.5 Stars out of 5

and here's my personal ranking of the original trilogy:​
  1. A New Hope​
  2. Return of the Jedi​
  3. The Empire Strikes Back​
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I used to love this one a lot as a kid, less so now but it was still one of the ones I like more :sanapray:
Yeah, I really enjoyed this one too. I'm starting the Phantom Menace right now and let's just say, mesa worried...
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,398
Reactions Received
151,411
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Yeah, I really enjoyed this one too. I'm starting the Phantom Menace right now and let's just say, mesa worried...
Yeah its...interesting :wimwim:
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
another one :sanapray: you really are the hero
 
  • Haha
Reactions: JakeyWantsCakey
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I have now completed the original trilogy and what a trilogy it was!​
​
Glad you liked it.

We start out the movie Tatooine With Luke trying to bargain with Jabba the Hutt to get Han Solo back and can I just say how much I LOVE the first act of these movies! Whether it's R2-D2 and C-3PO escaping in a pod and getting captured by Jawa traders or Luke getting K.O'd by a Yeti,
The creature in question is called a Wampa.
,
I like how the writers give us a mini adventure before the actual plot of the movie starts to fall into place. It makes the world of Star Wars just feel so much more real, knowing that our heroes have other things going on in their lives that doesn't exclusively revolve around the rebellion especially since Leia was the only one who actually started out the story by being a member. The whole fight scene where they are trying to defeat Jabba and the Sarlacc kind of reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean (maybe because of Luke walking the plank lol) and it made me wonder whether Star Wars may have been an influence on those movies.
You may be right. Star Wars was very influential in the way movies were made.

This movie was once again written my George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan with uncredited contributions from David Peoples (Blade Runner) and the movie's director, Richard Marquand. Lucas and Kasdan did a really great job but I can't help but realise that one of the issues that I have with A New Hope has returned and that's the lack of emotion in certain scenes, now this mainly revolves around the revelation that Luke and Leia are actually brother and sister as someone who knew they were siblings already coming into the movies I was kind of disappointed by the eventual reveal plus I found both characters' reactions to be a little strange. I get that they were 'connected by the Force' and 'deep down they always knew' but I call bullsh*t! If y'all really knew then why the hell did y'all kiss in the second movie??? I think the whole 'we always knew' thing was kind of a cop out on the writers' side of things so they could shoe horn the reveal into the movie without spending too much time on it.
Back when the prequel triligy was being released; there was some kind of weird fascination with incest. Fans used to joke about Luke and Leia being an incestous couple. Do you know what was a common fan made "Sith name" for Luke? Darth Cestous.

Another element of the movie that I took issue with was the rushed redemption of Darth Vader! I mean, I know that he had to have a face turn eventually but I wish they had foreshadowed it a little more and showed us more of his inner thought processes throughout the movie.
I'm not sure you're right on this point. There was this belief of Luke's that there was still some good on Vader that he expressed to Leia and to Vader himself; that there was conflict inside of him. That's contrasted to Vader's firm belief that he was beyond redemption; belief that was eventually proven wrong. The thing that maybe could make anyone doubtful about this might be Vader's ruthless behavior during The Empire Strikes Back. That movie showed a hopelessly lost Darth Vader.

On the positive side, I found Han Solo to be a lot more likeable in this movie than he was in The Empire Strikes Back and I really liked the way that they developed his and Leia's relationship. There felt like there was a lot more mutual respect there this time and I found myself cringing a lot less at their interactions with one another.

I also fell in love with the Ewoks! They are such pure, good creatures and I want to join their tribe too!
To my understanding; back in the day, the Ewoks were one of those hated creatures, similar to the reception that Jar Jar Binks got. With Jar Jar was worse since he was a main character, unlike the Ewoks.

I thought it was VERY disrespectful of C-3PO to describe their language as 'primitive and it was only of many times when I found myself wanting to reach through my screen and slap the gold bastard!
There was a point to portray them as primitives. With all their simple ways of life and primitive technology; they obliterated the imperial ground forces. The irony of advanced technology failing to "primitive" technology.

Another improvement here was the visual effects (again, I'm watching the version of the movie that's available on Disney+ and not the original), I found that this time around the adding scenes fitting into the original footage a lot more smoothly than in the first instalment and I'm gonna take the VERY controversial stance that I actually LIKE the Jedi Rock!
I started a topic a few days ago about Star Wars music were I posted both the Lapti Nek and the Jedi Rocks. After all these years; I have no preference, but back in the day, the fans hated the changes mainly because Lucas was messing with the movies they loved. I remember myself watching those acene in amazement of something that had no past inside a movie that I thought I knew well. I had not much of a negative reaction; but many fans felt offended.

I thought it was fun and I found myself shimmying my shoulders a little as that alien lady sang her song. I watched this comparison video on YouTube of all of the changes they made from the original and actually found myself PREFERRING the new versions, admittedly most of the changes were minor and unnecessary but as long as they look good and don't take you out of the movie like the scenes in A New Home did then I personally don't have an issue with it.
Despite what any of the old fans may say; I prefer the new versions with a few minor reservations.

and here's my personal ranking of the original trilogy
  1. A New Hope​
  2. Return of the Jedi​
  3. The Empire Strikes Back​
My personal ranking is:
  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Return of the Jedi
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
​
Glad you liked it.

​
The creature in question is called a Wampa.
,
​
You may be right. Star Wars was very influential in the way movies were made.

​
Back when the prequel triligy was being released; there was some kind of weird fascination with incest. Fans used to joke about Luke and Leia being an incestous couple. Do you know what was a common fan made "Sith name" for Luke? Darth Cestous.

​
I'm not sure you're right on this point. There was this belief of Luke's that there was still some good on Vader that he expressed to Leia and to Vader himself; that there was conflict inside of him. That's contrasted to Vader's firm belief that he was beyond redemption; belief that was eventually proven wrong. The thing that maybe could make anyone doubtful about this might be Vader's ruthless behavior during The Empire Strikes Back. That movie showed a hopelessly lost Darth Vader.




​
To my understanding; back in the day, the Ewoks were one of those hated creatures, similar to the reception that Jar Jar Binks got. With Jar Jar was worse since he was a main character, unlike the Ewoks.

​
There was a point to portray them as primitives. With all their simple ways of life and primitive technology; they obliterated the imperial ground forces. The irony of advanced technology failing to "primitive" technology.

​
I started a topic a few days ago about Star Wars music were I posted both the Lapti Nek and the Jedi Rocks. After all these years; I have no preference, but back in the day, the fans hated the changes mainly because Lucas was messing with the movies they loved. I remember myself watching those acene in amazement of something that had no past inside a movie that I thought I knew well. I had not much of a negative reaction; but many fans felt offended.

​
Despite what any of the old fans may say; I prefer the new versions with a few minor reservations.

​
My personal ranking is:
  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Return of the Jedi
Yeah, I know that Luke had mentioned repeatedly that he saw good in his father but my issue was more that we didn’t see any evidence of that in Vader’s actions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Yeah, I know that Luke had mentioned repeatedly that he saw good in his father but my issue was more that we didn’t see any evidence of that in Vader’s actions.
No need to see anything physically. Last time they met; Luke had been already training with Yoda, so he sensed it. Maybe it was made up for the last installment, but it makes sense to me and doesn't feel forced.
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
What if Rainbow only gives me 20 points per review though?
Lol I don't dw I'm not evil I judge you as harshly as I would anyone. you got around 140 or so for the last two i think, individually, so 280 or smn.
​
Glad you liked it.

​
The creature in question is called a Wampa.
,
​
You may be right. Star Wars was very influential in the way movies were made.

​
Back when the prequel triligy was being released; there was some kind of weird fascination with incest. Fans used to joke about Luke and Leia being an incestous couple. Do you know what was a common fan made "Sith name" for Luke? Darth Cestous.

​
I'm not sure you're right on this point. There was this belief of Luke's that there was still some good on Vader that he expressed to Leia and to Vader himself; that there was conflict inside of him. That's contrasted to Vader's firm belief that he was beyond redemption; belief that was eventually proven wrong. The thing that maybe could make anyone doubtful about this might be Vader's ruthless behavior during The Empire Strikes Back. That movie showed a hopelessly lost Darth Vader.




​
To my understanding; back in the day, the Ewoks were one of those hated creatures, similar to the reception that Jar Jar Binks got. With Jar Jar was worse since he was a main character, unlike the Ewoks.

​
There was a point to portray them as primitives. With all their simple ways of life and primitive technology; they obliterated the imperial ground forces. The irony of advanced technology failing to "primitive" technology.

​
I started a topic a few days ago about Star Wars music were I posted both the Lapti Nek and the Jedi Rocks. After all these years; I have no preference, but back in the day, the fans hated the changes mainly because Lucas was messing with the movies they loved. I remember myself watching those acene in amazement of something that had no past inside a movie that I thought I knew well. I had not much of a negative reaction; but many fans felt offended.

​
Despite what any of the old fans may say; I prefer the new versions with a few minor reservations.

​
My personal ranking is:
  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Return of the Jedi
I like how all 3 of our rankings are completely different
Mines:

1. Return of The Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope

each of us just moved them all by 1 lol
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
The start of this one is honestly what makes me like it so much, as you said it's really like a mini adventure before the actual story and the whole desert setting is really nicely emphasized by just a tad bit of color from the ship and the characters. Definitely a well written review , and your hate for C3-PO is fascinating :haylul: I never minded him that much really, he's a bit annoying but like he's better than... some... gungans... *cough* *cough*
 

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
The start of this one is honestly what makes me like it so much, as you said it's really like a mini adventure before the actual story and the whole desert setting is really nicely emphasized by just a tad bit of color from the ship and the characters. Definitely a well written review , and your hate for C3-PO is fascinating :haylul: I never minded him that much really, he's a bit annoying but like he's better than... some... gungans... *cough* *cough*
Yeah, I'm just not a very big fan of characters that are written to be purposefully annoying and DON'T WORRY I'm writing my Phantom Menace review right now and I'm about to read JarJar for FILTH!
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
What if Rainbow only gives me 20 points per review though?
my twin is super nice despite being the lord of the dark :maheart: so no worries
 
  • Love
Reactions: JakeyWantsCakey

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread