Star Wars for Newbies Pt. 4.1- The Republic vs The Empire (1 Viewer)

Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
This is part of a series of informative threads about Star Wars. If you missed the others, you can find them here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 3.2

Disclaimer: The Star Wars Universe has extended a lot since the first trilogies 40 years ago and now includes what is called the Expanded Universe (EU) to portray all the events, even thousands of years prior to the movies. In this thread I'd reference some things from that timeline but I'll mostly stick to the events seen in the movies, this is from 32 BBY* to 34/35 ABY.*

As I mentioned in my previous thread about the Jedi and the Sith, both organizations have been going around for thousands of years before the conficts shown in the movies begin. In the years after the renegade Jedi and his followers were expelled from the order and exiled to the lost ends of the galaxy, they manage to flourish and gain adepts and then, the Sith reign grew powerful and techologically advanced enough to create super weapons and conquer neighboring planets in what was called the Old Sith Empire. Eventually, this took them to clash with a group of other goverments unified under the name of Galatic Republic*, who didn't agree with the Sith way of doing things, to which the Jedi as natural enemies of the Sith summed up, in what is known as The Great Hyperspace War or The Great War.



The ideals of the Republic were to bring peace, justice and democracy to the Galaxy and once the Old Sith Empire was defeated, they started to expand those ideals to every part of the galaxy. The Jedi played an important role in this efforts as peace keepers and protectors, without accepting political interference from any government, just as they kept themselves out of politics. The Republic worked with a parlamentarian system in which every planet had to choose a senator in order to be represented in the Galactic senate. At the same time, a Chancellor was elected among the senators in order to officiate sessions in the Senate chamber and to serve as head representative of The Republic.



The Republic was able to maintain economic growth and peace for many, many years with the help of the Jedi until it started to grow indolent and corrupt. Many senators became so preoccupied of their own political gains and how to use burocrasy to enrich themselves, that the economic disparity between the planets on the inner rim (closer to Coruscant, planet base of The Jedi Counsil and The Galactic Senate headquarters) and the Outer Rim planets (at the border of the galaxy) became irritating and many planetarian goverments started show discontent with the system.

Taking notice of the growing discomfort, the remains of the Sith lead by Darth Plagueis, inserted an apprentice into the political game: Sheev Palpatine/ Darth Sidious.
Palpatine was a Naboo (from the planet Naboo) which Plagueis trained in the dark side of the force and together planned the demise of the Galatic Republic and the Jedi to create a new Sith Empire. Palpatine was indeed a brilliant politician and demonstrated to have enough patience and abilities to built a good reputation while hiding his true intentions. All this master- apprentice efforts came to fruition when Palpatine was finally chosen as Senator for Naboo. What Plagueis never imagined, is that his disciple would eventually betray him to take the new empire for himself.




*BBY/ABY-Before the Battle of Yavin/ After the Battle of Yavin. The Battle of Yavin was the battle in which the Death Star was destroyed. This event is taken in the Star Wars EU as a refference point to divide the official timeline.

*The Galatic Republic: In the new canon, they use the term Old Republic to talk about the Galactic Republic, when in reality, one was born as a reformation of the other. The Old Republic was created thousands of years prior to The Galactic Republic (the one depicted in the precuels) and coexisted for a while with the Old Sith Empire until the last one was vanished. The history of the ancient Galactic Republic can be seen in videogames like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: The Old Republic.



Old Galactic Republic emblem

Thank you for making it this far, I hope you have enjoyed! Since this is the heaviest part of the Star Wars story, I thought was better to make it in parts so it could be easier to digest.
:rjbow: :rjbow:
@notthatmarko @Ahsoka @TicTok_Togruta @perhapz @lexus
 
Last edited:
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Interesting, I was actually not as familiar with the Old Republic and Old Sith Empire so it's cool to learn something new :sanapray:
I'm not that familiarized either but as soon as I found out about the videogames it picked my interest.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Ahsoka

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
queen did it again
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I have been so disconnected with the new canon, that I don't know much of what've been galactic history. I can recognize some of it as part of the old expanded universe, declared "legends" when Disney took over.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ashla_K and yeji
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I have been so disconnected with the new canon, that I don't know much of what've been galactic history. I can recognize some of it as part of the old expanded universe, declared "legends" when Disney took over.
Yes, it's the same. It's kind of confusing though, I actually had to look up to clarify because the term Old Republic is used to for two totally different periods.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Michael
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
When you refer to "expanded universe", do you mean legends?
Yes, everything derivative of the movies. Although I must say that after Disney bought the IP a lot of things aren't canon anymore esp. novels and videogames.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and Michael
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Yes, everything derivative of the movies. Although I must say that after Disney bought the IP a lot of things aren't canon anymore esp. novels and videogames.
Okay, Someone told me that everything, including movies, tv series, comics, etc would join the official canon, after the expanded universe was declared legends. I don't know how accurate it is.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: yeji and Ashla_K
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Okay, Someone told me that everything, including movies, tv series, comics, etc would join the official canon, after the expanded universe was declared legends. I don't know how accurate it is.
I haven't heard about this but I hope it's true. There's a lot of good stuff they could use in the future, like Darth Vader's comic or the war between the Old Sith Empire and The Old Republic.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Michael

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread