The #1 Biggest Hit of Each Year (1 Viewer)

bulletproof

✧ @karina is the eva to my noora ✧
.
.
Joined
2 September 2018
Messages
12,423
Reactions Received
54,952
Location
ARMY base 💕
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
55
Gender
Female
Ship


Do you agree with these songs for their year?
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I wonder how this chart was measured? Cause some of these feel like they are based off of being played on the radio a lot and idk nowadays I don't really look at the radio as an indicator of popularity since I know no one around my age listening to the radio lol
 
Last edited:
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
no Gangnam Style

so no...
gangnam style was a joke song to a lot of people. its not as impactful as somebody that you used to know. that shit was on the radio constantly when it came out and its still one of the biggest songs till this day.
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
7,093
Reactions Received
21,568
Location
sin & moon ☽
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
25
Gender
Other
Ship
Wreck
gangnam style was a joke song to a lot of people. its not as impactful as somebody that you used to know. that shit was on the radio constantly when it came out and its still one of the biggest songs till this day.
still no gangnam style
:pandamad:
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
still no gangnam style
:pandamad:
tbh i'd argue 2012 was actually between gangnam style and Call Me Baby
gangnam style was a joke song to a lot of people. its not as impactful as somebody that you used to know. that shit was on the radio constantly when it came out and its still one of the biggest songs till this day.
I mean if I remember correctly somebody that you used to know was meme'd pretty relentlessly and made fun of. I don't think it got popular off of being a good song but because the m/v was weird and the lyrics were memeable lol
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
2,548
Reactions Received
9,068
Location
under these bitches skin
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
tbh i'd argue 2012 was actually between gangnam style and Call Me Baby

I mean if I remember correctly somebody that you used to know was meme'd pretty relentlessly and made fun of. I don't think it got popular off of being a good song but because the m/v was weird and the lyrics were memeable lol
yeah, somebody that I used to know had a lot of jokes and memes. but gangnam style was mainly a joke for a lot of people when it got popular all I really saw were people joking about it. somebody that I used to know was a song that people actually liked and knew about. I remember the song being on the radio all the time. every popular song has some jokes and memes that go with it but people actually like the song and dont really treat it as a joke song. I'm not saying that Gangnam style was a bad song but a lot of people treated it as a joke.
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Anyone here miss the mother monster compared to Ballad Gaga? Lol
the best gaga honestly

But I feel like she's flexing her talent now since so many people use to just see her as gimmicky though she was actually doing like perfomance art stuff but whatevs
 
Joined
14 November 2018
Messages
1,062
Reactions Received
4,547
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
the best gaga honestly

But I feel like she's flexing her talent now since so many people use to just see her as gimmicky though she was actually doing like perfomance art stuff but whatevs
Yeah oh yeah we need this song on the list as well tbh, this was BEYOND EPIC, two queens...

 
  • Like
Reactions: QueenB and gongchan

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I disagree with 2011 and 2018.

On what planet was Rolling In The Deep a bigger hit than Someone Like You? And although Divide was a HUGE album by Ed Sheeran, I wouldn't say that Perfect was the biggest hit of last year, at least not where I live it wasn't...
 
  • Like
Reactions: QueenB

Sana

#1 Sana Stan
.
Joined
6 March 2019
Messages
3,439
Reactions Received
11,871
Location
Germany
Website
www.kpopsource.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
So because I'm bored atm I'll take a look at every single one of those and rate them from 1 to 5, but not based on my opinion, but on how often I've heard the song or I've seen other people listening to it. Furthermore I'm gonna compare this list to the official german charts and also rate them.
At the end I'll add my personal hit of the year, based on popularity AND my opinion.

1998
List : Celine Dion - My heart will go on 5/5
German Charts : My heart will go on 5/5
"My" Hit : I was born in 2001, so I can't really say much about this till ~2005 maybe, I'll just skip this part for now

Comment : This is a song actually everyone knows. I also kinda like it, even if I would not consider myself old-fashioned

1999
List : Cher - Believe 2,5/5
German Charts : Lou Bega -Mamboo Nr. 5 5/5
"My" Hit : Skip

Comment : I've heard about the Song in the list before, but hell, it took me 2 times to recognize I've ever heard about it. Plus " #1 Hits" are most likely to be popular even a "few" years after, and this song just reached a bit more over 8mill views on YT. I don't only want to argue with the YT views, but I hope you got my point.
Mamboo Nr 5 is a song I would recognize instantly if someone would give me the instrumentals, nothing more to add, I don't think I know a person who doesn't know the song

2000

List : Madonna - Music 5/5
German Charts : Anton ft. DJ Ötzi - Anton aus Tirol 5/5
"My" Hit : Skip

Comment : I can't really compare this since german music was still popular back then, but I can just say that there is probably no person i know ( around my age or older ofc ) who doesn't know those songs

2001

List : Shaggy - It wasn't me 4.5/5
German Charts : No Angels - Daylight in your Eyes 2/5
"My" Hit : Skip


Comment : Shaggy's song is still popular up to today. Compared to "It wasn't me", "Daylight in your Eyes" is just another song I've got to know years ago through the radio. I couldn't have told you who the artist is if you would've asked me, so I'll give this one 2 points since I atleast knew the song I guess.
Funfact : "It wasn't me" is placed #20 in the Official German Charts at the end of the year lol

2002

List : Shakira - Whenever, Wherever 5/5
German Charts : Las Ketchup - The Ketchup Song 5/5
"My" Hit : Skip

Comment : Close one on this, Shakira was #2 in the German Charts. Back when i was in primary school the ketchup song was still a huge meme ( I would just somehow consider this as a troll song ), while Shakira is a superstar with a good hit. Both of them made great hits here

2003

List : Evanescence - Bring me to Life 5/5
German Charts : DSDS ( equal to "America's Got Talent" ) - We Have A Dream 0/5
"My" Hit : Skip

Comment : Not much to say, Bring me to Life is a great song which still has a lot of people listening to it, including myself. Till now, I would consider this as the "most accurate Hit", dunno how to express my thoughts.
Meanwhile I've never heard about the German thingy, seems to be a compilation of the top 10 from that show. I think it was a hit back then because it was the first season of the show that aired in my country. I even asked some friends if they know this song and nope, they don't

2004

List : Maroon 5 - This love 2/5
German Charts : O-Zone Dragostea Din Tei 5/5
"My" Hit :

Cool song from Maroon 5, but never expected it to be a great hit, ofc I can't remember much of chart hypes when I was around 3 back then, but I guess this is the first one I really have to disagree with completely. I could name u way more songs from 2004 that probably were more popular in my country, which is why I can't agree with this one. I don't want to hate the song or anything, this is just my POV
O-Zone's Dragostea Din Tei is somehow similar to the Ketchup Song, if u want to know more about my experience, just scroll up again.

2005

List : Green Day - Boulevard of broken dreams 5/5
German Charts : Schnappi - Schnappi, das kleine Krokodil -5/5
"My" Hit : Tokio Hotel - Durch den Monsun 5/5

Green day is still so popular and it is a song I can remember very well, because my mom listened to it so often back then. It was played almost everywhere and I would consider it as a good hit.
Schnappi das kleine Krokodil : I'm not going to say anything about it, just look at it if you want to know what it is about

But personally I would consider Tokio Hotel as the winner in my country, since it placed #2 in the german charts and some "Radio Boxes" were available at McDonalds with some popular songs, including Green Day's BOBD and Durch den Monsun. They were a teenager dream back then

2006

List : Shakira - Hips don't lie 4.5/5
German Charts : Bob Sinclar - Love Generation 5/5
"My" Hit : Bob Sinclar - Love Generation 5/5

Everything I mentioned above about Shakira's previous hit applies here, too.
But I don't think I have to mention that the FIFA Football cup was hosted in germany in 2006, which is why this song is also on top of this list.

2007

List : Rihanna - Umbrella 5/5
German Charts : DJ Ötzi - Ein Stern 5/5
"My" Hit : Rihanna - Umbrella 5/5

Rihannas breakthrough era,
  • popular back then
  • everyone knows the chorus
  • popular till now
DJ Ötzi just with another german song that is well known here, but since "My" Hit is about my personal preference, I won't go with the german song for sure :D

2008

List : Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love 4/5
German Charts : Timbaland - Apologize 5/5
"My" Hit : Katy Perry - I kissed a girl 5/5

I could just start with a "bla bla this song is well known..." but ofc it is, its still a worldwide hit, why should it not deserve this win tho? But theres nothing more I could add, so I can not fully agree here.
Apologize is probably the song almost everyone I know would point out here, some would also mention "Ich + Ich" aswell, but hell I know both of them almost by heart and I will agree with both of them. But for me personally, I kissed a girl was way better and had its own spring/summer era imo.

2009

List : Lady Gaga - Poker Face 5/5
German Charts : Lady Gaga - Poker Face 5/5
"My" Hit : Lady Gaga - Poker Face 5/5

Ok next one

2010
List : Katy Perry - California Gurls 5/5
German Charts : Isreal IZ - Over the Rainbow 5/5
"My" Hit : Lena Meyer-Landrut Satellite 5/5

I don't think I have to argue about Katy Perry, cause I would also mention this song if Lena wasn't there. Over the Rainbow was somehow popular and I still don't get why ( too lazy to research, I've already been writing and researching for around 50mins atm ).
Because of the Eurovision Song Contest and the fact that Lena won the ESC bringing a huge hype into our country including a famous FIFA Soccer cup parody to this song just made this one unforgettable

2011

List : Adele - Rolling in the Deep 5/5
German Charts : Jennifer Lopez - On the Floor 4/5
"My" Hit : Adele - Rolling in the Deep 5/5

Adele was so outstanding this year and even tho I really did not like the song back then and I would consider myself being neutral to it atm, I have to admit that my POV on the songs in 2011 won't change a thing and this is indeed the hit of the year.

2012

List : GOTYE - Somebody that I used to know 4.75/5
German Charts : Michel Telo - Ai se eu te pego! 4.5/5
"My" Hit : Gangnam Style 6/5

I don't think I have to argue why gangnam style is superior here. I don't get how other songs are listed above a song everyone was hyped to.
Gangnam Style is ranked #8 and there is a song above that I don't know at all. 2012 was probably my fav year with Rihanna "Diamonds", The "I follow you aka I follow rivers" thingy and call me maybe.

2013
List : Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines 3/5
German Charts : Avicii - Wake me up 5/5
"My" Hit : Skip, too many i love and this year was also one of the best.
Honorable Mentions : Radioactive, Let her go, Safe and sound, Get lucky, Hall of fame, ...

Blurred Lines ranked #2 in the german charts, but was morely unpopular like either u really liked it or u hated it. Just another Justin Bieber thingy and after about half a month I already forgot this song, like many other people I know
Wake me up had its own hype here and I would fully agree with a person mentioning any of the honorable mentions or Avicii.

2014

List : Pharrell Williams - Happy 5/5
German Charts : Helene Fischer - Atemlos durch die Nacht 5/5
"My" Hit : Pharrell Williams - Happy 5/5

Atemlos durch die Nacht is another song morely 30+ and especially 50+ yo people seemed to like, among other people this was still a meme.
I would consider Happy and Atemlos durch die Nacht as legit POVs, everything else is prob not #1 worthy

2015

List : Mark Ronson - Uptown funk 3/5
German Charts : Omi - Cheerleader 5/5
"My" Hit : Namika - Lieblingsmensch 5/5

Uptown funk placed #22 in germany, guess that argument is good enough.
Omi had his own style and brought a cool song with own vibes, which is why it prob was so popular. But around everyone I know, people would prob mention Namika or Felix Jaehn. I would go with the german song, cause it kinda had its own era here imo and the fact everyone knew the lyrics is also a huge +++

2016

List : Justin Timberlake - Cant stop the feeling 4/5
German Charts : Alan Walker - Faded 5/5
"My" Hit : Faded 5/5

Justin Timberlake had a huge hype, but was only able to place #10 in germany. Other artists were probably too strong and that cool song just kinda was unable to fight itself on top. I personally would give it a 5/5 too, but literally noone would consider this one as #1 here.
I'll go with Faded.

2017

List : Ed Sheeran - Shape of you 5/5
German Charts : Ed Sheeran - Shape of you 5/5
"My" Hit : Ed Sheeran - Shape of you 5/5

Ok cool

2018

List : Ed Sheeran - Perfect 5/5
German Charts : Dynoro - In my mind 4/5
"My" Hit : Dynoro - In my mind 5/5

Ed Sheeran placed 2nd, but was unable to fight itself up against a song almost noone I know knows, thats weird. I personally know that song and I really love it, which is why i give a +1 point there in my personal POV. Since it placed #1 in the charts too I would just consider this song as the winner here, but 2018 was indeed a weird year for the charts. But I would not disagree with Ed Sheeran's Perfect either.


Sorry for all the Grammar and Spelling mistakes, this took me legit over one hour even tho I planned to do this in 10min
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread