The interesting journey of underwhelmed (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,395
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I’m sure many of you have felt overwhelmed. I’m sure many of you have also felt underwhelmed. But how many of you have been whelmed?

Interestingly, whelm is the first of these words to appear in English. It was used to mean being buried or submerged, like when waves are capsizing your boat. After some time, people wanted to emphasize just how buried or submerged they were. That gave birth to overwhelm.

Initially overwhelm was just used to mean physically being under as well, just exaggerated. But over time, it took on a metaphorical meaning as well. This flexibility eventually led to whelm becoming a dead word, while overwhelm took its place.

What's interesting is that underwhelm only makes its first appearance in English in the mid 1900s—centuries after the other two from the 1400s. In some ways, it was the 1900s equivalent of people nowadays saying they feel quite "gruntled" (that’s apparently thing). But because underwhelm appeared long after overwhelm became mostly metaphorical, it never actually adopted any physical meaning like the other two had.

So between the three versions of this word, 2 have a physical aspect (whelm and overwhelm) and 2 have a metaphorical one (overwhelm and underwhelm), and only one has both (overwhelm)."
Really interesting stuff (imo) :sanapray:
 

StrayMixx

aka Chiara
.
.
Joined
12 September 2020
Messages
40,180
Reactions Received
46,842
Location
in Bang Chan's head
Website
www.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
182,327
Fandom
mainly bg
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
did you get this from a humanteneleven video? bc I just saw one from him that was about this very topic the other day lol
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,395
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
did you get this from a humanteneleven video? bc I just saw one from him that was about this very topic the other day lol
No, I watch his channel but I didn’t see that one. I actually got it from another video :lisalaugh:
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,395
Reactions Received
151,406
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
did you get this from a humanteneleven video? bc I just saw one from him that was about this very topic the other day lol
I take it back, yes I did. I mixed up the source :haylul:
 

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,180
Reactions Received
52,518
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,696
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
underwhelming as well?

I do not really use it unless prompted
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,180
Reactions Received
52,518
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,696
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread