[STAYC] I genuinely WANT to understand the hype? (2 Viewers)

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
So there is this group that recently debuted called STAYC and I guess Korea and people on here were freaking out about them. So I went to their channel to learn more about them because their debut song was ok to me and their b-sides were meh as well. I watched their lives too to see if I could see some crazy visuals or stage presence and I came up empty-handed and now I just genuinely want to know why they blew up in a sense before they even debuted?

Like what caused it? Or I guess maybe what more so intrigued you about them?

PSA: This isn't meant to be a hate thread I just am genuinely curious about what happened because as far as I can tell they are just another Kpop group that debuted.
 
Joined
18 June 2020
Messages
651
Reactions Received
1,212
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Other
Pronouns
they/them
So there is this group that recently debuted called STAYC and I guess Korea and people on here were freaking out about them. So I went to their channel to learn more about them because their debut song was ok to me and their b-sides were meh as well. I watched their lives too to see if I could see some crazy visuals or stage presence and I came up empty-handed and now I just genuinely want to know why they blew up in a sense before they even debuted?

Like what caused it? Or I guess maybe what more so intrigued you about them?

PSA: This isn't meant to be a hate thread I just am genuinely curious about what happened because as far as I can tell they are just another Kpop group that debuted.
I also want to know. I mean I loved the song and the girls but I wandered what made them so hyped :susPepe:
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
I also want to know. I mean I loved the song and the girls but I wandered what made them so hyped :susPepe:
Yeah as far as I can see it feels like it's out of nowhere.
 
  • Like
Reactions: floorange

Emanresu

Tzuyu Fanboy
.
Joined
4 December 2018
Messages
3,200
Reactions Received
11,455
Location
USA
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
205
Fandom
Once, Sone
Gender
Male
Hey Cornchips! Long time no see. Hope you're well.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Sorta.

I saw a teaser for their song Like This pre-release that had the chorus part highlighted. And I got soooo hyped. Haven't heard a vocal chorus that just straight embraced catchy pop to that extent in a while. The lead singer Sieun's voice in that song is heaven.

So I was really hyped for their debut. Finally a Kpop group that was gonna go back to releasing unabashed pop. Without all the accoutrements and "insert 10 other styles per song" trend.

I thought that song was gonna be their title and I was kinda blindsided when I found out it wasn't.

I was less enthralled with the title and the rest of their stuff. And I'm not as caught up with their visuals as many seem to be but that is just preference.

Still. I think Sieun's voice is so charming at times, and parts of Like This make me want to stand up and cheer (the central chorus sections where they just sing). It's the kind of pure pop magic they hit at sometimes in that song that I yearn for more in kpop, especially with the trend to often emphasize more mashup like constructions of late where every song is 16 in 1.

So I'm kinda of two minds. I see elements where I think they could put our amazing pop songs, especially given BEP's involvement. And maybe have extreme potential. But I'm not quite on board as others are.

I just listen to Like This every other day and smile.
 

Lovely_Cornchips

Slut for Deep Voices
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
17,947
Reactions Received
38,146
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
16,470
Fandom
inspirit
Gender
Female
Pronouns
Goddess
Ship
Wreck
Hey Cornchips! Long time no see. Hope you're well.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Sorta.

I saw a teaser for their song Like This pre-release that had the chorus part highlighted. And I got soooo hyped. Haven't heard a vocal chorus that just straight embraced catchy pop to that extent in a while. The lead singer Sieun's voice in that song is heaven.

So I was really hyped for their debut. Finally a Kpop group that was gonna go back to releasing unabashed pop. Without all the accoutrements and "insert 10 other styles per song" trend.

I thought that song was gonna be their title and I was kinda blindsided when I found out it wasn't.

I was less enthralled with the title and the rest of their stuff. And I'm not as caught up with their visuals as many seem to be but that is just preference.

Still. I think Sieun's voice is so charming at times, and parts of Like This make me want to stand up and cheer (the central chorus sections where they just sing). It's the kind of pure pop magic they hit at sometimes in that song that I yearn for more in kpop, especially with the trend to often emphasize more mashup like constructions of late where every song is 16 8! 1.

So I'm kinda of two minds. I see elements where I think they could put our amazing pop songs, especially given BEP's involvement. And maybe have extreme potential. But I'm not quite on board as others are.

I just listen to Like This every other day and smile.
I actually am the opposite I hate Sieun's voice it's too....I don't know for me. I prefer the other vocalists I don't know their names but yeah. I don't think their songs are bad but they really don't do anything for me either and I don't find myself wanting to listen to it. I also don't find them ugly but I'm also not completely enthralled by anyone in the group either. So to me they so far are just an ok group.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Emanresu

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
.
.
Joined
22 November 2018
Messages
7,026
Reactions Received
27,656
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L & My
Gender
Female
Ship
I asked this same question some time ago and was told it's because their producer was Black Eyed Pilseung who is a hitmaker in Korea so everyone was looking forward to them... But their song didn't live up to the hype in my opinion and now people just seem to like the girls? I see lots of threads about their visuals so I guess lots of the hype is because they're pretty. They also release A LOT of content compared to other rookies so it makes sense that their fandom would grow because people like their team dynamics/personalities.

They do seem talented though so I will continue to look out for them. I didn't like their debut song but I like a lot of BEP's other songs so if they continue producing for them then I'm bound to like something they release.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

tai

from the land to the sea 🇵🇸
.
Joined
13 December 2019
Messages
15,368
Reactions Received
19,079
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,194
Fandom
#1 🎵taste
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I honestly don't like the maknae's voice :taemsip:
 

tai

from the land to the sea 🇵🇸
.
Joined
13 December 2019
Messages
15,368
Reactions Received
19,079
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
7,194
Fandom
#1 🎵taste
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I don't know who is who but if that is Sieun I agree.
No, it's not her, but I don't like her voice either. J is the one with the like s u p e r deep voice.
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
Well Idk, it's stans hyping them coz a lot of people liked their debut, that's all there is.
They had some hype due to being Black Eyed Pilseung's group, so Koreans and some i-fans were anticipating.

Some other things also helped- 1 or 2 of the members caught netizens' eyes due to their visuals. I think it was Seeun? Even after debut some other members have been praised for being pretty, Yoon has gone semi viral I think.
The group is tbh one of the prettiest I remember seeing- they're all super pretty.

The song was also pretty catchy for me- the prechorus/chorus and the bridge are the best parts, and they all have different vocal tones which complement each other. J and Sumin's deep voices contrasting with Isa/Yoon/Sieun sounds great.

Their live stages have also drawn praise, esp the Inkigayo one with the schoolgirl outfits. They keep hitting new peaks on Melon and Flo daily.

Also Sieun is a former JYP trainee who was on King of Masked Singer, and she's also a pretty well known child actress who's been in some famous dramas. She's won an acting award too, all this is predebut.

Personally, I actually really like the song, which seems to be the general consensus on Twitter/Reddit and some other places too, so when you look at all these things, you can kinda see why they sort of blew up. They've already sold 12-13K albums on Hanteo and stocked out twice, which is pretty good. And digitally too they were the best performing rookies this year before Aespa debuted.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread